+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Skilled Worker PR while having a new student's visa

haritha_s

Mar 18, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am starting an MSc degree in Canada this September (2018), and I will be applying for a student's visa for that in the coming months. I also have enough work experience and have a good CRS score under Skilled Worker Express Entry (EE), so I'm considering applying for that.

My question is, if I apply for EE after I have applied for a student's visa (or received one), will that be a conflict? Will they be concerned about the fact that I will be a student in Canada for 2 years, and will not immediately join the workforce (as expanding the workforce is the purpose of the Skilled Worker program)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 21, 2017
Whether you can apply under EE after getting your student visa, I'm not sure. Two straightforward options here:

1. Concerned about finances/fees, doesn't matter when you start your course

If you have a good CRS score and confident of getting an ITA, you could consider getting your PR processing done first. Once you're a resident, your fees will probably be much lower than that of a foreign student. Be prepared to delay your studies as processing time varies on a case to case basis. Getting all the documents ready for a PR application can be nerve-wracking. If you haven't done so already, look up on the required documents list for a complete application package, to see any complexities arise for you.

2. Not concerned about fees, want to settle in Canada right away

If your program is 2 years in a recognized public univ/institute, you will get a 3-yr work permit if I'm not mistaken. This is -almost- equivalent to having a PR. Once you get atleast an year's work experience in Canada, you can apply for PR under Canadian Experience Class. Added advantages of this option is that your spouse would get an open work permit for while you study and you don't need to show proof of funds. Also, study permit processing is way more simpler than a PR application.

Either way, you will be on the safer side to start collecting documents(WES ECA, reference letters from former employers etc) required for PR, before you fly to Canada. Good luck!

haritha_s

Mar 18, 2018
Whether you can apply under EE after getting your student visa, I'm not sure. Two straightforward options here:

1. Concerned about finances/fees, doesn't matter when you start your course

If you have a good CRS score and confident of getting an ITA, you could consider getting your PR processing done first. Once you're a resident, your fees will probably be much lower than that of a foreign student. Be prepared to delay your studies as processing time varies on a case to case basis. Getting all the documents ready for a PR application can be nerve-wracking. If you haven't done so already, look up on the required documents list for a complete application package, to see any complexities arise for you.

2. Not concerned about fees, want to settle in Canada right away

If your program is 2 years in a recognized public univ/institute, you will get a 3-yr work permit if I'm not mistaken. This is -almost- equivalent to having a PR. Once you get atleast an year's work experience in Canada, you can apply for PR under Canadian Experience Class. Added advantages of this option is that your spouse would get an open work permit for while you study and you don't need to show proof of funds. Also, study permit processing is way more simpler than a PR application.

Either way, you will be on the safer side to start collecting documents(WES ECA, reference letters from former employers etc) required for PR, before you fly to Canada. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice sleepingbeagle!

1. I can't go for this option as I have to start the course in September, and I can't delay starting it.

2. I've got a full scholarship for the program, so fees are not the biggest concern. But, my supervisor says there are other scholarship opportunities for local students, and it will ease his funding situation as well.

I will look more into the possibility of applying for PR and student's visa at the same time, and if it doesn't work out, I will go with option 2. Good point about starting to prepare the documents early.

Thank you!