+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PR for new born kid in USA

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Hi - I soft landed and became PR in Sep 2017. Since then I have been living and working in US. Now, I have decided to move to Canada in Jun 2019. However, I want to apply PR for my kid recently born in US. Can I do that while I am in US ?

Thanks !

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
No. You can't

One of the parent has to be in Canada ( and establish residence) while PR of child is being processed.

Can she travel on US passport while I travel on PR card ? Once we are in Canada, we can initiate PR process for her. Till then, she can continue to live with us on US passport. How long can she do that ?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes. She can enter Canada on her US passport. No visa required for first 6 months as she is US citizen.
Yes. Once you are in Canada you can start her PR process. PR for her will take 8-12 months. At 5th month mark file an application with IRCC to extend her visitor status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can she travel on US passport while I travel on PR card ? Once we are in Canada, we can initiate PR process for her. Till then, she can continue to live with us on US passport. How long can she do that ?
Note that depending on the province, your child may not have access to provincial health coverage while waiting for PR.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Yes. She can enter Canada on her US passport. No visa required for first 6 months as she is US citizen.
Yes. Once you are in Canada you can start her PR process. PR for her will take 8-12 months. At 5th month mark file an application with IRCC to extend her visitor status.
8-12 months. Is that such a long process ? Any way to speed it up

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will all have 3 month waiting period to get health coverage. Your baby will also have a 3 month wait period so you're looking at a year or more without coverage. Might be a bit less.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You will all have 3 month waiting period to get health coverage. Your baby will also have a 3 month wait period so you're looking at a year or more without coverage. Might be a bit less.
Child coverage will start 4th to 7th month mark after landing if family moves to Ontario once AOR and SA comes. I am still not sure if OHIP child will need to wait for 3 months after SA or not.

You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Child coverage will start 4th to 7th month mark after landing if family moves to Ontario once AOR and SA comes. I am still not sure if OHIP child will need to wait for 3 months after SA or not.

You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
You only qualify at AIP stage not AOR and then you still need to wait 3 months.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You only qualify at AIP stage not AOR and then you still need to wait 3 months.
Actually, I'm not sure that the three months starts at the AIP. It may allow for the previous period of residence to be taken into consideration.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait?
There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.

Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually, I'm not sure that the three months starts at the AIP. It may allow for the previous period of residence to be taken into consideration.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait?
There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.

Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).
Wanted to clarify what I said. If you don't want to wait until you get PR there is a process to prove to OJIP that your 3 month wait period should start now. I may only save you a month but is an option. The procedure is posted on the forum.

ilovepepsi

Mar 19, 2019
Hi prashantgupta8055, I have exactly the same situation with my son, and I just went thru all the process to apply PR and OHIP for him. I can share my experience and timelines and helpfully it'll be helpful for you to do the planning.

Previous answers are right - you have to move into Canada and show them you've permanently settled down before you can apply PR for your kid. I have to provide employer letter, my bank statements, my utility bills etc as the evidence. I think you can't just move in and submit the application, you have to live here for quite a few months and collect the evidence.

Your kid has no problem of entering and staying in Canada. I filled out a separate custom card for him when entering, on the card I just said he's a visitor and will stay for 180 days. The CBSA officer did ask me how long he'll be staying, I said he'll be living permanently with us and we'll apply for extension for his stay until he completes the PR process. The officer didn't have more questions.

We submitted PR application for him in July last year. Sydney completed the review in early Jan, and moved to Mississauge office, then they asked for additional docs (basically the utility bills and other docs to show I continued to live in Canada). We got COPR in late Feb, almost 8 months since we submitted the application. We did a flag poling landing immediately. Now we are waiting for his PR card. BTW, his 180 days stay expires in Dec. We submitted an extension application asking for 1 extra year of staying. I just put waiting for PR as the reason, and provided the PR application number. The extension was approved without any question.

Regarding the province medical insurance, it's pretty tricky. Everyone in Service Ontario is confusing about the policy, and I guess they do that case by case. You have to try that in a full service Service Ontario location. There are only a few of them across GTA and they only open Mon-Fri. We reached out to them when I got the letter from CIC that they have "received the application". Service Ontario said they need CIC's "confirmation" (which is COPR I guess, but they didn't say it explicitly). Then I waited until I received the passport collection letter. I received it in early Feb. The letter starts with "The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa." I went to Service Ontario again and the lady at the counter still denied my request. I showed her their website. She made a call to back office to check, and the guy on the phone told her it's qualified. So we got the OHIP, but the coverage only starts in 3 months in early May. We're still using private insurance so far. It's not that bad for kids, the premium is like $75 per month, covering only sicks and emergencies, not the vaccine shots.

It's quite a lengthy process and we are still not finished yet. The good side is that there is no absolute obstacle, and you will get the PR for your kid for sure. Good luck!