+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for study permit while living in another country

mihachris

May 5, 2016
Hello,

I will try to explain my situation as good as possible. I am a Greek and Albanian citizen. I have been born and lived in Greece until 17 years old, then returned to live and study to Albania, because my family opened a business. I am now 22 years old.

I have been admitted to a private Montreal College for an ACS degree in Concept art (something you may not have heard of). Although me and my family are living in Albania, I applied as a greek citizen, thinking I'd have more chances to be given the study permit. I am currently waiting for the CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate), then I will apply for visa.

The thing is, I have seen many people saying they have been refused for not proving they will leave Canada after studies. Considering my situation, which is living in Albania while applying as Greek, as well as studying in a field which doesn't have any prospects at all in my home countries, I am really afraid I might get refused. On the bright side, I have neither friends nor family in Canada, I have 30,000 CAD (tuition fees for the whole program of 18 months) + 20,000 CAD (accomodation, food, etc) already in my bank account, and the profession I have is something you can make a living of working freelance from the internet. Although in reality I do want to find a job in Canada and become permanent resident after graduation, I have to prove otherwise when applying for the visa apparently.

So, could you guide me on how to ensure the approval of my visa? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!

sisswa

Feb 1, 2016
1)you have show strong ties to your home country which is grece.

2)you might not be qualify for student permit because your school is private and before you can qualify for study permit you must gain admission from designated learning institute(DLI).

3)you must choose field that is related to your previous qualification. you may be refused visa if your visa if your is not in line with your previous qualification(studies).

MY ADVICE

1)i will advice you apply as albanian since you have family business there. it can help to prove ties to the home country(albania).
these are tips for proving home ties:
Tips for home-ties

Responsibilities - are you a parent, married, have kids? are you the next heir of your family? are you a leader in some institution, do people depend on you for some type of help that will require your presence?

Relationships - is every single member of your family back home? do you have a fiance/spouse? are you engaged? are they customs and traditions that require you to come back home after your studies?

Property/business ownership - do you have a property or a business?, is there a highly valued investment that requires your full attention?

Employment - do you have a secured job after your study? do you have a leave letter? is your employer back home sponsoring your studies abroad? Do you plan to come back after your studies and establish your own business?

Show a documented proof that any of the above applies to you and also describe what you it means to you and why you should return to take care of it.

If none of the above really applies to you carefully describe in your letter of intent (or statement of purpose) what you intend to do with your degree once you return from your studies. There are lots of things you can apply your degree to when you return, so focus on the best points. Let everything you describe point to your home country not abroad.

2)try and find a designated school in canada if your focus is settling down in canada as permanent resident.
these are some of the designated and cheap schools in canada
memorial university
new brunswick community college(nbcc)
university of manitoba
university of fraiser valley
nova scotia community college.(nscc)

3)search for program that you have previous qualification(school certificate) because cic will check your previous to see wether its in line with what you intend to study.

BEST OF LUCK.

mihachris

May 5, 2016
sisswa said:
1)you have show strong ties to your home country which is grece.

2)you might not be qualify for student permit because your school is private and before you can qualify for study permit you must gain admission from designated learning institute(DLI).

3)you must choose field that is related to your previous qualification. you may be refused visa if your visa if your is not in line with your previous qualification(studies).

MY ADVICE

1)i will advice you apply as albanian since you have family business there. it can help to prove ties to the home country(albania).
these are tips for proving home ties:
Tips for home-ties

Responsibilities - are you a parent, married, have kids? are you the next heir of your family? are you a leader in some institution, do people depend on you for some type of help that will require your presence?

Relationships - is every single member of your family back home? do you have a fiance/spouse? are you engaged? are they customs and traditions that require you to come back home after your studies?

Property/business ownership - do you have a property or a business?, is there a highly valued investment that requires your full attention?

Employment - do you have a secured job after your study? do you have a leave letter? is your employer back home sponsoring your studies abroad? Do you plan to come back after your studies and establish your own business?

Show a documented proof that any of the above applies to you and also describe what you it means to you and why you should return to take care of it.

If none of the above really applies to you carefully describe in your letter of intent (or statement of purpose) what you intend to do with your degree once you return from your studies. There are lots of things you can apply your degree to when you return, so focus on the best points. Let everything you describe point to your home country not abroad.

2)try and find a designated school in canada if your focus is settling down in canada as permanent resident.
these are some of the designated and cheap schools in canada
memorial university
new brunswick community college(nbcc)
university of manitoba
university of fraiser valley
nova scotia community college.(nscc)

3)search for program that you have previous qualification(school certificate) because cic will check your previous to see wether its in line with what you intend to study.

BEST OF LUCK.
Hello and thanks a lot for your answer!

First of all, I'd like to make clear that this particular area of studies cannot be found in many places, and Canada is the most ideal and cheapest one for me, so I don't have any other options as far as universities go.
I will be applying only with highschool diploma, so I don't have anything specific as a qualification.

Also, the school may be private but it has been accredited by the Ministry of Education, Higher Education and Research of the province of Quebec and offers an attestation of college studies (AEC) degree and it's also a DLI on cic site, so it's okay.

Unfortunately, I have already applied for the QAC (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) as a Greek citizen already. My parents have both Greek nationalities too. Can I not claim that they temporarily live in Albania for business? The strongest ties I have in Greece that I can prove of, is my uncle. I can try to persuade them that I really want to come back to Europe to be closer to family and find work here, and that I'm only going to Canada to study something very specific that can only be found there.

Also, I have portfolio and freelance work experience to prove of me being in line with the school I am going. I am going there for something very specific that cannot be found anywhere else, I think that itself is a pretty strong asset.

What do you think? Thanks again for the thorough reply, really appreciate it!

Asmaiqbal

Mar 28, 2021
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I am looking around for some advice. My country of Origin is Pakistan, hence my passport is Pakistani. My mother on the other hand is a Sri Lankan along with 3 of my siblings. For my proof of funds I have shown my mother as a Sponsor and all bank statements are Sri Lankan including the Property Valuation Certificate and affidavit of support. Secondly, the study permit processing time in Sri Lanka is 2 weeks whereas in Pakistan is 26 weeks. Although according to my passport my home country is Pakistan but I do not have any property in Pakistan which doesn't show strong ties. I have shown my current job as a strong tie in Pakistan as it is a government job with future prospects. In this case, where is it better to apply for a study permit from? Sri Lanka or Pakistan?

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I am looking around for some advice. My country of Origin is Pakistan, hence my passport is Pakistani. My mother on the other hand is a Sri Lankan along with 3 of my siblings. For my proof of funds I have shown my mother as a Sponsor and all bank statements are Sri Lankan including the Property Valuation Certificate and affidavit of support. Secondly, the study permit processing time in Sri Lanka is 2 weeks whereas in Pakistan is 26 weeks. Although according to my passport my home country is Pakistan but I do not have any property in Pakistan which doesn't show strong ties. I have shown my current job as a strong tie in Pakistan as it is a government job with future prospects. In this case, where is it better to apply for a study permit from? Sri Lanka or Pakistan?

Thanks in advance.
Responding to a thread from 2016. Where do you live. That is where you apply from? How old are you for your mother to fully supporting you?

Asmaiqbal

Mar 28, 2021
Responding to a thread from 2016. Where do you live. That is where you apply from? How old are you for your mother to fully supporting you?
I live in Pakistan Currently but I will be leaving for Sri Lanka in the next two weeks for other reasons. I am 32 years old and she will be partially supporting me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I live in Pakistan Currently but I will be leaving for Sri Lanka in the next two weeks for other reasons. I am 32 years old and she will be partially supporting me.
If you are living in Sri Lanka then apply from there. There will be a red flag of you being 32 and not being able to support yourself. You said your mother is supporting you so how much are you contributing.

Asmaiqbal

Mar 28, 2021
I am contributing CAD 17,000 and mother is contributing CAD 25,000, I have already paid one year semester Fee which is CAD 8900. I live in Pakistan, my base is here but I visit sri lanka frequently. So I am bit unsure where to apply from. Would be nice if you could give me your honest opinion on this matter.