+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work permit extension to buy some more time

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
When should I apply for my current work permit extension if I what to buy some more for my PNP application? I'm waiting for my PNP result and my current twp is gonna expire in the end of this month, which means i have only 25 days left.

does everyone know when should I run the extension process if I intend to buy time for my PNP?

your help would be highly appriciated!!

THANKS!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laikayung said:
When should I apply for my current work permit extension if I what to buy some more for my PNP application? I'm waiting for my PNP result and my current twp is gonna expire in the end of this month, which means i have only 25 days left.

does everyone know when should I run the extension process if I intend to buy time for my PNP?

THANKS!
You should apply for an extension now. The more pressing need to extend is for the continuation of your status as a worker. If you allow your current WP to expire, well , no worker status - you can't work. And as temporary residence status is usually tied to worker status, no residence status - you need to leave the country or be ordered to leave the country. Then you can continue to wait for the results of your PNP application.

/hope this helps...

chatdips

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
Once someone leaves the country and go to his/her home country, do they need to inform CIC of this change. Also while the candidate is in the home country if the PPR comes where can the PP be submitted?

JCS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2011
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 27, 2011
Doc's Request.
September 4, 2012
Nomination.....
September 19, 2012
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 06, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Already in Canada (28/09/2010)
laikayung said:

THANKS!
Would you get a new work permit or are you intending to get implied status?
If you want implied status than the answer would be at the end of the month.
If you know that you will get an extension than you can apply anytime before your work permit runs out (if you don't get the permit before the old one runs out you still will have implied status unless you're going to leave the country). The easiest might be (in the case that you will get a new permit) to go to the border and flagpole.

JCS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2011
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 27, 2011
Doc's Request.
September 4, 2012
Nomination.....
September 19, 2012
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 06, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
chatdips said:
Once someone leaves the country and go to his/her home country, do they need to inform CIC of this change. Also while the candidate is in the home country if the PPR comes where can the PP be submitted?
I guess that depends on your intentions. Do you plan on moving back or on going just for a visit?
What is your status? Would you be able to get back in the country without your PR?

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
JCS said:
Would you get a new work permit or are you intending to get implied status?
If you want implied status than the answer would be at the end of the month.
If you know that you will get an extension than you can apply anytime before your work permit runs out (if you don't get the permit before the old one runs out you still will have implied status unless you're going to leave the country). The easiest might be (in the case that you will get a new permit) to go to the border and flagpole.
Thank you SO much for your help!!

So dose it mean if I just want to get the implied status, I can wait until the last minute before my current visa expires? Im pretty sure my extension wouldnt go through as I dont have the IMO. My concern is that can I still keep working after I sd out my application for the extension? I am sure they wont get my application right away. so what about the time in between mailing out and receiving?

Also, normally, how much time would I have before I get the decision from the extension?

THanks a lot !!!!!!!!

JCS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2011
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 27, 2011
Doc's Request.
September 4, 2012
Nomination.....
September 19, 2012
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 06, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
What kind of visa do you have right now?

Before my TWP I had a IEC visa and called immigration to see if I can get implied status even though IEC visa don't get extended or renewed and was told that it was possible. Most people say it is not possible though so I am not 100% sure with that kinda visa.
But if you have a normal TWP than it is sure that you will get implied status (meaning that you can work until you get the decission; but don't leave the country) until they process your application (about three months I think).
I would send it in the last week before it expires to be sure that everything is fine. I don't know how they would treat the time between expiary and receiving the application.

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
JCS said:
What kind of visa do you have right now?

Before my TWP I had a IEC visa and called immigration to see if I can get implied status even though IEC visa don't get extended or renewed and was told that it was possible. Most people say it is not possible though so I am not 100% sure with that kinda visa.
But if you have a normal TWP than it is sure that you will get implied status (meaning that you can work until you get the decission; but don't leave the country) until they process your application (about three months I think).
I would send it in the last week before it expires to be sure that everything is fine. I don't know how they would treat the time between expiary and receiving the application.

Im here on the working holiday permit. so you mean I should apply in the last week before my visa expires. did they renew your IEC even without a IMO?? Really curious...!! thanks!