+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR with a DUI Criminal Charge while Residing in Canada???

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey,

so after i declared the pending charges to cic, i was granted me a landing visa and COPR, now the question is when I do my landing? when they allow me to land should I answer the criminal question on COPR with yes or yes and explain. Even thought, COPR stats that no criminal charges

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
Dude, you gotta be honest. If you go to do your landing and they ask you any questions, you must answer truthfully or at some point in the future it might come back to haunt you. If you're trying to get a conviction dropped or cleared (and you think you have a chance of success), it's better to delay your landing until it's sorted out.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quink said:
Dude, you gotta be honest. If you go to do your landing and they ask you any questions, you must answer truthfully or at some point in the future it might come back to haunt you. If you're trying to get a conviction dropped or cleared (and you think you have a chance of success), it's better to delay your landing until it's sorted out.
I'm already honest with them, I have disclosed to cic that I have pending charges, so I got visa for landing and I will try to land If they ask I will answer, the thing is could they refuse to land me for any reason?

Ragztar

May 9, 2016
Hi Ottawa-applicant, What is your status now ? Did you land ? if yes, what did they ask you ? I am in same boat, any answers would be really helpful.

Thanks

Raze123

Nov 13, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hello there,

Could you help me plz in my case:

I applied for CEC in July 2014 and almost near the end of my application. In Feb 2015 I was charge with refusal and over 80, I hired a lawyer and we have trail in December 2015 now if my CEC application isn't finished by then what should i do? will this affect me when i do my landing? I applied with my wife will this affect her too since am the main applicant.

pleas any ideas

thanks a lot

Hi Ottawa Applicant. I am in a similar situation. What happened in your case ? It just happened a couple of days ago. First appearance is on Jan 17. No trial date yet and cic havent asked for passport yet. I am scared to death. Please reply

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ragztar said:
Hi Ottawa-applicant, What is your status now ? Did you land ? if yes, what did they ask you ? I am in same boat, any answers would be really helpful.

Thanks
[/quote

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply..

No I didn't land yet, still waiting for IRCC, but was able to get TRP and WP at the same time

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raze123 said:

Hi Ottawa Applicant. I am in a similar situation. What happened in your case ? It just happened a couple of days ago. First appearance is on Jan 17. No trial date yet and cic havent asked for passport yet. I am scared to death. Please reply
Hi,

Take it easy and start looking for good lawyer to represent you. I PM you

cheers

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Ottawa-applicant said:
thanks for your prompt response. so I have to declare that I have an outstanding charges even tho it hasn't been approved or i haven't been convicted?... if hats true then they wont let me land :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: do you suggest anything before landing? plz advice and thanks a lot

See you don't get points.

What you did is act which could have killed someone .

DUI is criminal act in Canada and if any PR has done that then they could ended up deported.

Why any Canadian want any irresponsible person in their country.

Sometime lawyer's can do some magic if Police officer has done some mistake in his paperwork. But if not then you should learn lesson and try to start looking for some other country.

If you ever met some victim of drunk driver family then you would understand why I sound harsh. (One of my previous colleague wife and 2 yr old got hit by drunk driver when she crossing road . No words can explain unless anyone see themselves.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquib said:
See you don't get points.

What you did is act which could have killed someone .

DUI is criminal act in Canada and if any PR has done that then they could ended up deported.

Why any Canadian want any irresponsible person in their country.

Sometime lawyer's can do some magic if Police officer has done some mistake in his paperwork. But if not then you should learn lesson and try to start looking for some other country.

If you ever met some victim of drunk driver family then you would understand why I sound harsh. (One of my previous colleague wife and 2 yr old got hit by drunk driver when she crossing road . No words can explain unless anyone see themselves.
Thank you for your input.

We all understand the severity of such an act and the consequences follow it; I was lucky not to endanger anyone (if that's make you feel better).
As you mentioned you have seen or experienced a similar situation, that is a feeling I never wish upon anyone at all.

That being said, this forum is not for judging people by their actions, or to tell them to look for another country. We're all human & we're all make mistakes, so If you want to make changes; you could volunteer somewhere maybe at Back for Track remedial program so you can tell your story to all the dunk driver attending the workshop. Again, I'm not defending what I did, as I'm very remorseful and have changed to be better person.

Reactions: yoks20 and Calm2019

ishraqiyun77

Nov 9, 2016
Hi, I had a question regarding DUI's and the PR application. I received the ITA a few weeks ago and filling it out. I am in the States and got a DUI 15 years ago and it has been off my record for years now.

Is there a time limit for which it should be reported on the application?

It doesn't say anything about "within the last 10 years" or anything, but seems ridiculous some bad decision I made over a decade ago and paid my debt for should affect my application (sure homicide and other person crimes being the exception). Seems the application would be invalid if I answer "Yes", but also invalid if it I said "No" and they pulled some record that it showed up (which it wouldn't), so not seeing the incentive to be 100% honest.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ishraqiyun77 said:
Hi, I had a question regarding DUI's and the PR application. I received the ITA a few weeks ago and filling it out. I am in the States and got a DUI 15 years ago and it has been off my record for years now.

Is there a time limit for which it should be reported on the application?

It doesn't say anything about "within the last 10 years" or anything, but seems ridiculous some bad decision I made over a decade ago and paid my debt for should affect my application (sure homicide and other person crimes being the exception). Seems the application would be invalid if I answer "Yes", but also invalid if it I said "No" and they pulled some record that it showed up (which it wouldn't), so not seeing the incentive to be 100% honest.
Well, the incentive to be honest is, if you get caught lying (AKA "misrepresentation") you can be banned from Canada.

Perhaps this will help -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

After 10 years, if you have not gotten another DUI, you are "deemed rehabilitated." So you can be honest :)

ishraqiyun77

Nov 9, 2016
Cool, thanks for the link. I see now where it says:

you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years.
I guess, I should say "Yes" and then hopefully it lets me specify that it was over 10 years ago?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ishraqiyun77 said:
Cool, thanks for the link. I see now where it says:

I guess, I should say "Yes" and then hopefully it lets me specify that it was over 10 years ago?
Yes, you will be asked to explain. If you have any documentation of the date, that might help.

Wishmeluck12

Feb 20, 2017
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hey,

so after i declared the pending charges to cic, i was granted me a landing visa and COPR, now the question is when I do my landing? when they allow me to land should I answer the criminal question on COPR with yes or yes and explain. Even thought, COPR stats that no criminal charges

Hi Ottawa-applicant,

i am in the same boat, i was charged for DUI over 80 last august and trial date is not set yet, most likely to be this September. i received my ITA this February should i proceed further or just forget about Canada. what is your status now? please PM me, seeking for an advice desperately