+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying through the self-employment stream whilst in Canada

rhysdg

Apr 18, 2018
Hi there!

First of all, it's my first time posting here so hello everyone and I hope you're all well. I have a quick question but first a little background - My wife and I are currently living and working in Toronto with the IEC program and it's due to to expire in 3 months. We've been collecting all the information we need to apply through express entry, including taking IELTS test and having our degree certificates convereted. However, we're both self-employed / freelance as we both work in theatre and I'm beginning to wonder whether the self-employment stream is the best option for us as our Canadian work experience falls short of the minimum requirements due to the nature of our work.

Given all of this my question is this - should we choose to go for the self-employment option, understanding that there iis a 48 month max processing period, would we be eligible for a bridging visa or an open work permit or would we have to leave Canada while our application is being processed?

Thanks for your time,

Rhys

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
There are reports that federal self employed are being processed much quicker than the stated 48 months.

The CIC website does detail applying for an open work permit as a self employed so it seems it is a possibility and theatre / cultural is a fit for the type of self employment allowed.

If you go for it keep us posted!