+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR as a student

gamerzzone

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Hi All,

I am currently an international student in Canada who is in the final semester of the Post-graduate certificate program. I do have 3.5 years of industry experience prior coming to Canada. There is a MNC company here that has provided me with a job offer letter. Its a full time permanent job after graduation. My student visa expires in next 2 months and to extend this I might have to take another program. It would be grateful if anyone could answer some of my questions:-

1) For example just consider I have enough of points to qualify for PR. How much time do you think it would take once we apply for PR under Express Entry within Canada? I do understand there are a lot of applications within this pool. But just wanted to know the time taken in average.
2) Would I be eligible for the OINP program? If anyone has received OINP how much time does it take? I was planning to take this as it would help me get more points. I did look through CRS and do have 430+ points. But not 470. Adding points from OINP might help.
3) How many times can an individual apply and then receive Work Permit (WP)? Is it only once?
4) Has anyone faced a situation like mine? Has anyone managed to get PR after 1 year of studies in Canada?

I will post a few more questions in a while.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Note that what you have isn't classified as a job offer for PR purposes. Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA for this to be classified as a formal job offer that's worth points under Express Entry.

1) I would count on around 10 months.
2) Yes - it sounds like you would qualify for OINP. Whether you are selected is another matter.
3) PGWP is once in a lifetime.