+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV for Spouse while waiting on Sponsorship Application to be processed

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
Hello all,

After recent announcement made by the Minister in May 26, my spouse and I decided to apply for TRV through the IRCC Portal.
While doing this, I have few questions which I'm sure many others in a same situation as me will be asking.

So here are some questions:

1. "When will you enter/leave Canada?" - How do I answer this, as our intention is to reside together in Canada?

2. "Do you wish to provide Biometrics again?" - I answered "No", since my spouse's biometric is valid until 2030, but would it be better with "yes"?

3. "Has someone else also invited you?" - Should we also put down our family members? or does an invitation from Spouse suffice?

4. "How much money do you have for stay? provide details" - My spouse is from poor 3rd world country, so I'm going to put mine as part of her finance, but what is a good ballpark for this? Is there a desired minimum?

5. "Will your spouse accompany you to Canada?" - I will be visiting her in July, and based on the 30 day TRV processing announcement for sponsorship applicants, should say "yes" for this answer?

6. "Provide Additional Documents if you have any" - What are some of the documents we can provide to reinforce our case?

That sums up all of my questions, and hopefully many others can also find their answers here.

Thank you in advance for the help and answers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

After recent announcement made by the Minister in May 26, my spouse and I decided to apply for TRV through the IRCC Portal.
While doing this, I have few questions which I'm sure many others in a same situation as me will be asking.

So here are some questions:

1. "When will you enter/leave Canada?" - How do I answer this, as our intention is to reside together in Canada?

2. "Do you wish to provide Biometrics again?" - I answered "No", since my spouse's biometric is valid until 2030, but would it be better with "yes"?

3. "Has someone else also invited you?" - Should we also put down our family members? or does an invitation from Spouse suffice?

4. "How much money do you have for stay? provide details" - My spouse is from poor 3rd world country, so I'm going to put mine as part of her finance, but what is a good ballpark for this? Is there a desired minimum?

5. "Will your spouse accompany you to Canada?" - I will be visiting her in July, and based on the 30 day TRV processing announcement for sponsorship applicants, should say "yes" for this answer?

6. "Provide Additional Documents if you have any" - What are some of the documents we can provide to reinforce our case?

That sums up all of my questions, and hopefully many others can also find their answers here.

Thank you in advance for the help and answers.
1.Do not fill out departure date or specify that you have no intention of leaving Canada

2. Fine

3. Spouse only is fine

4 Your spouse must provide their own savings first. You can attach your savings as secondary proof. There is no set amount. For a norm visitor I would say 10-15k for 6 months

5.Would not count on the 30 day processing. Think that is likely more of a goal. Would plan for it to take longer and be happy if it is close to 30 days. What politicians announce and what actually happens are often different. If you are a PR remember that you should be remaining in Canada during sponsorship although short visits seem to be overlooked.

6. Proof of your employment. It is hard to know because we have not seen how these application will be considered. What funds will be needed, what will happen if there are any concerns about the relationship, etc. Normally your spouse would need to show proof of employment, proof of property ownership, savings, other ties to their home country, etc.