+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR in Quebec as US/UK dual citizen

ryan711

Feb 9, 2018
Hi all,

I am a dual citizen of the US and the UK, by birth/bloodline (not by nationalization). Currently I am employed with a US company and resident of a US state; I work full-time and remotely for a tech company, and I am not married.

Because of this flexibility with my employment and civil status, I would like to keep my remote job for as long as possible while I begin the process of applying for PR in Quebec as a skilled worker; I have a CRS score of 540 (fluent in English and French). However, I'll be applying for PR as a Briton, not as an American.

My questions are concerning both immigration law and tax law, for both US-Canada relations and Canada-UK Commonwealth relations:
1. Because I have employment through the US but will apply as a UK citizen, will there be issues or questions about residency? I notice that the CRS asks about current residency but not about citizenship.
2. Will there be problems if, say, I am able to maintain my PR status as a Briton (UK passport) but also maintain my current job as an American (US passport, unrelated to PR status)? I am aware that I must reside 2 out of 5 years in Canada to maintain my PR status, but I'm unsure about employment requirements, if any.
3. Due to Quebec's special requirements in general (and language requirements in particular) for skilled worker applicants, are there any other laws or suprise complications that I should be aware of?

My thoughts are this: I am legally exercising my right to employment as an American through an American company and legally maintaining residency in Canada as a skilled worker with UK citizenship. I can't see any immediate issues with immigration status or taxes (e.g. filing taxes to the US as an American employee, filing taxes to Quebec/Canada as a PR from the UK).
I have met with an immigration lawyer who said that there is no particular advantage of either passport for applying for PR as a skilled worker, but again, I'd like to keep my US and UK relations as separate as possible, even if I'm inviting a dear friend of both (Canada) into the mix!

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, and guidance!