+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV with an old passport but sending the new passport for visa stamp

hoseinihh

May 9, 2018
I am in Canada on an open work permit. My visitory visa has been expired. I am waiting for my new passport to arrive. Since the processing time for TRV is long, can I apply online for a TRV now with the image of my old passport (which will be valid until Feb 2019) but send the new passport to get the visa stamp when I get my new passport?

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am in Canada on an open work permit. My visitory visa and passport have been expired. I am waiting for my new passport to arrive. Since the processing time for TRV is long, can I apply online for a TRV now with the image of my old passport but send the new passport to get the visa stamp when I get my new passport?
Nope. You must apply with a valid passport

hoseinihh

May 9, 2018
Nope. You must apply with a valid passport
Thanks Bryanna! Sorry I should correct that my old passport is still valid and will be expired in Feb 2019. I have applied to get a new one and therefore a longer TRV. Can I add a letter of explanation to my TRV application that my new passport will be arrived in 1-2 weeks? So the question is in fact can I send a different passport to get the TRV stamp than the one I applied with initially?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can I add a letter of explanation to my TRV application that my new passport will be arrived in 1-2 weeks? So the question is in fact can I send a different passport to get the TRV stamp than the one I applied with initially?
Sure. You can

ubfx

Oct 6, 2017
Thanks! Should I send them both my old and new passport when they asked for my passport? Do you know how long after the TRV application submission they usually ask for the passport?
there should be a reason of applying for new passport ie if your older pp is getting expire in 2 3 months that it is some thing else but if you are applying so better apply with new or if you applied so no issue once new pp arrive you can email them letter of explanation is fine it can be a sort of trick Good luck