+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP

Mythman

Oct 8, 2016
Hello all,
I'm applying for PGWP, and the CIC website says the 90 day window within which I can apply starts once I get a written confirmation. I am getting an official transcript tomorrow and the formal letter of completion will take like 5 weeks to process. The college said the 90 day window starts the day I get the confirmation letter. I'm confused. Can I go ahead with the transcript? Also, the website said I need a supporting letter outlining the length of studies and code of the program. Is it different than the formal letter? Also, is there a chance I'll be refused because I applied so soon (last exam was on the 19th and there's couple of weeks before I get the formal letter)

Thanks

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Mythman said:
Hello all,
I'm applying for PGWP, and the CIC website says the 90 day window within which I can apply starts once I get a written confirmation. I am getting an official transcript tomorrow and the formal letter of completion will take like 5 weeks to process. The college said the 90 day window starts the day I get the confirmation letter. I'm confused. Can I go ahead with the transcript? Also, the website said I need a supporting letter outlining the length of studies and code of the program. Is it different than the formal letter? Also, is there a chance I'll be refused because I applied so soon (last exam was on the 19th and there's couple of weeks before I get the formal letter)

Thanks

1. 90 days starts the day you receive either transcripts or official letter of confirmation.

Mythman

Oct 8, 2016
Thanks! I had another question that I hope you can answer. Can I keep working on my current study visa which is valid until March 2017? The FAQs form from the college says I need to apply for pgwp before I can work. The International office didn't give me a satisfactory answer. I already have a valid study permit and it's winter break so I should be able to work. I'll only be able to apply once I get the transcript /letter which will take some time due to winter break so I don't know whether I should work or not. I'm kind of confused.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mythman said:
Thanks! I had another question that I hope you can answer. Can I keep working on my current study visa which is valid until March 2017? The FAQs form from the college says I need to apply for pgwp before I can work. The International office didn't give me a satisfactory answer. I already have a valid study permit and it's winter break so I should be able to work. I'll only be able to apply once I get the transcript /letter which will take some time due to winter break so I don't know whether I should work or not. I'm kind of confused.
Yes.

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Don't exceed 20 hours per week

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mythman said:
Hello all,

Thanks
Shouldn't be a problem.

Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit during the 90-day transition period following the completion of their program of study (i.e., the date on which they receive a notification of completion) if they fulfill all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

Mythman

Oct 8, 2016
chrbrow said:
Yes.

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Don't exceed 20 hours per week

Hi thanks so much. :=) so just to be clear I can work as long as I have a valid study permit (I would have to wait couple of weeks before I can apply for pgwp, but that's okay right?) Sorry one more question, so I should work only 20 hours? It's Christmas break now until Jan 3 so I think you meant we should work 20 hours once the break is over..?

Thanks

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had exactly the same situation. But, when I called CIC, they told that I can't work full time on study permit as I finished my course. They said, I can start working full time once I will apply for PGWP(Basically Implied status). You can explain this situation to your employer if you have a good job offer and after getting letter from school, go to nearest border and get your PGWP within 45 min.
Mythman said:

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You got it. You're allowed to work full time on regular scheduled breaks (Christmas, midterms), but can only work up to 20 hours per week under a study permit during regular school. Sounds like everything is shaping up nicely for you. Don't rush it; your 90 days doesn't start till you receive written confirmation that you have graduated.

Mythman

Oct 8, 2016
Thanks for the reply guys. I asked my college to speed up the process and got both the official transcript and a letter of completion(not graduation) from the college on the last day of college before it closes for holidays. :) I'll go ahead and apply for pgwp now. Is there a thing as applying too early? It's been less than a week since my last exam and I'm already applying for pgwp... It's nice the process was super short for me, but I don't want to rush if they reject for applying too soon...