+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for trv for my mother in law

Zainab shahid

Sep 5, 2016
Hi,
Me and my husband are new landed immigrants with PR here. We are exepectin a baby next year January and wish to apply for trv for my mother in law.
We are confused if we can apply online from here on her behalf, so would we be considered as authorized representative? Plus do we need to show our income as proof of funds or just her statement. And how much staying time shall we mention on the application.
We have also heard that visa get delayed when elections are near etc, so what is the best time to apply keeping in mind that we are expecting baby in January end.
Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Visas have nothing to do with elections.

Be careful mentioning the child. The visa officer will assume your mother will be illegally working in Canada caring for the child and the TRV will be denied.

Reactions: Bryanna

Zainab shahid

Sep 5, 2016
So I thought that would be a strong point in getting the visa as it's her first grandchild and she wants to be here before the baby is born and will be back when the delivery is done.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
So I thought that would be a strong point in getting the visa as it's her first grandchild and she wants to be here before the baby is born and will be back when the delivery is done.
Unfortunately not, when we decide to migrate, we make it consciously knowing we will have milestones (like births, weddings, etc) that we cannot celebrate with our families unless we go to them as no one is guaranteed a visitor's visa to Canada who we have left behind.

Best thing to do is figure out how you will prove that she NEEDS to go back to her home country, that she has enough money ON HER OWN to support her stay and has no plans at all to overstay. When you apply, ask for 3 weeks maximum.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would encourage you to wait for a few months before you apply for the TRV if you have arrived somewhat recently. Although TRVs are really dependent on your mother’s ties to her home country, assets, travel history, etc. you and your wife being established in Canada will factor into the approval. Agree mentioning that your mother is here for the birth of a child will likely lead to refusal because taking care of the baby, mother and household is considered illegal work. In Canada fathers have access to parental leave or can take a 1-2 weeks of holidays (or more) and are expected to help with babies and the home.