+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR when already a resident as thought it had expired...

Feb 28, 2017
Applying for travel document from outside Canada, 7 years after PR card expired

ok, this is my situation:

1. currently living in UAE as a resident

2. got PR status in 2005,expired 2010

3. could not fulfil residency obligation

4. My wife and two adult children are Canadian Citizens

5. My third child and family are permanent residents since July 2016

Please someone advise me what are my options and the fatest, easiest and surest way to return to Canada

Thank you and looking forward to a quick reply.

the truth shall set you free

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thetruthshallsetufree said:
ok, this is my situation:

1. currently living in UAE as a resident

2. got PR status in 2005,expired 2010

3. could not fulfil residency obligation

4. My wife and two adult children are Canadian Citizens

5. My third child and family are permanent residents since July 2016

Please someone advise me what are my options and the fatest, easiest and surest way to return to Canada

Thank you and looking forward to a quick reply.

the truth shall set you free
If your wife is living with you in the UAE, note that time spent outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen counts the same as time spent in Canada for your PR so if you have spent a combination of at least 730 days in Canada or with your wife outside Canada in the past 5 years, you may still meet the RO (residency obligation). If that is the case, the fastest and surest and easiest way to return to Canada would be to apply for a PR travel document and when you get it, return to Canada and apply to renew your PR card.

If you do not meet the RO, the fastest and surest way to return to Canada would be to fly to the US and cross into Canada by land with your expired PR card. Immigration will either want you to renounce your PR status or report you for not meeting the RO, both which will cause the loss of your PR but they will let you enter anyway. You should accept the loss (renounce) your PR and have your wife sponsor you again, inland, and apply for an open work permit for you at the same time. You can have your open work permit in as little as 4 months. With an inland application, you should preferably not leave Canada until you are approved for PR again.

If flying to the US is not an option, you would have to apply to renounce your PR and for a visit visa from outside Canada. Once that goes through, you can return to Canada as a visitor and your wife can sponsor you. If you can not get a visit visa to Canada, she would have to sponsor you outland while you are outside Canada.

Feb 28, 2017
Hey Leon,

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. Have a few more questions:

1. I was advised that I could apply for a Travel Document and (in my situation) would get a letter of denial along with an option to appeal it within 30 days. Is that an option worth looking into. I find renouncing the PR a little drastic. Kindly advise if this option has any advantages as a first attempt. I was also advised that Immigration looks favourably at application where a minor is involved. I do have a grand-daughter, who has moved to Canada on in November, 2016 and we miss each other to the extent that our mental and physical health is being affected.

1.(a) If by chance, I am granted a travel document, how much time will I have to close shop and travel to Canada ?

2. This question is if we consider the option of my wife sponsoring me. Also for your information, my wife's marital status on all government documents is stated as "separated". We are legally married with no documents confirming that we are separated. I have mostly stayed outside Canada to remain close to my daughter and her 1 year old daughter. My wife visited me a few times since 2005 but not very often mostly for financial reasons. Her last visits were in 2015. We are an ageing couple with three adult children and a grand-child.

Could you kindly point to any difficulty, we might face as regard to a spousal sponsorship especially considering the above mentioned facts.

Thanks for your kind response and waiting for your reply.

Regards,

thetruthshallsetufree

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Leon,

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. Have a few more questions:

1. I was advised that I could apply for a Travel Document and (in my situation) would get a letter of denial along with an option to appeal it within 30 days. Is that an option worth looking into. I find renouncing the PR a little drastic. Kindly advise if this option has any advantages as a first attempt. I was also advised that Immigration looks favourably at application where a minor is involved. I do have a grand-daughter, who has moved to Canada on in November, 2016 and we miss each other to the extent that our mental and physical health is being affected.

1.(a) If by chance, I am granted a travel document, how much time will I have to close shop and travel to Canada ?

2. This question is if we consider the option of my wife sponsoring me. Also for your information, my wife's marital status on all government documents is stated as "separated". We are legally married with no documents confirming that we are separated. I have mostly stayed outside Canada to remain close to my daughter and her 1 year old daughter. My wife visited me a few times since 2005 but not very often mostly for financial reasons. Her last visits were in 2015. We are an ageing couple with three adult children and a grand-child.

Could you kindly point to any difficulty, we might face as regard to a spousal sponsorship especially considering the above mentioned facts.

Thanks for your kind response and waiting for your reply.

Regards,

thetruthshallsetufree
1. You can but there is really no advantage to travel document except it could work be worse if you want to apply for a visit visa afterwards as by travel document, you have just said you want to return to Canada for good and once denied, you are trying to convince that you just want to visit. Renouncing your PR is not at all drastic if you don't meet the RO. You are just accepting that you don't meet it and renouncing your PR as a way to acknowledge that you are no longer eligible to keep your status and opening up the possibility to apply again or be sponsored.
They do take welfare of children into account but not always in the way that you would like. In many cases they find that the children do not need to be in Canada and that your daughter could just move back if she feels that your granddaughter is missing you too much.

1a. In the unlikely event that you would get a travel document granted to you, they are usually valid 6 months.

2. Being separated on documents it not looking good for your sponsorship. You might have to prove to immigration in that case that you have re-kindled your relationship.

Feb 28, 2017
Leon said:
1. You can but there is really no advantage to travel document except it could work be worse if you want to apply for a visit visa afterwards as by travel document, you have just said you want to return to Canada for good and once denied, you are trying to convince that you just want to visit. Renouncing your PR is not at all drastic if you don't meet the RO. You are just accepting that you don't meet it and renouncing your PR as a way to acknowledge that you are no longer eligible to keep your status and opening up the possibility to apply again or be sponsored.
They do take welfare of children into account but not always in the way that you would like. In many cases they find that the children do not need to be in Canada and that your daughter could just move back if she feels that your granddaughter is missing you too much.

1a. In the unlikely event that you would get a travel document granted to you, they are usually valid 6 months.

2. Being separated on documents it not looking good for your sponsorship. You might have to prove to immigration in that case that you have re-kindled your relationship.
You say I have to prove to immigration that we have re-kindled our relationship: Kindly tell me what constitutes proof of such " re-kindlement " from Immigration's point of view. Would appreciate a detailed reply. And thank you so much for your help.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
Since two years passed since the original post, I wonder what happened with the original situation. No way to send an email to OP eh?

Feb 28, 2017
Sponsorship - spouse did not meet RO

You say I have to prove to immigration that we will have to re-kindled our relationship: Kindly tell me what constitutes proof of such " re-kindlement " from Immigration's point of view. Would appreciate a detailed reply. And thank you so much for your help.
Dear Leon,

One of the reasons I stayed outside Canada was to support my wife and children living in Canada. She had a severe case of Arthritis and was unable to work, she is presently on ODSP.

We are a Bengali couple with adult children, my wife visited me as often as it was (financially) possible, I have sent her money and would be able to produce some receipt, but we do not have photos or emails etc. to prove that we have an active relationship.

Her last visit was in 2015. Do you recommend that she visit again and we take some photos and produce some copies of communication, open some sort of joint accounts, before she applies for my sponsorship.

Thank you and your help is highly appreciated.

thetruthshallsetufree

Feb 28, 2017
david1697 said:
OP, I think your case is rare but if you search long enough you will find similar cases and , perhaps, even a page on CIC website which specify what happens to Canadian PR who applies for PR while Canadian PR.

While I don't know about your case, just off the top of my head I am guessing that if your PR application is 'touched' in less than 730 days from your last entry to Canada and it is determined by CIC that you have a PR (but failed RO), then your existing PR status could be revoked.
How would it affect the PR application currently in processing? I don't know. May be it would, may be it wouldn't.
If they don't 'touch' your PR for 730 days or more since your last entry, and if at the time of entry CBSA decided to waive your RO and let you in as PR , then chances are your pending PR application would be denied on the grounds that you are already a PR with valid status and you must be something other than PR with valid status in order to become a PR.
Above is my pure guess, based on application of logic and my general understanding of the operation of law.
I do not know about statutory regulations applicable in the specific case circumstances as yours.

If I personally had applied for FSW before visiting Canada and if CBSA wanted to just waive my RO and let me in as PR, I would have brought this up at the border and renounce my PR right there and then, instead of creating a complex legal case you are in right now. At very least I would have consulted a seasoned Canadian Immigration attorney before doing anything.

Good luck.
People who pose questions in this forum need help..so why are you guessing...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
People who pose questions in this forum need help..so why are you guessing...

I cannot and do not speak for the individual whose post you quote, in which some guessing is expressed.

But some of us offer guesses based on relatively informed and well-thought out analysis, usually rooted in personal experience or more or less reliable accounts of personal experiences from others, and at least some participants do their homework, including researching official and formal sources of information. Such observations typically regard matters otherwise unclear or largely unknown, and are an effort to shed some light on the subject while also recognizing limitations as to what is actually known or as to what can be predicted.

Thus, usually, to frame observations as a "guess" is an honest disclaimer which should help readers better understand and put in context those observations. Many such observations are generally in the form this-is-what-is-known, this-or-that-seems-likely-based-on-experience-or-what-is-known, and from this this-and-that-can-be-extrapolated-but-not-all-that-confidently . . . or, more briefly "this-is-what-I-guess." Always FWIW.

In comparison, there are many in forums like this who make grossly overly broad declarative statements, oft times in a form conveying unfounded definitiveness, oft times with little regard for important nuances or exceptions. There are indeed some in these forums who specifically offer advice even though this is not an appropriate venue for giving advice and it is especially irresponsible to offer personal advice given the extent to which there can be, and usually are, many unstated factors which can have a dramatic impact. While it is perhaps difficult to draw a distinction between advice per se and well-informed suggestions, for me a red flag goes up anytime I see a post overtly offering advice . . . unless it is in response to a very easy question.

Easy questions invite easy answers, the sort of stuff readily answered by FAQs or just reading the instructions. Asking what is the PR Residency Obligation is, is an easy question: two years out of five years presence in Canada with some credit otherwise available in particular circumstances. No guessing necessary.

Questions about the status of a PR, who is abroad and is already in breach of the PR Residency Obligation, and what that PR should do, those are more complicated. To some extent there are more or less obvious answers, like the sooner the PR returns to Canada, the better the PR's odds are of retaining PR status, but there are many other factors which will have some influence on how things actually go. Thus, for example, for the PR long in breach of the PR RO who probably cannot return to Canada without being reported, getting to Canada sooner probably does not help much, even though for many PRs in breach, perhaps most, getting to Canada sooner is usually a big factor.

Your situation appears to be on the more complicated side, with more than a few contingencies looming. Your situation is obviously complicated and difficult enough no one here can reliably assure you of a positive outcome, or how to approach things toward assuring yourself of a positive outcome.

Also note in particular that applying more complicated elements to variable factors is rather more difficult, often more nuanced, usually subject to different outcomes depending on many particular aspects of the matter. In the meantime, more than a little of the actual decision-making (both by IRCC and CBSA) is based on criteria and methods subject to less than clear applications and some of which might not be public information, and is in any event also subject to the broad discretion of the person making the decision, with widely varying results for which there is not even much statistical information available to the public let alone direct, concrete information reflecting the decisions made.

It also warrants noting that many times the ordinary reading of the rules can be misleading. It can take a rather concerted effort to follow the official sources in conjunction with reported experiences (always subject to careful and critical reasoning) sufficient to even vaguely outline what can happen in the more complicated situations.

In addition to that, those with a lot of background in these matters often recognize more or less unwritten rules or policies in play. (Some of these are more obvious and do not require all that much background, for example: credibility matters and matters a lot; impressions matter; more in particular, there is no rule which requires a PR to prove he deserves to keep PR status but that can loom as an important factor in how things go.)

In your circumstances some unwritten considerations are likely to be important; for example, you quote another participant's observations and ask:

You say I have to prove to immigration that we have re-kindled our relationship: Kindly tell me what constitutes proof of such " re-kindlement " from Immigration's point of view. Would appreciate a detailed reply. And thank you so much for your help.
There is no formal rule about this. The formal rule is that eligibility to sponsor a spouse requires the sponsor and PR applicant to be in a qualified relationship which is genuine. I do not mean to speak for Leon but it is easy to discern that in the circumstances you describe, if there is a sponsorship application IRCC is likely to have some concerns and questions about the genuineness of the relationship and where there is evidence of a breakdown in the relationship, as it appears there is here, it is likely IRCC will require proof that the qualified, genuine relationship has been re-established . . . which in general terms suggests a probable need to show when, why, and how your relationship was "re-kindled." But of course what that means is very, very specific to the individuals involved. Since that is not a formal requirement or element, there is no detailed outline of what would constitute proof of this. Lots of it-depends at play.

Back to the guessing you ask about, that was a discussion which took place two years ago. Today I see a lot to disagree with in the posts by all the participants in that discussion. But if I look back at some of my posts two years ago, there are many I would likewise disagree with today. Those of us here trying to help recognize we can always learn more and develop a better understanding, that what we said yesterday might not be the best response tomorrow.

An example of this is somewhat relevant to your situation. If, for example, you recognize there is no path for you to retain your PR status, and due to circumstances you conclude your wife would not likely be able to sponsor you and you otherwise have no path to obtain PR status again if you lose it, a week ago I might have affirmed another approach to rejoining your family in Canada, at least in the longer term. That is, you could stay abroad, not attempt to return to Canada while your wife stayed in Canada until she qualified for and obtained Canadian citizenship, and after becoming a citizen she then came abroad to live with you.

A week ago I thought that as long as you had not done something leading Canada to formally terminate your PR status, that if your then citizen spouse and you lived together for two years, you would then be in compliance with the PR RO based on credit for accompanying a citizen spouse abroad . . . which, until just the last few days, I was quite confident was all that would be necessary to qualify for the accompanying-citizen-spouse credit.

As of yesterday, or so, that was the consensus here, that IRCC would not inquire into or be concerned about whether you were accompanying your citizen spouse abroad or whether it was the other way around. I now have a contrary and more informed view, and I suspect this approach would not succeed either. We learn more as we go. For more about that in particular, see discussion at:

dpenabill said:
All of which leads me to express more caution about the accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse credit toward the PR RO. It does appear, indeed, that who accompanied whom can make a difference. This appears to loom more when the PR is, as I previously quoted, "well ensconced in the foreign jurisdiction."

The circumstances in which this arises probably are relatively uncommon, but nonetheless, and somewhat contrary to what I (and others) have previously oft posted, there are circumstances in which the PR-citizen couple living together might NOT be enough to be given the credit for accompanying a citizen spouse. Who accompanied whom can affect how this goes.

Your PR status, it seems, depends in significant part on whether your wife will be able to successfully sponsor you as a member of the family class, and as previously discussed above, this might not be easily accomplished.

You could probably benefit from the assistance of a licensed Canadian immigration lawyer . . . a lawyer, not a consultant.

Feb 28, 2017
dpenabill said:
I cannot and do not speak for the individual whose post you quote, in which some guessing is expressed.

But some of us offer guesses based on relatively informed and well-thought out analysis, ... Such observations typically regard matters otherwise unclear or largely unknown, and are an effort to shed some light on the subject while also recognizing limitations as to what is actually known or as to what can be predicted.

In comparison, there are many in forums like this While it is perhaps difficult to draw a distinction between advice per se and well-informed suggestions, for me a red flag goes up anytime I see a post overtly offering advice . . . unless it is in response to a very easy question.

Easy questions invite easy answers, the sort of stuff readily answered by FAQs or just reading the instructions. Asking what is the PR Residency Obligation is, is an easy question: two years out of five years presence in Canada with some credit otherwise available in particular circumstances. No guessing necessary.

Questions about the status of a PR, who is abroad and is already in breach of the PR Residency Obligation, and what that PR should do, those are more complicated. To some extent there are more or less obvious answers, like the sooner the PR returns to Canada, the better the PR's odds are of retaining PR status, but there are many other factors which will have some influence on how things actually go. Thus, for example, for the PR long in breach of the PR RO who probably cannot return to Canada without being reported, getting to Canada sooner probably does not help much, even though for many PRs in breach, perhaps most, getting to Canada sooner is usually a big factor.

Your situation appears to be on the more complicated side, with more than a few contingencies looming. Your situation is obviously complicated and difficult enough no one here can reliably assure you of a positive outcome, or how to approach things toward assuring yourself of a positive outcome.

Also note in particular that applying more complicated elements to variable factors is rather more difficult, often more nuanced, usually subject to different outcomes depending on many particular aspects of the matter. In the meantime, more than a little of the actual decision-making (both by IRCC and CBSA) is based on criteria and methods subject to less than clear applications and some of which might not be public information, and is in any event also subject to the broad discretion of the person making the decision, with widely varying results for which there is not even much statistical information available to the public let alone direct, concrete information reflecting the decisions made.

It also warrants noting that many times the ordinary reading of the rules can be misleading. It can take a rather concerted effort to follow the official sources in conjunction with reported experiences (always subject to careful and critical reasoning) sufficient to even vaguely outline what can happen in the more complicated situations.

In addition to that, those with a lot of background in these matters often recognize more or less unwritten rules or policies in play. (Some of these are more obvious and do not require all that much background, for example: credibility matters and matters a lot; impressions matter; more in particular, there is no rule which requires a PR to prove he deserves to keep PR status but that can loom as an important factor in how things go.)

In your circumstances some unwritten considerations are likely to be important; for example, you quote another participant's observations and ask:

There is no formal rule about this. The formal rule is that eligibility to sponsor a spouse requires the sponsor and PR applicant to be in a qualified relationship which is genuine. I do not mean to speak for Leon but it is easy to discern that in the circumstances you describe, if there is a sponsorship application IRCC is likely to have some concerns and questions about the genuineness of the relationship and where there is evidence of a breakdown in the relationship, as it appears there is here, it is likely IRCC will require proof that the qualified, genuine relationship has been re-established . . . which in general terms suggests a probable need to show when, why, and how your relationship was "re-kindled." But of course what that means is very, very specific to the individuals involved. Since that is not a formal requirement or element, there is no detailed outline of what would constitute proof of this. Lots of it-depends at play.

Back to the guessing you ask about, that was a discussion which took place two years ago. Today I see a lot to disagree with in the posts by all the participants in that discussion. But if I look back at some of my posts two years ago, there are many I would likewise disagree with today. Those of us here trying to help recognize we can always learn more and develop a better understanding, that what we said yesterday might not be the best response tomorrow.

An example of this is somewhat relevant to your situation. If, for example, you recognize there is no path for you to retain your PR status, and due to circumstances you conclude your wife would not likely be able to sponsor you and you otherwise have no path to obtain PR status again if you lose it, a week ago I might have affirmed another approach to rejoining your family in Canada, at least in the longer term. That is, you could stay abroad, not attempt to return to Canada while your wife stayed in Canada until she qualified for and obtained Canadian citizenship, and after becoming a citizen she then came abroad to live with you.

A week ago I thought that as long as you had not done something leading Canada to formally terminate your PR status, that if your then citizen spouse and you lived together for two years, you would then be in compliance with the PR RO based on credit for accompanying a citizen spouse abroad . . . which, until just the last few days, I was quite confident was all that would be necessary to qualify for the accompanying-citizen-spouse credit.

As of yesterday, or so, that was the consensus here, that IRCC would not inquire into or be concerned about whether you were accompanying your citizen spouse abroad or whether it was the other way around. I now have a contrary and more informed view, and I suspect this approach would not succeed either. We learn more as we go. For more about that in particular, see discussion at:

Your PR status, it seems, depends in significant part on whether your wife will be able to successfully sponsor you as a member of the family class, and as previously discussed above, this might not be easily accomplished.

You could probably benefit from the assistance of a licensed Canadian immigration lawyer . . . a lawyer, not a consultant.
Dear Depenabill,

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions in such detail.

I am looking at one other option, which I noticed to be an option:

That I take care of my business here in the UAE and get on a plane and fly to Pearson, Toronto. This could have a few outcomes:

1. I am not allowed to board, even though I am a Canadian PR.

2. I am allowed to board and I arrive in Toronto.

3. I am allowed to board the plane, arrive in Toronto and allowed to enter.

Would really appreciate your recommendations (based on similar incidences) what:

1(a) What documents I can show to convince the airline to allow me to board a plane from UAE for Canada: e.g.

(i) My landing papers
(ii) My passports showing that I am a landed immigrant
(iii) My Sin Card or my previous tax papers (I did have a business in Canada,
for which I paid taxes for a full year in 2009 approximately) This was
managed by my wife.
(iv) Any other suggestion you might have.

2(a) In case I am allowed to board and I arrive in Toronto; what are my options
for convincing Canadian Immigration to allow me to enter.

(i) Would it be advisable to hire a lawyer and he is present at Toronto Airport
to facilitate my entry.

(ii) If I am allowed entry, what happens to my PR status ?

3(a) Once I am in the country, what actions should I take to rectify my 'residency'
situation ?

Please advise if this is an option I should consider. Also note, I am ready to buy a ticket to try this option, if its feasible.

Thank you very, very much for your consideration and help.

Thetruthshallsetufree

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear Depenabill,

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions in such detail.

I am looking at one other option, which I noticed to be an option:

That I take care of my business here in the UAE and get on a plane and fly to Pearson, Toronto. This could have a few outcomes:

1. I am not allowed to board, even though I am a Canadian PR.

2. I am allowed to board and I arrive in Toronto.

3. I am allowed to board the plane, arrive in Toronto and allowed to enter.

Would really appreciate your recommendations (based on similar incidences) what:

1(a) What documents I can show to convince the airline to allow me to board a plane from UAE for Canada: e.g.

(i) My landing papers
(ii) My passports showing that I am a landed immigrant
(iii) My Sin Card or my previous tax papers (I did have a business in Canada,
for which I paid taxes for a full year in 2009 approximately) This was
managed by my wife.
(iv) Any other suggestion you might have.

2(a) In case I am allowed to board and I arrive in Toronto; what are my options
for convincing Canadian Immigration to allow me to enter.

(i) Would it be advisable to hire a lawyer and he is present at Toronto Airport
to facilitate my entry.

(ii) If I am allowed entry, what happens to my PR status ?

3(a) Once I am in the country, what actions should I take to rectify my 'residency'
situation ?

Please advise if this is an option I should consider. Also note, I am ready to buy a ticket to try this option, if its feasible.

Thank you very, very much for your consideration and help.

Thetruthshallsetufree
With only a few exceptions (U.S. citizens for example), PRs will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada unless they present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document. This has to do with regulations governing commercial transporters and required prescribed documents which travelers must present in order to obtain clearance for boarding a flight to Canada. This is not about proving status in Canada. It is about having a prescribed document required for clearance to board a flight.

Which is not to say that no airline can ever be persuaded to allow a PR to board a flight without a prescribed document, but it should not happen, there are no signs of it happening (again, with some narrow exceptions which are unrelated to your circumstances), and I have no idea how to legally even attempt to persuade an airline otherwise.

As I previously suggested: you probably need the services of a competent, reputable Canadian immigration lawyer, and I do mean a lawyer not a consultant.

About entering Canada if somehow you can arrive at a PoE into Canada:

As a PR, you are statutorily entitled to enter Canada. Thus, if you can physically get your body to a Canadian PoE, CBSA must allow you to enter. The odds are high you would be reported and issued a Removal Order, but then they still have to allow you to enter Canada. If you appeal that you will be entitled to remain in Canada pending the appeal. Obviously, if you are able to do this, and you and your wife cohabit while the appeal is pending, if you lose the appeal (which seems likely but that is in the range of guessing) then prior to actually leaving Canada (you would have some time after the decision denying the appeal before having to physically leave) you and your wife could make a sponsored partner in-land application and seek to have actual removal stayed pending the processing of that application. I cannot forecast how this would go, but there should be at least a relatively good chance you could stay and eventually become a PR again this way. BUT, I still strongly suggest getting the services of a good Canadian lawyer to at least review your options.

As for physically getting to a Canadian PoE, without a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document, it is unlikely you will be able to get on a plane that will land in Canada. In contrast, if you could obtain a permit or tourist visa or such to travel to the U.S., you could then travel to the border between the U.S. and Canada and physically present yourself at a land crossing PoE. Again, you would likely be reported for inadmissibility, for breaching the PR Residency Obligation, and issued a Removal Order, but again you would still be entitled to enter Canada.

To be frank, however, none of this should be construed to suggest let alone advise you to take any course of action other than to first consult with a reputable Canadian immigration lawyer.

qaawill

Jul 20, 2016
Hi All. Very informative and passionately debated topic - thank you!

Here is my situation:

1. ITA on March 1st 2017 via FSW and already in possession of yet-to-be uploaded PCC, Medicals, Work References, ECA etc.

My dilemma lies in the following regarding the requirement in my ITA online profile of providing personal history and address history of my un-accompanying PR spouse as well.

Background
My un-accompanying spouse (also a UK national) returned to live in Alberta (where she went to school and Family are Citizens) in May 2016 as a PR. She had been warned at previous POE on a December 2015 holiday by CBSA about needing to remain in Canada upon her next entry into the country to retain her PR status. At POE in May 2016, with her knowingly not meeting the RO and with an expired PR card, CBSA let her in the country on a secondary interview - without (it seems) having been issued a 44(1) report. The plan is for her to remain in Canada with no travel until Feb 2018 when she will have the required days to re-apply for a PR card.

Due to this situation we decided it was better for me to follow the FSW process as opposed to spousal sponsorship due to the potential of it flagging up the RO issue.

Concern is, with myself now having an ITA, that in completing the required sections about her personal history etc for the last 10 years in my ITA profile that this will flag her RO and potentially trigger Residency Examinations...just in time for when I land in Canada.

So my ultimate question:

1. I have noticed I am able to change my 'family information' in the ITA portal to being 'Single' as opposed to 'Common Law' - meaning I would not have to provide spousal personal history. Is this advisable to avoid a potential flagging of my spouses RO status? Or am I better being honest and supplying her personal history etc. and deal with any repercussions as they come?

(note: as far as I can tell this does not effect my eligibility for FSW, provide a reason to decline my ITA, and is a averts the risky approach of potentially flagging the RO)

2. (Far-Fetched question) Should I land in Canada as a PR at the end of the year and my spouse then have her PR removed (let's imagine this was after an appeal) - is it possible for me as a new PR to sponsor her into the country?

Feb 28, 2017
qaawill said:
Hi All. Very informative and passionately debated topic - thank you!

Here is my situation:

1. ITA on March 1st 2017 via FSW and already in possession of yet-to-be uploaded PCC, Medicals, Work References, ECA etc.

My dilemma lies in the following regarding the requirement in my ITA online profile of providing personal history and address history of my un-accompanying PR spouse as well.

Background
My un-accompanying spouse (also a UK national) returned to live in Alberta (where she went to school and Family are Citizens) in May 2016 as a PR. She had been warned at previous POE on a December 2015 holiday by CBSA about needing to remain in Canada upon her next entry into the country to retain her PR status. At POE in May 2016, with her knowingly not meeting the RO and with an expired PR card, CBSA let her in the country on a secondary interview - without (it seems) having been issued a 44(1) report. The plan is for her to remain in Canada with no travel until Feb 2018 when she will have the required days to re-apply for a PR card.

Due to this situation we decided it was better for me to follow the FSW process as opposed to spousal sponsorship due to the potential of it flagging up the RO issue.

Concern is, with myself now having an ITA, that in completing the required sections about her personal history etc for the last 10 years in my ITA profile that this will flag her RO and potentially trigger Residency Examinations...just in time for when I land in Canada.

So my ultimate question:

1. I have noticed I am able to change my 'family information' in the ITA portal to being 'Single' as opposed to 'Common Law' - meaning I would not have to provide spousal personal history. Is this advisable to avoid a potential flagging of my spouses RO status? Or am I better being honest and supplying her personal history etc. and deal with any repercussions as they come?

(note: as far as I can tell this does not effect my eligibility for FSW, provide a reason to decline my ITA, and is a averts the risky approach of potentially flagging the RO)

2. (Far-Fetched question) Should I land in Canada as a PR at the end of the year and my spouse then have her PR removed (let's imagine this was after an appeal) - is it possible for me as a new PR to sponsor her into the country?
I have a very similar case: My wife and children are Canadian citizens, I have not met my RO and I have a expired PR card:

I have a few questions for you Qaawill
1. How was your wife allowed to enter At POE with an expired card ?
2. What questions was she asked during the secondary interview ?
3. When did her card expire ?
4. Was she present in Canada for at least one day in the past 5 years ?
5. Even though she was not issued a A44(1) report, the officer may have
made entries as per follows:

"7.8 Examining permanent residents at a POE When a permanent resident appears at a POE for examination, the officer must confirm that the person is a permanent resident. Officers must remain cognizant of the fact that the Act gives permanent residents of Canada the right to enter Canada at a port of entry once it is established that a person is a permanent resident, regardless of non-compliance with the residency obligation in A28 or the presence of other grounds of inadmissibility. Port of entry (POE) officers can refuse entry to a permanent resident only when the person has already lost the status in accordance with the provisions of A46 (such as when a final determination has been made that they have failed to comply with the residency obligations or when a removal order comes into force). In other words, once a permanent resident’s status is established, the person may enter Canada by right and the immigration examination under IRPA concludes. "

Would appreciate some kind senior members to address this question.

Thank you,

thetruthshallsetufree

qaawill

Jul 20, 2016
I have a very similar case: My wife and children are Canadian citizens, I have not met my RO and I have a expired PR card:

I have a few questions for you Qaawill
1. How was your wife allowed to enter At POE with an expired card?
PR's cannot be refused entry into Canada at a POE even with expired cards. This thread talks about the use of CBSA officers discretion and interpretation of the situation, evidence available, human capital factors (age, experience, connection etc.) and interview content
2. What questions was she asked during the secondary interview?
The typical questions such as: Why did you not meet your requirements? What were you doing? Why should we believe you will stay this time?
3. When did her card expire?
Was towards the start of 2016 I think, but the expired card doesn't really matter as per Question 1, it just provides opportunitiy for CBSA to file a 44(1) report
4. Was she present in Canada for at least one day in the past 5 years?
Yes, at least 3 times a year for longer than 3 weeks and she had lived in CA continuously for 1 year of the 5
5. Even though she was not issued a A44(1) report, the officer may have
made entries as per follows:

"7.8 Examining permanent residents at a POE When a permanent resident appears at a POE for examination, the officer must confirm that the person is a permanent resident. Officers must remain cognizant of the fact that the Act gives permanent residents of Canada the right to enter Canada at a port of entry once it is established that a person is a permanent resident, regardless of non-compliance with the residency obligation in A28 or the presence of other grounds of inadmissibility.

Port of entry (POE) officers can refuse entry to a permanent resident only when the person has already lost the status in accordance with the provisions of A46 (such as when a final determination has been made that they have failed to comply with the residency obligations or when a removal order comes into force). In other words, once a permanent resident’s status is established, the person may enter Canada by right and the immigration examination under IRPA concludes. "

Would appreciate some kind senior members to address this question.

Thank you,

thetruthshallsetufree
I've answered your Q's in red above. Upon entry, she also had all relevant documentation, her family's info, a job offer letter and proof of a one way flight into Canada. Her travel history also shown a close connection too. As per an earlier post, at secondary interview stage the interviewing CBSA officer went to confirm his judgement of the situation with his superior or manager at POE before admitting her.