+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for MSP in Vancouver, can I get a BC Services Card too?

Robo_lock

Feb 24, 2021
Hello,

Me and my spouse have an application for PR inland, sent on April 16th.

I have read that I can apply for MSP with my PR receipt and other bits of ID. Can I also get a BC services photo card as well? I have previously attended an ICBC office to try and get a driving licence but I couldn't get one with what I had.

Not sure if I need a BC services card to qualify for my MSP but the website makes it sound like I have to?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Me and my spouse have an application for PR inland, sent on April 16th.

I have read that I can apply for MSP with my PR receipt and other bits of ID. Can I also get a BC services photo card as well? I have previously attended an ICBC office to try and get a driving licence but I couldn't get one with what I had.

Not sure if I need a BC services card to qualify for my MSP but the website makes it sound like I have to?

Thanks.
What are your current statuses in Canada?

Robo_lock

Feb 24, 2021
Hi, thanks for getting back to us

I am a visitor who now has 'maintained status' via our PR application, i've been here over 6 months.

She is a citizen

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you have proof of paying the entire application fee, you can qualify for MSP. They will most likely give you a photo-less BC Services Card until you get your PR - they are not currently issuing Services Cards with photos for temporary residents.

If you get MSP, you're going to get a Services Card of some sort.

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have a similar question.

I'm a new PR. I booked an appointment with ICBC to complete MSP enrolment, as per their instructions.
When I came to ICBC for my appointment, they told me I needed to wait until my application was processed (21 days) before visiting ICBC.
I found it weird so I gave them a call and the guy on the phone told me that I even need to get my PR card before visiting ICBC. COPR would not be enough.

Are we covered by MSP after 3 months even without that ICBC appointment? I won't get my PR card before a long time. I couldn't apply with an Airbnb address.

Cherry on the top, it seems that I reached my quota of ICBC appointments, i.e. 1 appointment.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I'm a new PR. I booked an appointment with ICBC to complete MSP enrolment, as per their instructions.
When I came to ICBC for my appointment, they told me I needed to wait until my application was processed (21 days) before visiting ICBC.
I found it weird so I gave them a call and the guy on the phone told me that I even need to get my PR card before visiting ICBC. COPR would not be enough.

Are we covered by MSP after 3 months even without that ICBC appointment? I won't get my PR card before a long time. I couldn't apply with an Airbnb address.

Cherry on the top, it seems that I reached my quota of ICBC appointments, i.e. 1 appointment.
I suggest you read all responses (except the last one) in this previous thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cant-have-bc-msp-unless-pr-card-arrives.754581/

Reactions: MortyC137

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You should apply for a PR card even if you only have an Airbnb address. You can update the address later on

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
You should apply for a PR card even if you only have an Airbnb address. You can update the address later on
The officer at the airport asked me if my address was an Airbnb. I said yes and he said that I cannot apply yet and handed me over an application form to fill out after moving to a permanent address.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The officer at the airport asked me if my address was an Airbnb. I said yes and he said that I cannot apply yet and handed me over an application form to fill out after moving to a permanent address.
In either case, it would be a hassle to update address with them. Better to rent unseen a short term (in our case, 4 months) house mainly for getting the PR card.