+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work permit while initial assessment delayed

anon_12345

Jan 4, 2018
Hi All,

I have a TRV and will be flying in to make an asylum claim. Given the large delays, I have heard it takes about 16 months for initial assessment and 10 months for the decision. During this 2 year delay will I be allowed to seek a work permit? Say if I fly in in the the next 2 weeks, when will I be able to apply for a temporary work permit? I need this so that I can find some menial work to support my family.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you are getting confused with the timeline for PR which is now 26 months. Not sure what the current wait time is for the first asylum hearin and how long it is taking asylum seekers to get a WP. The wait times are getting longer and longer. I am thinking it may be 6 months or more for the whole thing but no you would not qualify for a temporary work permit when you first arrive. You will be able to apply for social insurance if you qualify but it around $700/month for a single person I think so just barely enough to survive yourself.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can apply for a work permit after your IRB review and your claim is accepted. That is suppose to be 90 days, but with the current backlog, they are delaying the interviews out to about 12+ months last I heard (it may be longer with all the Haitian claims).