+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP from Implied Status

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi

I submitted an application for study permit renewal in November. Since the processing times have been crazy lately, I'm still waiting to hear about it. I'm expecting to complete my degree in April, so I'm starting to get concerned that I will complete my degree without having the renewal application approved, especially given recent events - my previous study permit has now expired. Does anyone know what the situation is then? There's very little information about implied status.

1. If I'm on implied status and I complete my studies, how long does this implied status last? Three months after I complete? When they make a decision? I'm not sure what happens when I'm not actually a student anymore.

2. Can I apply for a PGWP when on implied status? If not, what am I supposed to do? Just wait until they review my study permit application? It implies that I need to HAVE a study permit, but then the only other option is 'restoration of status', which doesn't make sense because I haven't lost status.

Thank you for any help you're able to provide.

Last edited: