+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for study permit while holding work permit and waiting for PR

heypeach

May 10, 2015
Hi guys,

My CEC application was submitted in May, 2014. I've since received the acknowledgement of receipt from the CIO and completed the medical exam in Dec 2014. No further status update after that.

Now I'm planning to go back to school. I've been accepted by UofAlberta and will be starting in July. I currently hold an open work permit(will expire in October 2015) and am working full-time.
I'll have to apply for study permit from inside Canada. I've searched the forum but haven't seen anyone in similar situation (going back to school while on work permit and waiting for PR).

I wonder if anyone could kindly help me with these two questions.

1. Will this status change (work -> study) hamper my PR application badly? And on the other hand, is there any concern in me getting the approval for study permit? I'm a bit worried about being rejected for study permit since I'm applying from inside Canada as a worker which I suppose is a rare case.
Btw I've already emailed the Ottawa office about this change and my marital status change (single-> married) and am waiting for them to get back to me. (I know... just a coincidence these all happen at the same time.. sigh..)

2. In the online questionnaire to determine my eligibility, there's a question:
"I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval)"
I suppose I should answer YES to it? Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks a lot!

heypeach

May 10, 2015
Now a few months have passed and life is still good.
I just wanted to answer my own questions here, in case someone falls in the same situation.

It turned out that I did get my study permit and it did not affect my PR application.
All I had to do was to send CIC a few additional documents that they asked for in their email regarding my status change.

I did answer yes to the question "I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval)"

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replying to your own question. I am going through the same. Just applied for study permit while waiting for PR.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
heypeach said:
I just wanted to answer my own questions here, in case someone falls in the same situation.

It turned out that I did get my study permit and it did not affect my PR application.
All I had to do was to send CIC a few additional documents that they asked for in their email regarding my status change.

I did answer yes to the question "I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval)"
so do u lose ur work permit status? i mean if u get study permit do u have pay international fee for ur tution? n also did u get ur PR yet?

jasmin-alladin

Star Member
Mar 21, 2018

Thank you for this update. though no one answered your question before, it could really help most of us looking for answers.

jasmin-alladin

Star Member
Mar 21, 2018

Was your status changed from Work to study? Or both are valid?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Was your status changed from Work to study? Or both are valid?
I wanna know this too
I was in that situation over a year ago. I had applied for PR while holding a PGWP still valid for close to 1 year. I applied for a new study permit a couple days before submitting my PR application. The study permit was approved within a month.

You are allowed to keep both permits and do keep both status until they expire. You can therefore work full-time and study if you wish, though I did not do that. In my case, the PR case before either expired.

Reactions: Vinami

jasmin-alladin

Star Member
Mar 21, 2018
I was in that situation over a year ago. I had applied for PR while holding a PGWP still valid for close to 1 year. I applied for a new study permit a couple days before submitting my PR application. The study permit was approved within a month.

You are allowed to keep both permits and do keep both status until they expire. You can therefore work full-time and study if you wish, though I did not do that. In my case, the PR case before either expired.
So if I have valid study permit and valid open work permit, I can use both right? I can study full-time and work full-time too. Thank you Wolfpmd3.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
So if I have valid study permit and valid open work permit, I can use both right? I can study full-time and work full-time too. Thank you Wolfpmd3.
Yes you can.

I never did so because I quit my job to go back to school. I am doing that now but as a PR.

I even checked one of the times I crossed the border and they confirmed that this was the case.

Reactions: Vinami

Vinami

Jul 28, 2020
Yes you can.

I never did so because I quit my job to go back to school. I am doing that now but as a PR.

I even checked one of the times I crossed the border and they confirmed that this was the case.
Thank you. It’s good to know.

klguy

Mar 19, 2021

Thanks for sharing. I'm in the same boat, waiting for my PR but working in Canada and starting my Master's in the Fall.

Did you have to update anything in your PR application? And what additional documents were you asked to provide?