+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for sponsorship from outside Canada (amman, Jordan)

mohnabulsi

Aug 30, 2007
Hi Everybody,

I'm a Canadian born citizen. I married my husband back in June 2000 when he was a student in University. He returned alone to Egypt 6 months after our marriage then I joined him 6 months later in Cairo, Egypt. We lived there together for 6 happy years where we had three beautiful children; one boy and two twin girls. He received a job offer to work in his home country Amman, Jordan 9 months ago. He went alone at first, then I came to him with the kids about 2 months ago.

I enjoyed my stay in Egypt and Jordan -I can speak Arabic now :) - the arabic culture is really nice but I want to go back to Canada to my home town edmonton, Alberta, continue my university education and live there with my husband and my children.

I read that I can do a sponsorship for him from outside Canada but I heard too that it takes too long, I know I can go before him and apply from Canada but its hard to be seperated from each other having three kids.

I am looking for advice and if anyone has any related experience.

Thanks for help,

Nancy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mohnabulsi said:
Hi Everybody,

I'm a Canadian born citizen. I married my husband back in June 2000 when he was a student in University. He returned alone to Egypt 6 months after our marriage then I joined him 6 months later in Cairo, Egypt. We lived there together for 6 happy years where we had three beautiful children; one boy and two twin girls. He received a job offer to work in his home country Amman, Jordan 9 months ago. He went alone at first, then I came to him with the kids about 2 months ago.

I enjoyed my stay in Egypt and Jordan -I can speak Arabic now :) - the arabic culture is really nice but I want to go back to Canada to my home town edmonton, Alberta, continue my university education and live there with my husband and my children.

I read that I can do a sponsorship for him from outside Canada but I heard too that it takes too long, I know I can go before him and apply from Canada but its hard to be seperated from each other having three kids.

I am looking for advice and if anyone has any related experience.

Thanks for help,

Nancy
As you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor him while residing outside Canada. You have to include a statement with your application that you will accompany him to Canada once he receives his visa, and what your plans are as to accommodation, work schooling.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

PMM

mohnabulsi

Aug 30, 2007
Thanks PMM,

the information was helpful I have further specific questions if you could kindly help me in answering them:

1) I read in the guide that I must provide proof for re-establishment in Canada, I am currently a mother for 3 children and its reasonable to rent an apartement before recieving the PR visa for husband. My father is currently in Canada how can I prove to Canada immigration re-establishment.

2) I know that processing times for Jordan is about 2-8 months but this is regarding I am in Canada. Is it true if I apply for sponsorship from outside Canada it will take a longer time?

3) My Husband may recieve a job offer in Syria or US if we apply here in Jordan will we be able to continue the process with another visa office?

4) In order to not miss any communication from the visa office can we request that communications are done via email? How can we make sure we never miss an appointment or a request for a document?

Thanks for help,

Best Regards,

Nancy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mohnabulsi said:
Thanks PMM,

the information was helpful I have further specific questions if you could kindly help me in answering them:

1) I read in the guide that I must provide proof for re-establishment in Canada, I am currently a mother for 3 children and its reasonable to rent an apartement before recieving the PR visa for husband. My father is currently in Canada how can I prove to Canada immigration re-establishment.

Just state where you intend to live when you return, there is no need to rent before arriving, just state your plans. You will rent/buy in such and such an area. Whether you intend to work or not, and if so have you made any inquiries.

2) I know that processing times for Jordan is about 2-8 months but this is regarding I am in Canada. Is it true if I apply for sponsorship from outside Canada it will take a longer time?

Nope, should take about the same length of time, unless there are problems with the background security or criminal records check.

3) My Husband may recieve a job offer in Syria or US if we apply here in Jordan will we be able to continue the process with another visa office?

Nope, most offices will not transfer files, you may get lucky and they will transfer it. Jordan and Syria are both processed through Damascus, so no big deal. If you move to the US, you would be best to keep a mailing address in Jordan, and once the visa is issued, you can courier the passport with a prepaid return envelope to the US. Note, you send the sponsorship and your spouses application with the accompanying documents to Mississauga, and then they forward the application to Damascus.

4) In order to not miss any communication from the visa office can we request that communications are done via email? How can we make sure we never miss an appointment or a request for a document?

They don't communicate through Email.

Thanks for help,

Best Regards,

Nancy
PMM

zeespot

Mar 11, 2009
I am a Canadian Citizen, and was living in Vancouver (the most beautiful place on earth) almost all my life. I met a gorgeous girl in Amman, Jordan and we got married last May and lived in Amman since then. I found work with international aid agencies. We are thinking of going back to live in Vancouver, but as she is Jordanian, we have to apply for sponsorship. And I do not think that we want to go through the road of separation, as me going first to establish myself, and then she would follow.
Is it possible to sponsor her from Amman?
How do you prove the intention to re-establish in Canada?
Can it be a financial plan? or does it need to be a signed rental agreement...etc.
I agree with Nancy, that it is not reasonable to rent an apartment without receiving the PR first.
Any suggestions, anyone

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
WOW 2 other people from Jordan and Amman at that!!!!

I have sponsored my husband who is also from Amman and we were rejected and are now going thru appeals. Our situation was not like either of yours so I don't think you really would have to worry. The IO who was on our case believed ours was not a genuine one.

Unless things have changed, your paperwork will go thru Damascus.

In regards to proof that you are returning to Canada, things like rental agreement, or if you are not going to rent ( or don't want to get into an agreement yet) a letter from your family saying that you will be living with them when you get back sometimes work.
Proof of a job offer including a start time or acceptance to school would work too.

My husband's interview was done in Amman but not by the IO who is there now. There is a new IO there as of January and from all reports, he is a really good man.

Inshalla all will work out for both of you.

BTW

Nancy - I live in Edson

Zeesspot - May must be the month for weddings, that is when we got married too

zeespot

Mar 11, 2009
What do you mean he BELIEVED it was not genuine?
well, his beliefs can ruin lives. He's better make sure before he makes such beliefs.

SO you think that a letter from my family would suffice as a reestablishment intention? Is that what you did? When did you apply? and How long does it take?

Yah, May is the best weather for a wedding.

I hope it works for both of you too

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
He said the we did not provide enough evidence that our marriage was real and that there were a number of thing he questioned such as different culture, religious backgrounds, level of education. As well, ours was an internet romance that moved fast. All of these things send red flags to IO.

I live in Canada while my husband still lives in Amman, so I never had to prove intent to return to Canada. I have read in other posts that people have used a letter from their family back in Canada that states that you would be living with them when you return. I don't know if it is enough or not, but it should cover the "where you would live" part.

We applied in June 2008, he had his interview October and was given a verbal refusal at the interview. It took well over a month for him to get the formal letter of refusal and almost 2 months before I got my copy.

mohnabulsi

Aug 30, 2007
Hello everyone :)

My application was received March 3, and I was assuming, from all the info I've read on the CIC Website, that I should have received a letter April 3 to state that it was being processed/first stage approval/ etc or whatnot... But we are now April 6,and still nothing...is that normal? Should I wait another 2 weeks(making it 45 days), or is there no cause for concern? And I had another question :) : If my husband is a Jordanian Citizen, will he still have his interview in Damascus- I mean, is that a given, or does it depend?

Thanks guys, keep me in your prayers,

Nancy

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
Hi Nancy,
I would not wrry too much and yeah I'd give in another couple of weeks. The lenght of time it takes for sponsor approval varies depending on how many applications they have. 45 days is within the normal range.

As for if your husband will have an interview, I am going to say chances are. It seems that men who married Canadian women usually end up having an interview. When my husband got called for his interview he had it in Amman. Word on the street right nowis that the new IO who came to Amman is Jan. is a very good person.

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
mohnabulsi If I were you I would give the Call centre a phonecall.. I sent mine in March 17th to CPC-M and I called them March 30th and was approved this day. Also did you try to login at ECAS? Use your receipt number starting with a R and use the sponsor's details to login. Best of luck to you.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Just a word of caution to those calling in..

I did today try what Boncuk did. I sent my application in on March 23, 2009, and it was received March 24, 2009.

The very FIRST question they will ask you is when it was sent in..if it is less than 32 days [as stated on the website] they will not go further to give you information, and will even tell you that, and say you need to WAIT 32 days before they will give you any information.

I think this is a bunch of horsesh*t, they should treat everyone the same, either giving them the status OR giving them standard speil.

So if you want information on your application, you can wing it, OR say you sent it earlier than you did to get them to check.

E-cas will not update quickly it seems - and will be much slower than any live information you can get, IF you can get it!

good luck

I am cynical at this point and very negative and it's not even started lol.

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
I will say something for those that do choose to call. When I did the agent first told me to wait time as it will come etc. I insisted that I can login my ecas and says decision made and that as for me being out of the country I was afraid I wouldnt get the letter and I just wanted to know whether I was approved or not. He put me on hold. Then he asked me for my personal info and my spouses. Then he said he could see that a decision has been made and that I was approved and he gave me my client ID number for future reference. He also verified my mailing address and told me to update them with my canadian address when I get one. I think if you explain your situation clearly they will help you. I don't think they will answer to "I'm impatient" they will answer to worries or concerns about receiving the actual letter. Also.. I only succeeded in my phonecall because my case was already showing in ECAS as decision made. No point in calling sooner then that as the IO hasn't input your file into the system. Once the file is finalised and reviewed they input decision made. So today being a Tuesday and this is when the ECAS gets updated, if you are able to login with your sponsor details and Receipt Number and it says decision made, wait a couple of days and if you haven't heard anything call them. They are generally quite nice and if you just tell them you haven't received the letter yet and would like to know the status they WILL help you. Just my two cents guys but this was my experience and hope that will help someone on here.

mohnabulsi

Aug 30, 2007
Hey everybody :) Thanks alot for your replies! I just wanted to update you all, that I got my First stage Approval on April 14th, 2009, and the application for PR was sent to Damascus April 21. So, we are in the long waiting period now, it's been two months...what are me and my husband to expect at this point? Is there anyone here sponsoring their Jordanian spouse while they are living in Canada like me? I heard many stories like some took 6 months, some took 8 months, there was even a girl that took 17 months!! Please share your stories and if there is a true way to make the processes go quicker...I have 4 children all under 5 years...it is really hard, especially with my health problems.

THanks,
Nancy

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I live in Canada and sponsoring my husband from Lebanon but our application went through Damascus. It was received by them on April 29,2009. AOR received almost the beginning of May. On June 14, 2009 they sent to the applicant for additional documents. They didn't ask for major stuff. In conclusion my husband(applicant) in process of providing the documents they requested and we will take from there.
What I'm trying to say if your application is completed properly the process is very fast and in a time manner.
Good luck!!!