+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying inland and filing for CCB

Calilove

Jun 6, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen (now dual) my wife is a US citizen and we plan on applying for in land sponsorship as soon as we arrive in Canada.
My questions are: Are we allowed to do that since my wife can legally enter Canada for 6 months as a US citizen? Or will we run into troubles at the border?
How soon can we file for Canada child benefit?

I work fully remote for a US company and requested a transfer to our Canadian office but it can take months for the process to be completed and we’re trying to arrive just in time for the next school year for our kids. One is already Canadian and has lived in Canada before, second was born in US and we’re in the process of filing for her Canadian citizenship and passport.

Here is our plan: Move to Alberta by September, apply for my wife’s inland sponsorship as soon as we arrive, continue working for my US remote job until transfer is complete which is around late November to early January. File our tax return both in US and Canada (I am still not sure if I need to file tax return in Canada if I am arriving so late in the year and working for a US company for year 2023 or if I am only required to file my tax return in Canada if I’ve stayed at least 6 months that tax year. I am still unsure about this part so correct me if I am mistaken.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen (now dual) my wife is a US citizen and we plan on applying for in land sponsorship as soon as we arrive in Canada.
My questions are: Are we allowed to do that since my wife can legally enter Canada for 6 months as a US citizen? Or will we run into troubles at the border?
How soon can we file for Canada child benefit?

I work fully remote for a US company and requested a transfer to our Canadian office but it can take months for the process to be completed and we’re trying to arrive just in time for the next school year for our kids. One is already Canadian and has lived in Canada before, second was born in US and we’re in the process of filing for her Canadian citizenship and passport.

Here is our plan: Move to Alberta by September, apply for my wife’s inland sponsorship as soon as we arrive, continue working for my US remote job until transfer is complete which is around late November to early January. File our tax return both in US and Canada (I am still not sure if I need to file tax return in Canada if I am arriving so late in the year and working for a US company for year 2023 or if I am only required to file my tax return in Canada if I’ve stayed at least 6 months that tax year. I am still unsure about this part so correct me if I am mistaken.
1. You can apply inland.
2. CBB is based on being a tax resident and based on your income. You will not be assessed until you file your taxes as a resident. Depending on income, you may get nothing.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
3. If you are living and working in Canada, file your taxes for 2023 next year.

Calilove

Jun 6, 2015
1. You can apply inland.
2. CBB is based on being a tax resident and based on your income. You will not be assessed until you file your taxes as a resident. Depending on income, you may get nothing.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
3. If you are living and working in Canada, file your taxes for 2023 next year.
I thought we can apply for CCB as soon as we land in Canada and using our world income converted to CAD to calculate how much we can receive. Since our kids will be living and going to school in Canada starting September. So using our 2022 US tax return to apply for ccb in September then 2023 US and Canadian tax return starting July 2024.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I thought we can apply for CCB as soon as we land in Canada and using our world income converted to CAD to calculate how much we can receive. Since our kids will be living and going to school in Canada starting September. So using our 2022 US tax return to apply for ccb in September then 2023 US and Canadian tax return starting July 2024.
You need to be a Canadian tax resident. You cannot use your US tax return for 2022. Read the link on how to apply once you have filed Canadian taxes. You apply through your CRA account once you have your NOA. It is based on income so you may not get any money. Having kids living in Canada doesn’t make you eligible.