+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PRDT in Germany

Bran

Feb 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

First of all I want to say what a great forum this is. Anyhow I haven´t find the answers for my question yet.

I hope somebody can give me some advise about regarding a PRTD because my PR Card will expire during my stay in Germany. Since 2009 I am with a Canadian Citizen. We are not married. My PR status is not related to our relationship. I received my PR status in February 2012 and I moved to Germany end of 2014. In the last 2 years I have been 3 times in Canada (in total I spent more than 730 days in Canada the last 5 years) and I am planning to return in May to continue to work on a Project there.

Anyhow my PR card expires end of March this year and I just figured out I can not apply for a renewal while I am overseas. I was thinking about to fly in May to Seattle where a friend of mine could pick me up. This way I could enter Canada in a private vehicle. But somehow it wouldn't feel right to me to enter Canada without a valid visa or PR Card and I decided to apply for a PRTD and pay the extra money.

My questions are now:

- Is it really the best option to apply for a PRDT?
- What is the best way to apply for a PRTD?
- Do I have to go through VAC in Duesseldorf?
- Could I do it directly through the Embassy in Vienna?
- What option is faster: online or paper?
- Do the required photocopies have to be notarized?
- Will I have to send my passport out? I am just not feeling comfortable sending out my passport.

I would be grateful for some advise.

Many thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bran said:
Hi everyone,

First of all I want to say what a great forum this is. Anyhow I haven´t find the answers for my question yet.

I hope somebody can give me some advise about regarding a PRTD because my PR Card will expire during my stay in Germany. Since 2009 I am with a Canadian Citizen. We are not married. My PR status is not related to our relationship. I received my PR status in February 2012 and I moved to Germany end of 2014. In the last 2 years I have been 3 times in Canada (in total I spent more than 730 days in Canada the last 5 years) and I am planning to return in May to continue to work on a Project there.

Anyhow my PR card expires end of March this year and I just figured out I can not apply for a renewal while I am overseas. I was thinking about to fly in May to Seattle where a friend of mine could pick me up. This way I could enter Canada in a private vehicle. But somehow it wouldn't feel right to me to enter Canada without a valid visa or PR Card and I decided to apply for a PRTD and pay the extra money.

My questions are now:

- Is it really the best option to apply for a PRDT?
- What is the best way to apply for a PRTD?
- Do I have to go through VAC in Duesseldorf?
- Could I do it directly through the Embassy in Vienna?
- What option is faster: online or paper?
- Do the required photocopies have to be notarized?
- Will I have to send my passport out? I am just not feeling comfortable sending out my passport.

I would be grateful for some advise.

Many thanks!
You meet the RO so you will be fine either way. It's perfectly fine to enter Canada via USA land border. With just passport and COPR or expired PR card, you should be fine. CBSA may ask more questions just to confirm you in fact do meet the RO.

To apply for PRTD, it must be through your closest VAC. NOT the embassy, and not online. And yes you must mail your passport with the application, since the PRTD is physically placed inside your passport. If you are close to a VAC so you can drop off and pick up the PRTD/passport in person, the time should be pretty quick. With PRTD you can fly directly to Canada without need to go through USA.

Bran

Feb 25, 2017
Thank you very much for the answer.

I decided I will go with the PRTD. Just to be on the safe side. Would I have to apply for it before the PR Card expires or is it early enough to do it i April if I want to be back in Canada by may?

Also any idea if the photocopies have to be notarized? The application form or check list doesn't´t say anything about it.

Thanks again,

Bran

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bran said:
I decided I will go with the PRTD. Just to be on the safe side.
There is no "safe" side. Since you meet the RO, traveling via USA land border or with a PR TD, are equally safe.
However traveling with a PR TD directly to Canada, is probably easier and less hassle than going through USA.

Would I have to apply for it before the PR Card expires or is it early enough to do it i April if I want to be back in Canada by may?
If you're mailing the PR TD app, I would give 2-3 weeks for the whole process to be safe.

I'm not sure if PR TD app requires your current PR card to be expired or reported lost. It sounds though like if you applied the day after it expires, you should be fine for time.

Also any idea if the photocopies have to be notarized? The application form or check list doesn't´t say anything about it.
General rule is if they don't ask specifically for a document to be notarized, then just a regular photocopy is fine.

Except if submitting something not in english/french, then an official translation and notarized copy is required.