+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PRTD with valid PR card

nomad12

Jul 12, 2023
Hello, I have an unusual situation. I am flying back home to my home country in the next week to see family for summer. I am also planning to return home at Christmas for just over a week. THe issue is I currently haven't meant my residency obligation of 730 days in 5 years and my PR card expires at the end of September. I will meet my obligation in October as I am only 10 days short. However with current processing times I don't think I will receive the new PR card in time for my planned Christmas holiday. Since I will not be home very long at Christmas I don't think the PRTD will be processed in time. So I was wondering if I can apply for the PRTD whilst I am in my home country next week and return to Canada on my valid PR card, and when I return to my home country the PR card will be processing but I could return on the PRTD. My question is would there be a problem with the PRTD because I had left Canada, applied for PRTD, then returned on PR card, then left Canada, would they cancel the PRTD? Thank you for your advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I have an unusual situation. I am flying back home to my home country in the next week to see family for summer. I am also planning to return home at Christmas for just over a week. THe issue is I currently haven't meant my residency obligation of 730 days in 5 years and my PR card expires at the end of September. I will meet my obligation in October as I am only 10 days short. However with current processing times I don't think I will receive the new PR card in time for my planned Christmas holiday. Since I will not be home very long at Christmas I don't think the PRTD will be processed in time. So I was wondering if I can apply for the PRTD whilst I am in my home country next week and return to Canada on my valid PR card, and when I return to my home country the PR card will be processing but I could return on the PRTD. My question is would there be a problem with the PRTD because I had left Canada, applied for PRTD, then returned on PR card, then left Canada, would they cancel the PRTD? Thank you for your advice.
You also need to meet your residency obligation for the PRTD. Your safe bet is still applying either one in October. Alternatively, if you have US visa (using your current PR card) you can return to Canada on foot via the US on New Year's eve.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applying for either a renewed PR card or PRTD before you are eligible (meeting the R.O.) is risky and not advised.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
When you said that you haven't met your RO, when did you land as a PR? Do you mean you are still within the first 5 years after your landing and you can still protentially meet your RO? Or it has passed the 5 years and you are 10 days short and still planning to leave next week?

nomad12

Jul 12, 2023
I landed in April 2018 but the card was valid until Septmebr 2023. The 5 years since landing have passed and I'm still short by 30 days (now because I left for the holiday but now I'm back in Canada). However I will still meet the RO by the end of October. My plan is to apply now for the PR renewal as with current processing times 83 days I may hopefully receive the new PR card before I plan to leave at Christmas time and solve the issue of having to enter via the US or wait for a PRTD.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I landed in April 2018 but the card was valid until Septmebr 2023. The 5 years since landing have passed and I'm still short by 30 days (now because I left for the holiday but now I'm back in Canada). However I will still meet the RO by the end of October. My plan is to apply now for the PR renewal as with current processing times 83 days I may hopefully receive the new PR card before I plan to leave at Christmas time and solve the issue of having to enter via the US or wait for a PRTD.
IMO, you should wait till you meet your RO to apply for renewal. (end of Oct)
Otherwise, your PR card renew may go into non-routine (take much longer than normal processing time) and you actaully can't show that you meet RO as of the application date. I don't know if you will get your renewed card at all.

Reactions: nomad12 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The residency obligation is calculated from the date of your landing (the date on your PR card is irrelevant). Don't apply until you meet the residency obligation. If you apply without meeting RO, you are sailing towards a big problem.

Reactions: nomad12

nomad12

Jul 12, 2023
Thanks for the advice. I thought as much, was just hopeful. How much leeway do you think I should leave? 1 week? 1 month? or doesn't it matter if I meet the obligation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the advice. I thought as much, was just hopeful. How much leeway do you think I should leave? 1 week? 1 month? or doesn't it matter if I meet the obligation?
The more the better. If you only leave a few days, then a higher chance your application may end up requiring additional reviews to make sure you in fact meet the obligation. We have also seen far too many instances here of people who were "100% sure" they had the required days when they applied and then later forgot about a few additional days outside of the country which resulted in them being under the 730 days. I would go with a month if you can.

Reactions: nomad12