+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for nexus before citizenship application

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Does applying for nexus card 1 or 2 months before you apply for citizenship cause any delays in citizenship processing time? I know the nexus card require fingerprints and iris scan and I heard citizenship applications will also request for fingerprints at times so I don't know if there is redundancy there.

che2019

Star Member
Aug 21, 2019
I don't think so . But I must say it was a painful process for my Nexus application before citizenship. and after I received the card, it did not read at Montreal Airport. CBSA said the old airport nexus card scanners do not read brand new nexus cards........

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Is it possible to apply for nexus without citizenship?
What are the current requirements?

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
I had heard that NEXUS used to allow permanent residents of Canada to obtain NEXUS cards but now require citizenship. Just curious. Thanks.

ladyday

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Category........
CEC
Negative, I got my Nexus this year as a PR. You must have 3 years of permanent residence though and of course be allowed into the US through a Visa or ETA depending on your nationality.
Hi Fabiano,
I was looking at the Nexus requirements on the website and I was unsure about the following part:

Permanent residents of Canada and the U.S. must have resided as legal residents of Canada or the U.S. for a minimum of three years before the day of application.

For example, I have the PR around 6 months now, but I've been leaving in Canada for more than 3 years now. So, am I eligible for the Nexus program?

Thank you!

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Hi Fabiano,
I was looking at the Nexus requirements on the website and I was unsure about the following part:

Permanent residents of Canada and the U.S. must have resided as legal residents of Canada or the U.S. for a minimum of three years before the day of application.

For example, I have the PR around 6 months now, but I've been leaving in Canada for more than 3 years now. So, am I eligible for the Nexus program?

Thank you!
Yes if you have been resident of Canada for 3 years and have PR you qualify for Nexus. Note it's not 3 years of residence as PR, just legal residence so WP, student visa etc is good.

There is a long delay on conditional approval at the moment (like 7+ months) though.

Also I don't think they take Iris scan anymore, the new Nexus machines use facial recognition to process a traveller.

Reactions: ladyday