+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR and my son has Mild autism

Alfa80

Nov 26, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I have been following this forum for a while and it really helped me a lot!
I am a Canadian PR applicant and my 4 years old first bon child has a mild autism.

My Stats are as follows:
ITA Received on 12 October 2022.
Upfront Medical Exams: 20th October 2022 (I declared to the physician the mild autism of my child)
PR Application Submission: November 1st, 2022 (Federal Skilled Worker through Ontario Express Entry French-Speaking Skilled Worker Provincial Nomination).
Review of Medical Exams: 17th November 2022: You passed the medical exams.
Awaiting for further processes to move forward.

It seems that the review of medical exams is being done faster.

I thank everyone on this forum who has been supportive in providing valuable information.
I submitted the CARS (Childhood Autism Rating Scale) Diagnostic Report and School reports of my autistic child in my application documents.

Hope everything will go well for you as well.
Good luck for everyone.

sudheer.167

Jan 5, 2022
Hello Everyone,
This thread is very useful to understand the immigration scenario for Kids with autism although most of the discussion is for PR applicants. I am a temporary worker in Canada and below is my situation. Can someone who has gone through a similar situation answer my questions?

I came to Canada in Oct 2021 as a temporary worker through an Intra Company transfer work visa. I applied for my dependent's Visitor visa in February 2022 and my 3-year-old Kid's medicals were done in January 2022. However, it got refused by IRCC in March first week. Later in March 2022, he was diagnosed with Mild Autism while he is in his home country (India). We had done evaluation and diagnosis through a private Autism therapy clinic after being referred to by the child's pediatrician and was confirmed with mild autism symptoms during evaluation and the child is getting behavioural and occupational therapies currently. We reapplied for his visa in October 2022 and while applying we hadn't mentioned anything related to his Autism in his application and received visa approval in November 2022. Since his medicals are going to expire In Jan 2023, we plan to do re-medicals for him before travel(Travel can not be done before medical expiry due to some constraints). My questions are

1. Does having Autism symptoms have any impact on the medical results?
  2. If the Panel physicians suspect of anything related to Autism, do they ask for diagnosis and treatment reports for evaluating the medicals? or should we tell them upfront? We just have a digital copy of the diagnosis report from the private therapy center which we got in Feb 2022 and not from the pediatrician or Neurologist. Does the panellist insist on getting the latest report again?
  3. How long does it take for medicals to update in the immigration file for Autistic kids? Is it regular like others or does IRCC do additional tests on top of PP tests?
  4. Any other care should be taken while giving medicals for such cases?
  5. How are therapies given to kids in Canada? Could anyone who is aware let me know the process? Does the Autism funding and services apply to Temporary workers and their dependents or is it just for Canadian PR and citizens? Lot of questions running through my mind. Hope someone can answer. God bless everyone.

Last edited:

Andyvik16

Jun 15, 2020
Hello Everyone,
This thread is very useful to understand the immigration scenario for Kids with autism although most of the discussion is for PR applicants. I am a temporary worker in Canada and below is my situation. Can someone who has gone through a similar situation answer my questions?

I came to Canada in Oct 2021 as a temporary worker through an Intra Company transfer work visa. I applied for my dependent's Visitor visa in February 2022 and my 3-year-old Kid's medicals were done in January 2022. However, it got refused by IRCC in March first week. Later in March 2022, he was diagnosed with Mild Autism while he is in his home country (India). We had done evaluation and diagnosis through a private Autism therapy clinic after being referred to by the child's pediatrician and was confirmed with mild autism symptoms during evaluation and the child is getting behavioural and occupational therapies currently. We reapplied for his visa in October 2022 and while applying we hadn't mentioned anything related to his Autism in his application and received visa approval in November 2022. Since his medicals are going to expire In Jan 2023, we plan to do re-medicals for him before travel(Travel can not be done before medical expiry due to some constraints). My questions are

1. Does having Autism symptoms have any impact on the medical results?
  2. If the Panel physicians suspect of anything related to Autism, do they ask for diagnosis and treatment reports for evaluating the medicals? or should we tell them upfront? We just have a digital copy of the diagnosis report from the private therapy center which we got in Feb 2022 and not from the pediatrician or Neurologist. Does the panellist insist on getting the latest report again?
  3. How long does it take for medicals to update in the immigration file for Autistic kids? Is it regular like others or does IRCC do additional tests on top of PP tests?
  4. Any other care should be taken while giving medicals for such cases?
  5. How are therapies given to kids in Canada? Could anyone who is aware let me know the process? Does the Autism funding and services apply to Temporary workers and their dependents or is it just for Canadian PR and citizens? Lot of questions running through my mind. Hope someone can answer. God bless everyone.
Hi Sudheer,

I recently applied for ICT Work visa and dependent visa and received approval. Please find my reply to your queries
1. Ideally Autism should not have any impact on the medical results.
2. It is advisable to inform the panel physician upfront and be honest about any medical condition. We informed the Physician during our medical test that my son is diagnosed with Autism and provided recent reports from Pediatrician and therapists. No additional information was requested.

Thanks and Regards,
Andy

Reactions: sudheer.167

kamalvkk

Feb 9, 2023
Hi friends,
I have a query regarding the PR process. below is my profile

Holding Visa type: Intra Company transfer Work permit(Closed)/LMIA exempt (1 Year experience canada)
Family: 5.5 years mild autistic non verbal son
Therapy status: undergoing ABA private
School: Yes,EA teacher for support

we are planning to apply for express entry, we met an immigration consultant who said PR would be difficult if the medical expense for the child is more than 21K/year. And we have registered for the OAP for funding(in waitlist).

Will this affect our PR process, need your suggestion/advice if any of group members have gone through the same situation. Really appreciate your comments.

Thanks & Regards,
Kamal

Airborne_Dan

Aug 24, 2012
Hi everyone, I see this is an old thread. It’s encouraging to see people in a similar situation have had success gaining PR. I’m starting the process of immigrating to Canada. Now in 2023, how long is it taking for approval for a child with autism. My 12 year son has a diagnosis. It’s either mild or moderate, he isn’t non verbal but we can’t get him into school as he refuses.