+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for only myself OR with boyfriend?

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
Hi guys, with an updated IELTS score I am expecting an ITA next week, but this week I started to hesitate whether to apply for only myself or with my boyfriend. Would love to hear what you guys think since I am an EE beginner. Thanks!

Background:
1. CRS 505 if I apply as single; 494 for me as primary and him as secondary (so both cases an ITA is gettable)
2. It seems impossible for my boyfriend to apply on his own, since it's hard for him to get a good IELTS score
3. We are not married yet, but are planning to get married next year

My concerns:
1. I'm not sure if risks of getting PR successfully (and/or the whole processing time) will be increased if two persons' files are reviewed than only one
2. On the other hand, I am worried it might be difficult for my boyfriend to find a job in Canada with only work permit rather than PR (if I get my PR and then marry him then he apply for a work permit)
3. We need to get married NOW if we were to apply together (which kind of changes the original plan, but is acceptable anyway)

What do you guys think?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Hi guys, with an updated IELTS score I am expecting an ITA next week, but this week I started to hesitate whether to apply for only myself or with my boyfriend. Would love to hear what you guys think since I am an EE beginner. Thanks!

Background:
1. CRS 505 if I apply as single; 494 for me as primary and him as secondary (so both cases an ITA is gettable)
2. It seems impossible for my boyfriend to apply on his own, since it's hard for him to get a good IELTS score

My concerns:
1. I'm not sure if risks of getting PR successfully (and/or the whole processing time) will be increased if two persons' files are reviewed than only one
2. On the other hand, I am worried it might be difficult for my boyfriend to find a job in Canada with only work permit rather than PR if I apply on my own
3. We need to get married NOW if we were to apply together (which kind of changes the original plan, but is acceptable anyway)

What do you guys think?
I am not totally aware if you could apply together without being married. but you could always get the PR first and then later upon getting married apply for your boyfriend/husband.

shuiguo

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
You can only apply together if he's your spouse (legally married) or if he's your common law partner (have to prove that you've been living together continuously for at least one year).

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017

Background:

My concerns:
2. On the other hand, I am worried it might be difficult for my boyfriend to find a job in Canada with only work permit rather than PR if I apply on my own

What do you guys think?
Have you been living together?
He has a work permit? That sentence was unclear for me.

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
Have you been living together?
He has a work permit? That sentence was unclear for me.
Sorry for the confusion.
He does not have a work permit yet. I meant to say if I get my PR then we can get married and then he can apply for an open work permit as my spouse.

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
You can only apply together if he's your spouse (legally married) or if he's your common law partner (have to prove that you've been living together continuously for at least one year).
Yep, I am aware of that, and that's why I am considering whether we should get married soon and apply together.
What do you think? :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is he from a visa exempt country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nope he isn't.
In that case I would recommend getting married and applying together. Otherwise if you get PR on your own, you might end up being separated for most of a year while you wait for his sponsorship application to be processed.

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
In that case I would recommend getting married and applying together. Otherwise if you get PR on your own, you might end up being separated for most of a year while you wait for his sponsorship application to be processed.
Thank you for your suggestion!

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Sorry for the confusion.
He does not have a work permit yet. I meant to say if I get my PR then we can get married and then he can apply for an open work permit as my spouse.
He wouldnt get an open work permit regardless. You ll have to sponsor him first which takes a long time sometimes