+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Online from Another Country

Ybass98

Mar 21, 2022
Hello,
I'm planning on applying for citizenship in April and realized i need to get a police certificate, the process at the embassy here in Canada is very exhaustive and takes a minimum of 3 months, so i was planning on going to my home country to get one and was wondering if it would be fine to apply online from there once i get the certificate that way i can merge this visit with a vacation.

Also would it be fine to let's say set the last day on physical presence calculator on the 5th of April while i'm in Canada and apply on the 10th from another country once i get the police certificate?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello,
I'm planning on applying for citizenship in April and realized i need to get a police certificate, the process at the embassy here in Canada is very exhaustive and takes a minimum of 3 months, so i was planning on going to my home country to get one and was wondering if it would be fine to apply online from there once i get the certificate that way i can merge this visit with a vacation.

Also would it be fine to let's say set the last day on physical presence calculator on the 5th of April while i'm in Canada and apply on the 10th from another country once i get the police certificate?
Not being in Canada to apply for citizenship, by inference is not possible. As long as you are outside Canada, you will not be able to 'close' your last absence from Canada on the presence calculator. Putting a random date there would be misrepresentation.

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Not being in Canada to apply for citizenship, by inference is not possible. As long as you are outside Canada, you will not be able to 'close' your last absence from Canada on the presence calculator. Putting a random date there would be misrepresentation.
You can apply via paper and manually adjust that.
There's no explicit rule that prohibits applying outside of Canada, correct me if I'm wrong

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/accepting-applications.html

Ybass98

Mar 21, 2022
Yeah that makes sense, just wondering would it be fine if i close the physical presence calculator on the 5th of april for example and complete everything then and submit on the 7th by the time i can get the police certificate?

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Let's say for the purpose of calculating the physical presence, you lock in the date today and sign your application. You'll have to mail and get your application (with your police certificate) received by CPC Sydney within 90 days. If they don't receive it by 90th day, your application will be returned

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Yeah that makes sense, just wondering would it be fine if i close the physical presence calculator on the 5th of april for example and complete everything then and submit on the 7th by the time i can get the police certificate?
:)

I'm not so certain this would work but perhaps give it a shot. Don't forget to share your experience here for the benefit of others!

Ybass98

Mar 21, 2022
Let's say for the purpose of calculating the physical presence, you lock in the date today and sign your application. You'll have to mail and get your application (with your police certificate) received by CPC Sydney within 90 days. If they don't receive it by 90th day, your application will be returned
Thanks alot, would you know if that would be the same for online?