+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for US Visit Visa with expired PR Card

mkyasir

Jan 5, 2015
Hi Guys,

Quick question...has anyone applied for a US visit visa with an expired PR card? This is actually for my wife - I am a Canadian Citizen. I am sending in an urgent request to CIC for her renewal tomorrow - and we are suppose to be flying out from New York on our vacation.

The tickets were gifted to us - and the person who bought them did not know that her PR card was expired. I wanted to apply for the US visit visa any ways with the expired card and the Record of Landing. I know I can get back into Canada by just showing the expired card and the Record of Landing. But main question is...will she get the US visa or not?

Really stressed out...please let me know if someone has any idea about this.

Greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Amos Richard Mbock

Zaraali

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Hi,

I think she will get the US visit visa as I know someone who got it on an expired PR card.They asked her about it and once she told them that she'd applied for renewal of PR card but it may take months before she can get the new card, they asked for proof that her application for renewal was accepted by cic (e.g. receipt of payment) then she got the visa in a few days. Good luck :)

mkyasir

Jan 5, 2015
Thank you Zaraali...

But the receipt of payment is just a generic receipt which says you paid for the renewal. It does not mean anything else.

I sent in the application as an urgent request yesterday - they received it today. I hope I get it before the end of the month. In the mean time, I will schedule for the US visit visa interview.

Thanks again...

Pual Newman

Nov 16, 2014
The US Immigration knows much more of your info than what you can imagine. They would know your PR card application status and other information that was revealed when you apply your PR card. Just be honest during the interview, and they do issue visiting visa for expired PR catd. I just got one last month with my PR card expired for many months.

samsalloum

Aug 5, 2015
hello guys
i applied for my initial PR card, it is taking forever ,,, do you think i can apply for US visitor visa with the record of landing only.
please let me guys know if u have an idea.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not the U.S. visa which will be the major problem as such, it's that the airline may not let her board a return flight to Canada without the PR card if her passport is not visa exempt.

SyedYImam

Feb 14, 2020
Hi,
Is this information still do-able? I mean any rules change??
I want to apply for USA visa because the reason of the visit is to enter into Canada with expired PR Card. Urgency is because my surgery is booked. I am pregnant. After 5 weeks, i wouldn't be able to travel. PRTD is applied but will take 2 or more months.
I became PR on Oct52014 and stayed for 1001 days from 20jan2017 till 20jan2020.
Please guide!

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What might have been valid for one person applying for a US visa does not mean will be valid for anyone else as each application is unique. Add to that the new US President since 2015 increased the barriers to anyone getting into the US depending on their home country passport.

At the US consulate/ embassy visa interview you may be fine you may not just impossible for anyone here to predict at least that my view. Plus believe you need to get a face to face appointment for the US visa interview and that could take time

If you can get to a US land border with an expired card then as a PR you would be entitled to enter even though CBSA May fuss over not having a valid card.

SyedYImam

Feb 14, 2020
What might have been valid for one person applying for a US visa does not mean will be valid for anyone else as each application is unique. Add to that the new US President since 2015 increased the barriers to anyone getting into the US depending on their home country passport.

At the US consulate/ embassy visa interview you may be fine you may not just impossible for anyone here to predict at least that my view. Plus believe you need to get a face to face appointment for the US visa interview and that could take time

If you can get to a US land border with an expired card then as a PR you would be entitled to enter even though CBSA May fuss over not having a valid card.
Thanks for the response.

I am sorry but i didn't get what you said in 2nd paragraph.
As per USA website, visit visa processing time is 25 calendar days.

Requesting your thoughts about
Question: does it worth applying for USA visit visa with the reason that i want to enter in Canada with expired PR card?

Obviously, i will be prepared with surgery appointment, dr letters, credit card transaction history, bank account details, home rental agreement, kid school records, tax & benefit notices, expired PR card, driving license, health card etc.

Question: Have you ever come across anyone whose application was rejected because USA doesn't issue visit visa to enter in Canada using expired PR card?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response.

Question: does it worth applying for USA visit visa with the reason that i want to enter in Canada with expired PR card?

Obviously, i will be prepared with surgery appointment, dr letters, credit card transaction history, bank account details, home rental agreement, kid school records, tax & benefit notices, expired PR card, driving license, health card etc.

Question: Have you ever come across anyone whose application was rejected because USA doesn't issue visit visa to enter in Canada using expired PR card?
Don’t believe that will be considered a valid reason to issue a US visa. US visa will be issued for the desire to visit to the US.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the response.

in your post you implied that after 5 weeks you cannot travel so for me 25 days for a US visa is just short of 4 weeks plus if I recall when a relative applied they keep your passport after the interview to add the visa and mail out so likely near 5 weeks by the time you get it back. Could be different by consulate/ embassy.

As said just because someone else has a positive experience applying really is meaningless much same as on here when people put forward near identical TRV applications , one approved the other not. All having that will do will maybe set expectations.

The US these days is not always a traveller friendly country to some passport holders whether they are Canadian PR holders or not

Nobody here can predict how a visa interview will go so maybe politely suggest instead of investigating whatifs you just put in your application and have a plan B if either not issued or not issued in time. If there is ability to include support for purpose of US entry then include with the application or take to the interview.

Good luck

Last edited:

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Hello Folks, I have applied for US B1 visa and interview is on October 20, but my PR card is expired in 20201 and my application for renewal PR card is still in progress ever since. Will my expired PR card be taken into consideration by the officer in issuing visit visa and what documents should I need to carry along as a proof. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Oct 14, 2022
Hi Guys,

Quick question...has anyone applied for a US visit visa with an expired PR card? This is actually for my wife - I am a Canadian Citizen. I am sending in an urgent request to CIC for her renewal tomorrow - and we are suppose to be flying out from New York on our vacation.

The tickets were gifted to us - and the person who bought them did not know that her PR card was expired. I wanted to apply for the US visit visa any ways with the expired card and the Record of Landing. I know I can get back into Canada by just showing the expired card and the Record of Landing. But main question is...will she get the US visa or not?

Really stressed out...please let me know if someone has any idea about this.

Greatly appreciated!
Hello!

I hope you are doing well. Cameroonian citizen... Please I need your help, I can see you are a Canadian citizen can you help me to immigrate to Canada with a close work permit Visa. Thanks

vik1205

Jan 3, 2024
Hello Folks, I have applied for US B1 visa and interview is on October 20, but my PR card is expired in 20201 and my application for renewal PR card is still in progress ever since. Will my expired PR card be taken into consideration by the officer in issuing visit visa and what documents should I need to carry along as a proof. Any inputs would be appreciated.
Hi - Were you issued the visa? I am approaching a similar situation soon and would like to know if anyone else have gone through this situation (applying US visitor visa on an expired Canadian PR card) recently. Thanks for your help !

P.S. - My PR card extension is in progress.