+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying OHIP for son

Mar 29, 2023
Hi All

Myself and spouse are PRs in Ontario and have already applied and obtained OHIP cards. My son (born outside Canada) came with us to Canada on a visitor visa and his PR application is in progress. Can I apply for OHIP for my son in this status and if so what is the procedure please?

Thanks in advance!
Prashanth

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All

Myself and spouse are PRs in Ontario and have already applied and obtained OHIP cards. My son (born outside Canada) came with us to Canada on a visitor visa and his PR application is in progress. Can I apply for OHIP for my son in this status and if so what is the procedure please?

Thanks in advance!
Prashanth
Believe your son must be PR before being approved as he is a visitor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All

Thanks in advance!
Prashanth
He doesn’t qualify for OHIP until he receives PR. You should have taken out emergency travel medical insurance for him before arriving in Canada. You will have to verify but normally these policies can only be taken out when outside Canada. Routine care is always out of pocket.