+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for passport

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
Hi all,

I recently received my Canadian citizenship certificate and have to apply for a passport.
I'm currently in Toronto and I see that I can either apply in person or by mail. The earliest in-person application I find is about a month from now.
Would applying by mail would have a faster turnaround than in-person?

RandomUser514

Mar 17, 2023
Quebec City
Hi all,

I recently received my Canadian citizenship certificate and have to apply for a passport.
I'm currently in Toronto and I see that I can either apply in person or by mail. The earliest in-person application I find is about a month from now.

Did you check walk-in offices and waiting time around your neighborhood ?

Reactions: armoured

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
Hi RandomUser514, I'm not really sure how to check for walk-in. I live in core downtown.
I'm assuming the passport is not handed out the same day of appointment. If that's the case, I'm okay with a date in next month.

I have to travel outside of Canada in October and will need to book in advance by August.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

e_ash

Jun 24, 2019
you can walk in to any location I believe or book an appointment online. Either way I think processing times these days are not bad - people receiving their passports in 10-12 days.

Reactions: tanwarkml

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi all,

Walk in at Passport Canada (not Service Canada) and you will be able to get this under 2 weeks. if you pay more and have travel booking even earlier
There are many locations in around Toronto where you can find Passport Canada.
Go around 11am for submission because by then the line up is usually gone.
If you go early you have to be in the queue for about an hour or so

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/map/map.asp#table1caption
Passport Office
74 Victoria Street, Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:30am-4:00pm Language: English

Reactions: tanwarkml

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
Walk in at Passport Canada (not Service Canada) and you will be able to get this under 2 weeks. if you pay more and have travel booking even earlier
There are many locations in around Toronto where you can find Passport Canada.
Go around 11am for submission because by then the line up is usually gone.
If you go early you have to be in the queue for about an hour or so

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/map/map.asp#table1caption
Passport Office
74 Victoria Street, Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:30am-4:00pm Language: English
Thanks so much for providing all the details. This passport office is very close by. I thought line-up would be less at 8.30 AM as it's really early in the morning but it seems 11 AM is better?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks so much for providing all the details. This passport office is very close by. I thought line-up would be less at 8.30 AM as it's really early in the morning but it seems 11 AM is better?
My experience was at the North York location in Oct 2022.
Reached at 8:00 am (No appointment and urgent travel requirement). There was a queue of about 50 odd people around then..
By the time we finished it was 12:30 pm and came down to find their was no queue up any longer.
Hence I suggested you to go around 11:00 am to avoid standing in the queue for a long time etc

Reactions: lila777

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
My experience was at the North York location in Oct 2022.
Reached at 8:00 am (No appointment and urgent travel requirement). There was a queue of about 50 odd people around then..
By the time we finished it was 12:30 pm and came down to find their was no queue up any longer.
Hence I suggested you to go around 11:00 am to avoid standing in the queue for a long time etc
wow, they were so fast with processing people! i thought they would run out of slots for the day if you don't walk-in super early

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
wow, they were so fast with processing people! i thought they would run out of slots for the day if you don't walk-in super early
We got our passport application processed as a standard process and they said it will be ready for collection in 2 weeks from the date of application. I opted for pick up instead of delivery. This back in Oct 2022. The congestion has eased and what I heard that one get their passport in hand with under a week with standard processing now a days

Reactions: lila777

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
I went around 1.40 PM and was done by 4 PM. They make you wait down and send in batches of 10. Once you go up, you have to wait again.

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all, I have a question regarding the identity documents required for a passport application. To apply for a passport, two photo ID documents are necessary. However, my wife does not have a driving license. Currently, she has only two ID options:
  1. New Brunswick Medicare card
  2. Indian passport
Unfortunately, the New Brunswick Medicare card does not have a photo on it. As a result, we are unsure whether it will be accepted as valid proof. Does anybody have any idea whether it will be accepted or not?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all, I have a question regarding the identity documents required for a passport application. To apply for a passport, two photo ID documents are necessary. However, my wife does not have a driving license. Currently, she has only two ID options:
  1. New Brunswick Medicare card
  2. Indian passport
Unfortunately, the New Brunswick Medicare card does not have a photo on it. As a result, we are unsure whether it will be accepted as valid proof. Does anybody have any idea whether it will be accepted or not?
1 and 2 together should work. Best in your case would be to apply at passport office. They verify docs before allowing you to be part of the line.

Ontario has photo id. For your wife you should apply something similar in New Brunswick. Will help you navigate such scenarios in the future.

Reactions: vipinait

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
1 and 2 together should work. Best in your case would be to apply at passport office. They verify docs before allowing you to be part of the line.

Ontario has photo id. For your wife you should apply something similar in New Brunswick. Will help you navigate such scenarios in the future.
Thanks a lot, I will make an in-person appointment.