+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for my kids' citizenship and need "two" ID documents

matts19

Jul 2, 2023
My kids are born in USA and so I am having to apply for their Canadian citizenship.

Regarding https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#step1

For establishing their ID, I can provide their passport, but the 2nd ID document seems hard to get because they are both minors with no other ID such as driver's license.

The instruction says in this case I have to attach an explanation as to why I cannot provide secondary piece of ID, but I really don't want to go to that route.

In place of a driver's license, is it OK if I provided my daughter's "Real ID" from Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, that are given to minors who do not yet have driver license but is recognized as a legal state ID ?

My other child (son) is only 9 - and not even eligible to get Real ID. Is there anything else I can do here besides attaching an explanation for not having a secondary ID document ? We have their private health insurance cards, but they do not have DOB so I cannot use them unfortunately.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
My kids are born in USA and so I am having to apply for their Canadian citizenship.

Regarding https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#step1

For establishing their ID, I can provide their passport, but the 2nd ID document seems hard to get because they are both minors with no other ID such as driver's license.

The instruction says in this case I have to attach an explanation as to why I cannot provide secondary piece of ID, but I really don't want to go to that route.

In place of a driver's license, is it OK if I provided my daughter's "Real ID" from Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, that are given to minors who do not yet have driver license but is recognized as a legal state ID ?

My other child (son) is only 9 - and not even eligible to get Real ID. Is there anything else I can do here besides attaching an explanation for not having a secondary ID document ? We have their private health insurance cards, but they do not have DOB so I cannot use them unfortunately.
Do they have school records?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It says right in the instructions: " If you’re applying on behalf of a minor who does not have two pieces of identification, or does not have a photo ID, please include an explanation letter with the application."

That said - I did for a child and I believe there's an expanded list for minors (which I can't find now), which gives a few more options, like school records, doctor records I believe, etc.

Do a short letter of explanation and try to include a few other documents of 'other stuff' - school records, doctor record, immunization record, Social security if the kid has one, etc. These are just examples. You'll see there it also says a few other things that are not accepted as ID, but nothing says you can't include a few of those as supporting documents.

matts19

Jul 2, 2023
Thank you guys, as a 2nd piece of ID I will include proof of school enrollment and medical record with a letter explaining these pieces of evidence. More papers, the merrier in this case I guess! Thanks again!

Reactions: armoured

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you guys, as a 2nd piece of ID I will include proof of school enrollment and medical record with a letter explaining these pieces of evidence. More papers, the merrier in this case I guess! Thanks again!
Back in 2021 when we applied for citizenship along with our kids, we provided the passport and health insurance(OHIP) card.

you should refer this link(if they are applying for citizneship along with at least one of the parents): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step2

• Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
    Examples include:
    • permanent resident card (PR card)
      • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government
    • school record;
    • health insurance card;
    • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
    • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
  • Photocopy of birth certificate or adoption order
    The document must show:
    • the minor’s name;
    • date of birth;
    • place of birth;
    • the names of the parents or adoptive parents.

Reactions: matts19

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Back in 2021 when we applied for citizenship along with our kids, we provided the passport and health insurance(OHIP) card.

you should refer this link(if they are applying for citizneship along with at least one of the parents): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step2

• Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
    Examples include:
    • permanent resident card (PR card)
      • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government
    • school record;
    • health insurance card;
    • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
    • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
  • Photocopy of birth certificate or adoption order
    The document must show:
    • the minor’s name;
    • date of birth;
    • place of birth;
    • the names of the parents or adoptive parents.
I recently got my citizenship and am planning to apply online for my daughter who is a US citizen. Is it ok to upload her expired PR card as 1 ID? Don’t see it mentioned in the instructions about the ID being valid - has anyone done it?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I recently got my citizenship and am planning to apply online for my daughter who is a US citizen. Is it ok to upload her expired PR card as 1 ID? Don’t see it mentioned in the instructions about the ID being valid - has anyone done it?
Expiry of PR card does not alter the PR status of the individual within Canada

Reactions: karthik2479

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
That's what I used for 2nd ID (Texas DPS ID for minors, which looks exactly like a DL). So total 3 docs: BC, US Passport, Texas ID. No questions asked and CoC was issued (after a LONG wait).