+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for visitor visa from US to get marry in Canada

dv0790

Sep 28, 2021
I want to apply for visitor visa for Canada from USA. I am an Indian national. My fiance is PR in canada and I want to go to Canada for marriage.

Should I give the reason for visit as marriage or tourism? Are there any chances of visa rejection if reason given as marriage?

We already got a marriage license according to which we need to get marry within 90 days in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I want to apply for visitor visa for Canada from USA. I am an Indian national. My fiance is PR in canada and I want to go to Canada for marriage.

Should I give the reason for visit as marriage or tourism? Are there any chances of visa rejection if reason given as marriage?

We already got a marriage license according to which we need to get marry within 90 days in Canada.
Wouldn’t mention marriage unless asked directly what your plans are. Would apply ASAP if you only have less than 90 days to get married. Approval will depend on your status in the US, your funds, what proof you provide that you will return to the US after your visit. Assume you are fully vaccinated. Have you been dating a long time? Spent a lot of time together in person? Is this a traditional ceremony? Will your family be attending?

dv0790

Sep 28, 2021
Wouldn’t mention marriage unless asked directly what your plans are. Would apply ASAP if you only have less than 90 days to get married. Approval will depend on your status in the US, your funds, what proof you provide that you will return to the US after your visit. Assume you are fully vaccinated. Have you been dating a long time? Spent a lot of time together in person? Is this a traditional ceremony? Will your family be attending?
Yes, we are dating for the last 8 years. It is going to be a small ceremony with some friends. Both of our families are in india and they are not coming as they do not have visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, we are dating for the last 8 years. It is going to be a small ceremony with some friends. Both of our families are in india and they are not coming as they do not have visa.
Have you lived together been dating in person throughout most of the 8 years? Not having both parents there will raise some red flags depending on your relationship history. Your wedding may be viewed as a wedding for sponsorship while you’ll have another true wedding at a later date.