+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for studies and married

Totodonna

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, I've been reading some posts so now I have a doubt. I got married on july last year and I am applying to Humber College (fall 2019). I want to go to Canada with my husband. I would like to get some advice in order to get the visa both of us, we've been together for almost 8 years, so it is a totally legal marriage.
We are from Peru, he has some family members living in Canada as citizens and I have also family members living in the US as citizens, I don't know if that matters...
Hoping to read you, thanks in advance.

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi, I've been reading some posts so now I have a doubt. I got married on july last year and I am applying to Humber College (fall 2019). I want to go to Canada with my husband. I would like to get some advice in order to get the visa both of us, we've been together for almost 8 years, so it is a totally legal marriage.
We are from Peru, he has some family members living in Canada as citizens and I have also family members living in the US as citizens, I don't know if that matters...
Hoping to read you, thanks in advance.
First try for yourself, then apply for OWP for your husband.
Don't apply together!

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hello, why not apply together? Is it a bad thing? Is there more chances of being denied this way and why? I'm applying the same way
Because they will think that you are using your studies as a back door to immigration to Canada.
Do you have strong ties with your homeland (not mom and dad) but land and property?
Apply alone and than start the procedure for you husband.
Don't put all of your eggs in one baket as they say!

Totodonna

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hmmm but if we are a family it is pretty obvious we want to be together so, I have to go alone to Canada? Or apply before and then him so we can fly together? Just asking, I don’t want to be alone there, I would cry all day long!

Totodonna

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
You can most certainly apply together. You need to demonstrate that you have strong ties back in your country which will make you go back. Even if you have intentions of becoming a PR eventually, your application will not be rejected just for dual intent. Again, you should apply together!
Well I do not have properties here but he has an apt with his mom and sister. In case we apply together and he does get rejected, how long we will have to wait in order to re apply? I am now worried about this. I have checked a FB profile of a inmigration lawyer and he shows that families with children are together in Canada, mother with study permit and father with work permit. I have no idea if the country of we are from is important to the rejection or approval.

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Well I do not have properties here but he has an apt with his mom and sister. In case we apply together and he does get rejected, how long we will have to wait in order to re apply? I am now worried about this. I have checked a FB profile of a inmigration lawyer and he shows that families with children are together in Canada, mother with study permit and father with work permit. I have no idea if the country of we are from is important to the rejection or approval.
Listen, many things can affect your application: your selection of studies, languages abilities, available funds, travel history, ties to your country of origin - you name it! They are a lot of couples who do get joint visas and live "happily ever after" in Canada! But, there are also plenty of couples who don't! It's up to you!