+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR on a Visitor Extension. Is there a deadline?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by baniza, Jan 12, 2018.

  1. Dear community,

    Today, I received my Visitor Visa extension. The date of expiry will be on May 1 (ca. 105 days left).
    I`d like to apply for PR (along with an open work permit) through common-law sponsoring (I`ve lived together with my Canadian girlfriend for over a year now).

    I have two questions:

    1. Is there a deadline for when the application will have to be received by the CIC? E.g., I was required to apply for the Visitor Extension at least 30 days before the expiry of my IEC work eprmit. I`ll apply ASAP, but I`d like to know whether there is such a deadline when going from Visitor Extension to PR.

    2. I read on the CIC website that I`ll have to provide a medical exam and a police report of each of my family members. Did I get that right? I feel like this is unnecesary hassle as my parents don`t support my staying in Canada in the first place. If this were true, which family members would be applicable? I have my parents, one brother and then cousins etc.

    I`d appreciate an answer.
  2. Family members are spouse and children. Parents and siblings aren't counted.
  3. The OP should keep in mind that sooner they apply the better given a work permit linked to an inland spouse application can take 4 months or so to come through. Plus of course with an inland application it is advisable to not to ever leave the country whilst the apPlication is being processed given in doing so the application could be considered abandoned.

Share This Page