Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
LANDED..........
June 21, 2012
I became a PR on June 21, 2012. Got a letter from CIC requesting for new photographs so that the PR Card could be issued. Sent the new photographs in September. Card got mailed in Oct, got lost in the mail. I sent a solemn declaration in December. Now it will take 63 days plus the time in the mail for my new card.
I need to travel to India for a wedding. I would have to apply for a PR Travel document there. I'm worried as I have no clue what would happen. I have a full time job here, I work for Canada's best chef, Susur Lee.
What are the basis on what the travel document is issued?
Should I cancel my trip?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are a newly landed immigrant. You'll have no issues having a travel document issued. They only refuse travel documents if someone hasn't fulfilled their PR residency obligation. However your PR status is so new that this isn't a concern / issue for you.

Mmmmm.... Susur Lee. That must be a cool job. I have been to Lee's a couple of times - fantastic.

Immigrant84

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2011
Doc's Request.
All documents in order
AOR Received.
Dec 20, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 23, 2012
Med's Request
Mar 26, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 30, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
LANDED..........
June 21, 2012
Hey thanks for your response!
I dunno, I was just reading the posts on this site about people having all kinds of issues with the travel document that's why I got a little weary.
It's awesome you went to Lee. Chef Lee opened up a new restaurant in September this year. It's called "Bent" (Dundas & Markham, one block west of dundas and bathurst). That's where I work.
It's the 2nd best new restaurant in Toronto according to 'Now Toronto'. You should come visit. The food is just great.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will have to check out Bent. Thanks for the suggestion!

I really don't think you should worry. To the best of my knowledge, the people who are having problems with travel documents are those who have expired PR cards, are applying for travel documents so that they can return to Canada - and have run into problems because CIC doesn't think they meet the residency requirement (living in Canada two out of the last five years).

Your situation is completely different. You've had your PR status for only six months. You still have tons of time to meet the residency requirement and CIC will easily issue you a travel document.

Hopefully others will comment and confirm what I've said.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I agree with all that has been said. You should be fine.

Meanwhile, just picked up this culinary info. you posted. Yum !!! Ooh La La ! Good Luck and Bon Appetit ! I am hell "Bent" on trying this new place ;)

Immigrant84

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2011
Doc's Request.
All documents in order
AOR Received.
Dec 20, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 23, 2012
Med's Request
Mar 26, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 30, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
LANDED..........
June 21, 2012
Guys, you're welcome to visit anytime. However, we'll be closed from Jan 1-Jan 14. Opening back on Jan 15th. You can make a reservation on opentable.com.
or pm me for details.
I'll make sure you have a great time here. :)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigrant84 said:
I became a PR on June 21, 2012. Got a letter from CIC requesting for new photographs so that the PR Card could be issued. Sent the new photographs in September. Card got mailed in Oct, got lost in the mail. I sent a solemn declaration in December. Now it will take 63 days plus the time in the mail for my new card.
I need to travel to India for a wedding. I would have to apply for a PR Travel document there. I'm worried as I have no clue what would happen. I have a full time job here, I work for Canada's best chef, Susur Lee.
What are the basis on what the travel document is issued?
Should I cancel my trip?

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(b) it is sufficient for a permanent resident to demonstrate at examination

(i) if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident;

(ii) if they have been a permanent resident for five years or more, that they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately before the examination; and....

Examination occurs at any point involving a Residency Obligation determination e.g. at PR Card renewal, TD application, when sponsoring etc.

Your situation is as per 28(2)(b)(i) - you have until June 21, 2017 to get 730 days so the TD application will be ok. More likely to be an issue is processing times at the visa post in India so best to apply as soon as you get to India.

preet2012

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

I know this is very old post, but i am in a same kind of situation here, i am newly landed immigrant as of 12 may 2015, after staying for 21 days, i had to come back for myjob and i resigned and served 2 months notice, so i got a resignation acceptance letter from my company, i need to apply for travel document, but i have few questions

1. I had read at many places that travel documents mostly get denied, i am worried
2. my family (wife/daughter) are already there in Canada
3. do i need to fill humanitarian grounds section while filling up the travel document.
4. i have resignation acceptance letter, landed document,medical card, Canada credit card statements with me, are these enough for appying or i need something else too

There is another section in Travel document, where i need to specify my job from the date i became PR, d i need to write my job from starting date in the company or the date when i became the pr

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer my questions, it will be veryhelpful

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
preet2012 said:
Hi,

I know this is very old post, but i am in a same kind of situation here, i am newly landed immigrant as of 12 may 2015, after staying for 21 days, i had to come back for myjob and i resigned and served 2 months notice, so i got a resignation acceptance letter from my company, i need to apply for travel document, but i have few questions

1. I had read at many places that travel documents mostly get denied, i am worried
2. my family (wife/daughter) are already there in Canada
3. do i need to fill humanitarian grounds section while filling up the travel document.
4. i have resignation acceptance letter, landed document,medical card, Canada credit card statements with me, are these enough for appying or i need something else too

There is another section in Travel document, where i need to specify my job from the date i became PR, d i need to write my job from starting date in the company or the date when i became the pr

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer my questions, it will be veryhelpful
You do not need to fill the humanitarian grounds section, just fill the number of days you stayed in Canada and apply. You do not need to provide all these details since you landed just this year.
Specify only the employment from the date you became PR.