+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for the PR while living abroad

Jawad88

Nov 21, 2018
I am an Algerian citizen currently living in the USA under a J1 visa. I learned that the process of getting the PR may take up to 6 months: what if by time I get selected and I apply for the PR it will be 2 or 3 months before my visa expiration date here in the USA? I am assuming I will need to send my passport for the PR, how can I leave the USA without a passport? or if I have my passport while waiting for the PR but my visa expires here, what happens then to my application? Can I forward it to my address in Algeria?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jawad,

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I am an Algerian citizen currently living in the USA under a J1 visa. I learned that the process of getting the PR may take up to 6 months: what if by time I get selected and I apply for the PR it will be 2 or 3 months before my visa expiration date here in the USA? I am assuming I will need to send my passport for the PR, how can I leave the USA without a passport? or if I have my passport while waiting for the PR but my visa expires here, what happens then to my application? Can I forward it to my address in Algeria?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jawad,
I am not sure under which category you are thinking to apply for Canadian Visa process. Answering only last part of your question.

You don't need to send passport for whole 6 months. After all approvals are done you will get a passport submission request and it will take from 10-15 working days only. Basically you passport will be gone only for 10-15 days.

Good Luck