+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for traval document while on vacation in Dominican

natalyalex

Aug 7, 2012
Hi there,
I am a new permanent resident (landed on Nov 29/12), but still waiting for PR card. I contacted CIC and they apparently lost info about me landing. That's why I hadn't gotten my card within 2 months as I was told during the landing procedure. CIC requested to fax them a copy of my passport page with the landing stamp. Now, I hope everything back on track. I was told that they would send me my card in 2-3 weeks from now.
But, not knowing that there would be such a delay, I booked a vacation in Dominican for 9 days (Mar 12-21). My family (they live in US) are coming too. We all took time off work.
I was told by CIC agent that I can apply for travel document while I'm in Dominican. I put a request of information through email for Canadian Embassy in Dominican re my critical situation and time it would take to get travel document, since I will be staying there only for 9 days (I don't want to be stuck there and not be able to return to Canada). They replied that I need to submit my application for TD in person in Santo Domingo office and if everything's fine they would give my my passports back the same day. It sounds fine to me. BUT, considering my previous experience there could be all kinds of obstacles and delays. Maybe it would be wiser to postpone my trip until I get my card?
So, if anybody has been in the same situation, PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND GIVE SOME ADVISE.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

DMGSS

Oct 5, 2012
Hi Nataly,

I just got my travel document in Santo Domingo last Tuesday.

If you comply with your residency obligations, you should have your document no problem. In my case they had me wait a week to obtain it, but if you have a booked flight, you can specify this to the agent that helps you and they might expedite.

Good luck! And have fun!

natalyalex

Aug 7, 2012
Thank you DMGSS! I appreciate you shared your experience. I just got back from Punta Cana. Fortunately, I did not have to deal with this whole TD business. I received my PR card just few hours prior my flight to Dominican! It was just like a miracle, really!

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I totally agree with Msafiri as my situation is slightly different but I still requested fot gcms notes it will cost u only $5 but u will be able to see what happened in ur file. I m still waiting for mine but it eill clarify the situation for me atleast a little bit. Dont leave till ur pr is renewed u waited 2 yrs or even more fot that so,dont loose hope n wait for little bit. Best of luck