+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for NEXUS card with dual citizenship.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I got my Canadian citizenship and a passport and now I am looking into applying for a Nexus card.
One of the steps is entering citizenship information. It allows me to add multiple citizenships.
Right now I have both Canadian and Polish citizenship, but I am wondering if I need to enter my Polish one.
I don't think it is relevant since Canadian one should be sufficient, but I don't want to get in trouble for not disclosing something.
On the other hand, as a Polish citizen, I need a visa to enter the US (I have one), so I would much rather just use Canadian passport instead.
If I provide both citizenships, will it make things more complicated at the border?

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
sjakub said:
Hi,

I got my Canadian citizenship and a passport and now I am looking into applying for a Nexus card.
One of the steps is entering citizenship information. It allows me to add multiple citizenships.
Right now I have both Canadian and Polish citizenship, but I am wondering if I need to enter my Polish one.
I don't think it is relevant since Canadian one should be sufficient, but I don't want to get in trouble for not disclosing something.
On the other hand, as a Polish citizen, I need a visa to enter the US (I have one), so I would much rather just use Canadian passport instead.
If I provide both citizenships, will it make things more complicated at the border?
I would just use Canadian citizenship. A good rule with this stuff is provide only what's necessary. Carry your Polish one with you and if they ask then show it. I would just put Canadian to streamline the process- NEXUS can take ages to get an interview for; I'm about to start this process in early February as well. Good luck.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If it asks for your citizenships and you know you are a Polish citizen and do not disclose, you are not answering truthfully. That's a good way to get denied. I don't see how having Polish citizenship in addition to Canadian is going to hurt you. Many people have dual or multiple citizenships these days.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
If it asks for your citizenships and you know you are a Polish citizen and do not disclose, you are not answering truthfully.
The way I understand those questions, it doesn't ask me for ALL citizenships I have,
but for those that support my eligibility. So Canadian and/or US if I have those,
otherwise other citizenship plus PR status in Canada and/or US.

In this context citizenships other than Canadian/US may be irrelevant...

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Dual citizenship is irrelevant however it must be declared and both passport information added to your profile however only the qualifying citizenship (Canadian ) is eligible for use with Nexus and Global Entry

good luck !!!!

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
twiggy said:
Dual citizenship is irrelevant however it must be declared and both passport information added to your profile however only the qualifying citizenship (Canadian ) is eligible for use with Nexus and Global Entry

good luck !!!!
Thanks for this- I was under the impression that we only add the qualifying hence my advice earlier. If they ask for ALL then there's no debate, but appreciate the clarification.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To add to this, I called them and I was told that all citizenship information should be entered, relevant or not.

Reactions: zi2010

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Hi
I cant find an answer will a person get a Nexus card if he needs US visa to enter US and he doesn't have a visa, but on the other hand that person have been living in Canada as a PR more than 3 years and have clean criminal record?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
sjakub said:
To add to this, I called them and I was told that all citizenship information should be entered, relevant or not.
Thanks for reporting back on what you found out.

roli001

Jul 29, 2015
Burlington
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just received my Nexus card this week. Same situation Polish/Canadian citizenship.

The application is quite clear in stating that you need to submit documents confirming your eligibility for Nexus i.e. Canadian passport and driver's license. There is nothing in the application asking for any other citizenship information i.e. Polish passport.

I gave only my Canadian information and I was pre-approved after approx 8 weeks and interviewed 2 weeks later at Fort Erie.

Now...even though I did not give my Polish information in the application form, I was asked by the US officer during the interview if I had my Polish passport with me. I said no, I did not as it was not stated in the document checklist that I need to bring it with me. She seemed OK with it but I would recommend that you take your Polish passport with you "just in case".

The two documents that were checked were my Canadian passport and driver's license.

Powodzenia.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Sorry to slightly change the topic.

I am also thinking of applying for Nexus. I have dual citizenship. I am going to declare both.

However I am not a frequent traveler. Will I be able to apply and also what kind of questions they ask.

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
you dont need to be a frequent traveler to apply. they might ask during the interview why you need, just indicate for ease of travel

good luck !!!

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Thanks a lot

alexukie

Feb 22, 2017
Hi I am new to the forum. My wife has Nexus now for 5+ years through her Venezuelan passport - she has recently got her Canadian passport and updated it with Nexus. However the US customs agent said she still has to enter USA with her Venezuelan passport if she wants to use Nexus because her US visa is still valid (for another 8 years!!!) even though she has now Canadian passport and it is updated in the NEXUS system. He said US visa in Venezuelan passport has precedence over Canadian passport.

It makes no sense to me? Why does she need her Venezuelan passport to travel if she has Nexus and Canadian passport. Did anyone else come across this issue?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
alexukie said:
Hi I am new to the forum. My wife has Nexus now for 5+ years through her Venezuelan passport - she has recently got her Canadian passport and updated it with Nexus. However the US customs agent said she still has to enter USA with her Venezuelan passport if she wants to use Nexus because her US visa is still valid (for another 8 years!!!) even though she has now Canadian passport and it is updated in the NEXUS system. He said US visa in Venezuelan passport has precedence over Canadian passport.

It makes no sense to me? Why does she need her Venezuelan passport to travel if she has Nexus and Canadian passport. Did anyone else come across this issue?
I had my nexus when I was a Indian citizen. After becoming Canadian, i got my documents updated(not Nexus though) and renounced my indian citizenship and every time crossing the USA border, they used to ask to see my Canadian passport. I had to show my Canadian passport as my nexus was showing Indian nationality. I then got my nexus card reissued with Canadian citizenship.

I think on her nexus card, the citizenship is showing as Venezuela, right? Go to nearest Nexus office and talk to them and ask for their opinion and then ask them to re-issue her nexus with her canadian citizenship on it. Also submit your Venezuelan details as well to update however the primary citizenship on the nexus, you can request to add Canadian citizenship on it.. That may help.