+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP with unofficial transcript & completion letter

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi, I hope everyone's safe!

I am done with my studies and plan to apply for PGWP. I have the completion letter, but my college cannot issue the official transcript until several months later due to the current COVID-19 situation. They said I can use the unofficial transcript and include a letter of explanation in my application which states why I didn't include the official transcript.

My question is whether there's a risk of my PGWP getting rejected for not having the official transcripts?

Last edited:

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Thanks for the advice! No, they won't provide any letter but they said that I should include a letter of explanation along with my unofficial transcript. I also have their email so I'll make sure to take a screenshot of it.

yooo987

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
BC
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-06-2020
AOR Received.
23-11-2020
Hi, I'm in a similar situation but mine was missing because of Canada Post. Did you had your explanation letter and had your application went through? Thanks

yooo987

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
BC
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-06-2020
AOR Received.
23-11-2020
Hi! My application has been sent and is currently processing. I attached the college and the explanation letter. I'm extremely confident IRCC will be understanding with the whole Covid-19 situation. If you're unsure, you could attach proof you couldn't include it because of Canada Post.
Thank you for the replay! I'll follow your suggestions!

Ahad208

Apr 28, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I am also in same situation , my program is completed in March 2020, but I m still waiting for my official transcript. And I need help in explanation letter, please if u have any samples forward me , thank you

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
I am also in same situation , my program is completed in March 2020, but I m still waiting for my official transcript. And I need help in explanation letter, please if u have any samples forward me , thank you
You can apply using your completion letter and unofficial transcript, and a letter of explanation stating why you couldn't get the official transcript. Once you receive your official transcripts after a few months, you can add it to your application.

This is what I wrote for the letter:

Dear IRCC Officer,

Please note that I have included a copy of my transcript from my school’s website in my application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Due to our Enrolment Services offices working off-campus in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19, they are unable to mail the official transcripts at this time. Please see the letter from our Registrar, included in my application, that confirms this information.

Thank you for your consideration,

{Your name}
You can also ask the college to provide an official letter stating why an official transcript can't be provided. If you can't get it, then it's fine. The IRCC officers are understanding.

elluel

Jun 22, 2020
My college sent an email saying the following:

"During the period of the COVID-19 campus closures, the Niagara College Enrolment Services team has advised the following:

Upon meeting your program requirements, all international students graduating at the end of the Winter 2020 Term will automatically receive the following documents via their NC email address:
  • a copy of your grade report (the grade report is in lieu of an official transcript which is currently unavailable due to the current COVID-19 related campus closures)
  • a letter from Enrolment Services to accompany your grade report (this letter will explain the reason why an official transcript cannot be obtained at this time and why a grade report is being issued in place of an official transcript).
As always, we encourage students to attach a letter of explanation with their IRCC application, this letter would be attached in the ‘client information’ section of the document checklist. This letter can include an explanation of your academic completion path, what length of PGWP you are requesting and any other relevant information you need to share with immigration."

Does your college provide any letter explaining the reason transcripts are unavailable? If not, screenshot the email saying that official transcripts can't be sent at the moment and attach it to the letter. I'm very confident IRCC will be very understanding when it comes to COVID-19 graduates.

Seriously, don't worry too much about it. I've seen people getting their PGWP with unofficial transcripts. As long as you send a letter of explanation it'll be fine.
Hey , do you know when or where we are supposed to send a letter of explanation? I'm not in the same situation as OP but I'm not sure if it'd help with my current situation. I've stopped a 2 year program and moved to a different school and completed a 2 year program there. Im not sure if that warrants a letter of explanation.

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hey , do you know when or where we are supposed to send a letter of explanation? I'm not in the same situation as OP but I'm not sure if it'd help with my current situation. I've stopped a 2 year program and moved to a different school and completed a 2 year program there. Im not sure if that warrants a letter of explanation.
Yes, I would suggest that you include a letter of explanation just to be on the safe side.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
You can apply using your completion letter and unofficial transcript, and a letter of explanation stating why you couldn't get the official transcript. Once you receive your official transcripts after a few months, you can add it to your application.

This is what I wrote for the letter:

You can also ask the college to provide an official letter stating why an official transcript can't be provided. If you can't get it, then it's fine. The IRCC officers are understanding.
Did it work out for you?

Chetangoud

Jan 6, 2018
Hi ,
I submitted my pgwp application on 5th sep. I submitted all the required documents. But I think I made a mistake in the imm5701 form; in the employment section, I mentioned the start date of my part time job but did not mention the end date. Will this create a confusion ? What should i do ? any help is appreciated. I checked on ircc website it says that information is in this section ( employment section) for pgwp is not required but still i am concerned !

UserRZ

Sep 14, 2020
Hi,
I have the official transcript showing all my grades. But it will take weeks for my university to issue the degree completion letter. I have an urgent job offer starting next week. Could someone advise if I can apply PGWP without the degree completion letter, but attaching a letter of explanation? I will upload the degree completion letter through webform when available.

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
Hello! I am in a bit of complicated situation with my pgwp application. I have a job pressuring me to work fulltime as early as I could once my pgwp application is in (They have made it clear they will let me go if I do not work fulltime :(). Due to the current situation of Covid, my school will be sending out official transcripts a little bit late. So they sent me a support letter so I could apply using the unofficial transcript. However, my unofficial transcript does not reflect Summer 2020 as an official break (should've been my Co-op Work Term 2). So I was planning to make my own LOE regarding this, and I am just waiting for another support letter from the Co-op department stating that it was an official break. Should I go in with this application and use my unofficial transcript? And then just use webform to add in my official transcript as soon as I get it from mail? I am already included in the expedited list of my school due to my situation. Would this be okay? I really don't want to get rejected just because of this, but I also do not want to lose my job especially during this lockdown.

taiwolusol

Feb 9, 2018
Nigeria
IELTS Request
To be taken March 3rd
Hi,
I have the official transcript showing all my grades. But it will take weeks for my university to issue the degree completion letter. I have an urgent job offer starting next week. Could someone advise if I can apply PGWP without the degree completion letter, but attaching a letter of explanation? I will upload the degree completion letter through webform when available.
I am in a similar situation. Did you do this? Please respond.

Thanks.