+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Proof of Citizenship Urgently

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would anyone happen to know the approximate timeframe is when you use this? (Can't post link yet, but Google "Applying for proof of Canadian Citizenship urgently")

I am currently in the U.S. but I qualify/will qualify on 2 out of the 4 reasons since I am moving to Canada with my wife. I already sent in my application in, in October and finally received notification that my application had been received December 3rd. According to the normal processing times, it should take 6 months to process from the time it is received, but it would be an additional month or 2 before I actually get the certificate because it won't be directly mailed to me. I will be in Canada before that.

I was hoping to know how much faster my certificate would be processed so that I can request the urgent processing at the right time.

Thanks in advance!

Timeline so far:

Sent: October 15, 2013

CIC Received: December 3, 2013

Notified by mail: December 20, 2013 Status: Received

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update: I sent in my request for Urgent Processing on January 31st via 5-day courier. Letter was delievered February 5th. Application status changed to "In Process" as of February 6th. Applications status changed to "Complete" as of February 11th; certificate mailed same day. I will have proof of my citizenship as soon as it arrives (Should take about 20 days via standard mail).

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
J.M. said:
Update: I sent in my request for Urgent Processing on January 31st via 5-day courier. Letter was delievered February 5th. Application status changed to "In Process" as of February 6th. Applications status changed to "Complete" as of February 11th; certificate mailed same day. I will have proof of my citizenship as soon as it arrives (Should take about 20 days via standard mail).
wow !! what reasons you mentioned ?

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
muzmil said:
wow !! what reasons you mentioned ?
Well, if you google "Applying for Canadian Proof of Citizenship Urgently" (This applies specifically to the Proof of Canadian Citizenship Certificate only; i.e. You have to already be a Canadian citizen but need proof), it lists what circumstances allow you to request this service. Being as I was born and have lived outside of Canada, I don't have any proof of my citizenship whatsoever (One of my parents is Canadian by birth). I cannot work or apply for things such as a S.I.N. without it, so those 2 reasons qualified me.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am very excited!! I received my certificate so now a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders as my wife and I can now legally move!!

Notified by mail: December 20, 2013 Status: Received (As of December 3rd)

Letter Requesting Urgent Processing Received by CIC: February 5, 2014

Application Status Changed to "In Process:" February 6th, 2014

Status Changed to "Complete:" February 11, 2014 (Certificate mailed same day)

Certificate Arrived at my U.S. address: February 19, 2014

Total time from start to finish: 4 months and 4 days.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats. Where you're moving to?

J.M. said:
I am very excited!! I received my certificate so now a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders as my wife and I can now legally move!!

Notified by mail: December 20, 2013 Status: Received (As of December 3rd)

Letter Requesting Urgent Processing Received by CIC: February 5, 2014

Application Status Changed to "In Process:" February 6th, 2014

Status Changed to "Complete:" February 11, 2014 (Certificate mailed same day)

Certificate Arrived at my U.S. address: February 19, 2014

Total time from start to finish: 4 months and 4 days.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Congrats. Where you're moving to?
Will be moving to Edmonton, AB where my wife is from. She has family and friends there so it will make the adjustment a little easier for us, and it is easier than trying to get her PR in the U.S..

smy88

May 20, 2014
Hi J.M.,

I think I might be in the same boat as you and had a few questions. My fiance is Canadian, I am a born U.S. Citizen, applying through my parents, who are both naturalized Canadians. Is getting married and moving to Canada reason enough to get approved? Would you mind sharing the exact wording you used and what documentation you included? Were you married in Canada before or after you sent in the request? Not sure if that makes a difference.

Many thanks

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smy88 said:
Hi J.M.,

I think I might be in the same boat as you and had a few questions. My fiance is Canadian, I am a born U.S. Citizen, applying through my parents, who are both naturalized Canadians. Is getting married and moving to Canada reason enough to get approved? Would you mind sharing the exact wording you used and what documentation you included? Were you married in Canada before or after you sent in the request? Not sure if that makes a difference.

Many thanks
I replied via personal message ^^

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
J.M. may I ask how you worded it too? I sent in an urgent request about 2 weeks after my application was sent in. I bet the request was probably lost since my application has yet to have been confirmed. Once it's confirmed received I want to mail in another urgent request but assure I have the wording correct. Thanks!

KelseyB

Sep 9, 2014
I would also love to get my hands on the wording you used? Has anyone else tried this with success? I am about to send everything in and would rather send it in as urgent then try and add that on later.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
KelseyB said:
I would also love to get my hands on the wording you used? Has anyone else tried this with success? I am about to send everything in and would rather send it in as urgent then try and add that on later.
I used the reasons listed on the CIC website which are cause for urgent processing:

"Examples of when we may process an application for proof of citizenship urgently are:

You need a citizenship certificate to travel to or from Canada because of a death or serious illness in your family.
You need a citizenship certificate to prove you are a Canadian citizen to get a job.
You need a citizenship certificate to access benefits like a pension, a Social Insurance Number, or health care."

I listed I was seeking employment and needed to prove I was a citizen and also have never been issued an SIN and needed proof of citizenship to be issued an SIN. It didn't work for me. It's all dependent upon the officer working with your file, mine didn't bite. I called about 2 weeks ago and nothing was on my file about urgent processing and they received that request a month ago. Good luck, I hope you are assigned a "nice" officer.