+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for US visa as a PGWP holder (graduated from UBC in June, 2014)

omick

Jul 7, 2014
I just graduated from UBC and got my 3 years PGWP, but I have not changed my re-entry visa (student type) into worker type though it's valid until August 2015. Now I have several questions about my situation:

1. I came back to China after I got my PGWP and I will go back to Canada on July 14th. Is there any problem when I re-entry Canada (valid PGWP and valid student-type re-entry visa)? Most people around me told me there would not be any problem about re-entry Canada as long as I explain my situation clearly and has a valid entry visa (whatever type) with a PGWP. But I am not sure whether the new policies from June 1st, 2014 will have any impact on my re-entry Canada.

2. I will have to go to US for an academic conference and a visit to my friend in early August, 2014 but my US visa expired several months ago. Can I apply for US visa before I change my re-entry visa? People told me that re-entry visa is not necessary when I just go back and forth between US and Canada. But my situation is a bit special as I have not started working yet and planned to start working after a two weeks break in China. Is there a better chance of getting the us visa if I use academic conference as my goal of visit? Is it the same visa type for conference trip and visiting friends?

Many thanks!!!

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
1. It should not be a problem re-entering Canada having a valid visa, just explain your particular case to the POE officer in case he/she got questions.

2. As for US visa, there could be a problem in case you do not provide them with a significant reason why you will go back to Canada. Being a student grants you some sort of unquestionable alibi that you will return to Canada as long as you provide them with a current letter of enrollment.

PGWP does not give you such a privilege as you will need to provide the US Immigration Council with a proof of strong ties to Canada (employment letter, certificate that you own a vehicle or a house, etc.)

omick

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you! I actually just need to attend the conference and spend about one week there. But I don't have strong ties as I have just graduated from ubc last month. Can I provide my one year-round room rental contract? or the record on my debit indicating there's still some money there? I dont have a employment letter at the current moment?

Or maybe I can show them some evidence that I am actively seeking for a job? Any more suggestions? Many thanks!

omick

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you! Any more suggestions? :)

Steevy said:
1. It should not be a problem re-entering Canada having a valid visa, just explain your particular case to the POE officer in case he/she got questions.

2. As for US visa, there could be a problem in case you do not provide them with a significant reason why you will go back to Canada. Being a student grants you some sort of unquestionable alibi that you will return to Canada as long as you provide them with a current letter of enrollment.

PGWP does not give you such a privilege as you will need to provide the US Immigration Council with a proof of strong ties to Canada (employment letter, certificate that you own a vehicle or a house, etc.)

omick

Jul 7, 2014
up...

omick said:
Thank you! I actually just need to attend the conference and spend about one week there. But I don't have strong ties as I have just graduated from ubc last month. Can I provide my one year-round room rental contract? or the record on my debit indicating there's still some money there? I dont have a employment letter at the current moment?

Or maybe I can show them some evidence that I am actively seeking for a job? Any more suggestions? Many thanks!

hb_dab

Jun 1, 2016
Hey,

I have very similar case as yours. I just graduated from University of Alberta and I will be getting PGWP in few days. I also wish to apply for US visa. I do have job as Research Assistant at university. Can I know if you were able to get US visa?

Thanks