+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV outside Canada with PGWP approved - weird scenario

yowhatsup

Oct 11, 2023
Hello all,

TRV on passport expired in Dec 2022
Study permit expired in July 2023
One year PGWP (Open work permit) approved in Sep 2023

I had to travel back home with expired TRV due to personal reasons. Its already been a month since my work permit got approved; Yet to find a job in Canada. Now I need to travel back to Canada and I havent planned my travel/ accomodation yet
  • Should I apply for TRV as a 'Visitor' or give reason as 'Work' though I havent found a job yet?
    • If applying as Visitor, its asking me for several documents such as invitation letter from someone, proof of funds etc., ; Do I need to make arrangements for all that?
  • Or, as per this youtube video (
    ), can i proceed by giving reason as 'Work' and submitting Work permit, passport and photo?
  • I also read as an open work permit holder, i am allowed to travel and find a job after landing in Canada.
    • My intention is to get the TRV stamped on the passport ASAP so that I could either find a job and plan my travel or travel to canada and find a job before my permit expires
  • I am also in touch with RCIC certified agent in Canada. can i submit the application through them and get it stamped through VFS in India?
  • Also, as i have been wasting my time on 1 year pgwp, i am worried about my future prospects and also hoping on pgwp extension in 2024 from the government. I have a good CRS score and am already eligible for EE under Category based draw. Should i consider any other aspect such as province/ work permit extension etc (Job Profile - Computing/ IT domain)
Requesting your prompt response on this as I need to take an action asap!

Please help me out

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I had to travel back home with expired TRV due to personal reasons. Its already been a month since my work permit got approved; Yet to find a job in Canada. Now I need to travel back to Canada and I havent planned my travel/ accomodation yet
  • Should I apply for TRV as a 'Visitor' or give reason as 'Work' though I havent found a job yet?
    • If applying as Visitor, its asking me for several documents such as invitation letter from someone, proof of funds etc., ; Do I need to make arrangements for all that?
    ), can i proceed by giving reason as 'Work' and submitting Work permit, passport and photo?
  • I also read as an open work permit holder, i am allowed to travel and find a job after landing in Canada.
    • My intention is to get the TRV stamped on the passport ASAP so that I could either find a job and plan my travel or travel to canada and find a job before my permit expires
  • I am also in touch with RCIC certified agent in Canada. can i submit the application through them and get it stamped through VFS in India?
  • Also, as i have been wasting my time on 1 year pgwp, i am worried about my future prospects and also hoping on pgwp extension in 2024 from the government. I have a good CRS score and am already eligible for EE under Category based draw. Should i consider any other aspect such as province/ work permit extension etc (Job Profile - Computing/ IT domain)

Please help me out
I haven't watched the video.

You should give the reason as "work" when you apply for the TRV. It's your choice if you use an RCIC or not.

There is no guarantee that IRCC will have a policy in 2024 to extend PGWPs again. Best to assume there will be no policy. If there is no policy from IRCC, you will need to secure a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in order to extend your work permit in Canada. Or alternatively, you would need to receive either ITA through EE and submit your complete application to receive AOR or receive a nomination from a PNP program to be able to apply for a bridging open work permit before your PGWP expires.

If you need prompt responses then you would be best off hiring an immigration lawyer or RCIC to assist you. People give advice here for free so it is unreasonable to ask for prompt responses. You need to pay for prompt responses.

yowhatsup

Oct 11, 2023
Hi Scylla!

I guess there was some sense of urgency felt in my post. I was little worried as I am already delayed and did not want to submit my application either in a hurry or with errors.

Please understand my intention is not to misuse or take advantage the forum. In the future, when the time is right, I will try to get in touch with your firm and opt for a paid assistance.

Thanks, have a good one!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello all,

), can i proceed by giving reason as 'Work' and submitting Work permit, passport and photo?YES
  • I also read as an open work permit holder, i am allowed to travel and find a job after landing in Canada.YES
    • My intention is to get the TRV stamped on the passport ASAP so that I could either find a job and plan my travel or travel to canada and find a job before my permit expires No such thing as ASAP - Apply and wait
  • I am also in touch with RCIC certified agent in Canada. can i submit the application through them and get it stamped through VFS in India?Yes
  • Also, as i have been wasting my time on 1 year pgwp, i am worried about my future prospects and also hoping on pgwp extension in 2024 from the government. I have a good CRS score and am already eligible for EE under Category based draw. Should i consider any other aspect such as province/ work permit extension etc (Job Profile - Computing/ IT domain) This is all a speculation only. No guarantee of extension

Please help me out

Avi_Mathur

May 21, 2018
Hello all,

Please help me out
What did you eventually end up doing? Were you able to get the TRV? How long is it valid? Until the end date of your work permit or till expiry of your passport. Do you mind kindly letting me know the process in detail as I find myself in similar boat.

yowhatsup

Oct 11, 2023
What did you eventually end up doing? Were you able to get the TRV? How long is it valid? Until the end date of your work permit or till expiry of your passport. Do you mind kindly letting me know the process in detail as I find myself in similar boat.
Processed in 7 days (applied on 30th oct)
Got my passport back around November 3rd week
Valid till work permit expiry

It ended up being very simple than I expected. Its those same two forms seen in the video. In the letter, I mentioned I had to come home and I need to be back asap as pgwp is a one time thing etc., and that’s it

Avi_Mathur

May 21, 2018

It ended up being very simple than I expected. Its those same two forms seen in the video. In the letter, I mentioned I had to come home and I need to be back asap as pgwp is a one time thing etc., and that’s it
Great, So you did end up following the procedure exactly as outlined in the video? Glad it worked for you.

abajpai14

Dec 16, 2017
In

this is great.
I am in a similar situation, and I am working in Canada.
I have to travel back asap. I applied on 20th December and have not heard about anything. So I am getting nervous now.

Would you mind sharing the exact dates of processing ( working days) and what document you submitted? I will be grateful for your help

nimitpatel2021

Star Member
Jan 16, 2024
Hi, Glad to hear that,
Can anyone please answer following questions I am facing same issue
I had to travel India due to some reason , and waiting for my PGWP 2023 extension .I don't have a valid TRV to return canada , I need to apply it from India
1) Can I apply it on paper ?
2) How Can I apply TRV from India ? as per the above Video I need to mention yes in Job offer questions to be eligible ? I don't have job Offer
3) What should be country of residence ? CANADA or India ?
4)How can I make sure that I will be asked to Stamp my passport in India ?

Please help

nimitpatel2021

Star Member
Jan 16, 2024

Hi Can you please help me?
I am in the same situation, can you please guide me on how can I apply for TRV from India ? If possible can you please share your contact information? Please? Also can you please guide me on which document I need to attach to my TRV application?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, Glad to hear that,
Can anyone please answer following questions I am facing same issue
I had to travel India due to some reason , and waiting for my PGWP 2023 extension .I don't have a valid TRV to return canada , I need to apply it from India
1) Can I apply it on paper ?
2) How Can I apply TRV from India ? as per the above Video I need to mention yes in Job offer questions to be eligible ? I don't have job Offer
3) What should be country of residence ? CANADA or India ?
4)How can I make sure that I will be asked to Stamp my passport in India ?

Please help
Assume you only have temporary status in Canada, then your country of residence is not Canada.

Guriwr

Feb 3, 2024
Hi,
I am currently on PGWP and my spouse is on Spouse open work permit. Our permits are valid but we need to visit our home country so I am applying for my TRV and When I apply for TRV for both me and my spouse together then it asks a question for my spouse" what does your spouse wants to do in Canada??" What should answer dis question.

I would really appreciate if anyone of you could help me in this.

Adnan2110

Feb 6, 2024
I’m in similar situation i got my PGWP approved in Canada but i had to travel back to India due to family emergencies but due to some issues in address my PGWP physical copy was not delivered to my house so i want for flag poling two time but i couldn’t get physical print from there so i came to india and applied for TRV without the physical print and i did mistake because I applied by myself for first so I forgot to show travel to USA for flag poling and my TRV application was refused and reason was that i didn’t fill the form properly.
Please someone guide how should i reapply?