+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Inland and Submitting a Open work Permit, whos done it?

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I might be applying for my Inland application soon, I understand its 6 Months for the 1st Stage to be processed, my lawyer states I can also submit a Open Work Permit at the same time I sent my application off. If that is the case after the 6 Months Do you just receive the Work permit which allows you to continue working?

Does that allow you to stay in Canada and work until you Full PR has been processed?

papirico

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
I've done it.
You can't legally work until you get the permit. And see what kind of restrictions they state in there once you receive it.
No, it doesn't allow you to stay here. Your visitor record is the one that allows you to stay here for the validity stated on it. You are going to apply inland, so you are not supposed to leave to begin with.
Work permit comes with an expiration date on it and as far as I've seen, it's the same as the validity of your stay.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So how does that work in terms of my case?

I submit my PR In-Land application before the end of June

I also attach my Work Permit with my Application

My IEC visa ends January 2014

I hope to have my Work Permit before January 2014

What happens after that stage? I have to leave the country and re-enter again with a new Work Permit?

What Will my expiration date be? as my visa is still being processed?

papirico

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
Only they know what happens on each case, which I'm sure is different from one to the next.
It appears that you'll be under what they call 'implied status' and therefore the work permit will dictate when your status expires.
You can ask your lawyer these questions and get a better answer. They do know what they're doing (most of them, it seems).

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So how do I get my work Permit after 6 months?

What is the process? Does it get sent via Mail and you have to cross the boarder to activate it?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Jamesdavid3 said:
So how do I get my work Permit after 6 months?

What is the process? Does it get sent via Mail and you have to cross the boarder to activate it?
you include the OWP in your Inland application. After 6 months of sending your application, (more or less, it's not an exact science!) CIC approves normally the first stage and send you an OWP in the post. You don't have to cross the border to activate it as it's intended for Inland applications when you're not supposed to leave the country anyway. See also your other thread for more details about the process - I just posted an answer there.
Good luck,
Sweden