+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Work permit while temporary outside of resident country

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hello everyone,
I just want to help a friend of mine in this kind of situation
My friend has LMIA positive support from a company in Canada (genuine one, not arranged or illegally here). The company has signed an offer letter to him just a couple of day ago.
However, he is currently on his vacation trip in Canada and will get back to his home country on 17 January 2020. He is currently on a valid visitor visa to Canada
He is from a country that require visitor visa to enter to Canada, hence the option to apply for WP at the port of entry (PoE) is not available.
The company told him to apply for his WP online.
So my question are as follow:
1/ Can he start the online application process while he is in Canada right now?
2/ For the country of resident: can he select his home country instead of Canada?
3/ Do you think he would need to go to an Interview with an officer in his home country? (The online Guide says the officer may request to have an interview with the applicant)
4/ If he does not need to go to the Interview, then there would be a great chance that he would have a "Letter of Introduction" (the document that you would get if you are approved, according to the Guide) before he return to his home country
5/ If number 4 above is correct, then can he just go to the US, stay there for a couple of day, and return back to Canada to apply for the WP at the PoE (but this time, he would have the Letter of Introduction) without the need of travelling back all the way to his home country and come back to Canada?

Thank you so much for any input and advice
Kind regards

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Yes.
2. Yes
3. Hard to say.
4. Hard to say how long it will take.
5. Yes technically that could be possible.