+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying outside of Canada

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I'm Greek who live in Canada for a total of 9 years studying and working in a Canadian university. I left Canada on the 5th of June 2017 and I reside in Greece since then. I've been a PR since 2014 and I satisfy all the requirements to apply for a citizenship.

My question is: can I apply for a Canadian citizenship while being in Greece? Are there any rules against that?

I see here that it is possible to leave after you apply, but I could not find anything regarding applying after you leave.

Any advice would be appreciated; many thanks in advance.

satnakazaljke

Dec 3, 2017
Hello,

same question. I have applied outside Canada anyway, since I am working in Europe for the last few months .

I didn't want to fly back just to send an application as "being" in Canada at the time of application. Even though, I think that's what people actually do in these cases.

Anyone, any experience?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is no actual "residence" requirement for Canadian citizenship anymore, but IRCC might not process your application without a Canadian address and you are expected to be in Canada when you file your application.

nofrills

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
I would include a Canadian mailing address but be truthful about your current residential address

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Good luck with your application satnakazaljke. I'd be grateful if you could keep us posted in this thread, I'm sure there are people like me who are interested to see how the scenario of applying outside of Canada works out.

Reactions: paritosh

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
You can apply from outside Canada for sure, but the application needs to be mailed to Sydney, NS and all correspondence can either be via email or a Canadian mailing address. You will still need to provide a Canadian mailing address and need to be present in Canada for test taking and/ or interview.

satnakazaljke

Dec 3, 2017
I have done all of that and I have Canadian mailing address.

Both cases (test and interview) for being present in Canada were never a question, but thanks for the info though. It might be beneficial for others.

Anyway, I will know the answer soon when processing starts.

Reactions: paritosh and geo909

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
I have done all of that and I have Canadian mailing address.

Both cases (test and interview) for being present in Canada were never a question, but thanks for the info though. It might be beneficial for others.

Anyway, I will know the answer soon when processing starts.
Hi Satnakazaljke,

Any updates? How's your application process going?

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
In the same boat guys as some of you here. Live in Europe but lived in Canada for 5+ years, albeit with breaks, and applied in early Nov after the bill C6 came into effect. I flew back to Canada to apply, but that's also because my family's still there and I was due to visit them anyway. Been IP since early Feb but heard nothing since then. Sent an ATIP request last week, will hear from them in early May. Something tells me that I'll still be waiting for my test invite at the time, but not worried about the application for now.

css2011

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
When it is interview time, those people normally ask for the job you are in right now ?
How do you plan to go through this ?

paritosh

Jan 12, 2010
Hi
I have same situation I am a citizen now but my wife has just applied. I am waiting for her test date and oath date while we are out of country. As She is accompnying me (a citizen) she will be considered in Canada as per residency rule.
Hope they will process her application as routine. I believe She has to come anytime to appear in test. Can we request both of them in short period so can save time amd money?

are there any chance IRCC dont process her file ?

I forgot to update.

Yes, had test last month. Oath invitation for April.

Normal process, as we live outside of Canada just for work temporarily.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
As She is accompnying me (a citizen) she will be considered in Canada as per residency rule.
Hope they will process her application as routine. I believe She has to come anytime to appear in test. Can we request both of them in short period so can save time amd money?

are there any chance IRCC dont process her file ?
Has your wife been physically present in Canada for 1095 days over the last 5 years?

Or are you a crown servant working outside of Canada? Only then would her time spent outside of Canada accompanying you count toward her residence for citizenship. From IRCC website:
....lived outside Canada with your Canadian spouse or common-law partner or permanent resident spouse, common-law partner, or parent who was employed in or with the:
  • Canadian Armed Forces
  • federal public administration
  • public service of a province or territory

Reactions: paritosh