+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for international student visa in 38 years of age

MonRup

Sep 12, 2020
Hi,

Wishing a very good day to all.

I am very new to these forums and recently started to explore about international students category in Canada. I have done my bachelors in year 2003 and since then working in retail sector and now on managerial profile in middle east.

I will appreciate if some of you can guide me on following -

1. Which university can be the best options to get acceptance letter and also having low refusal rate for study permits.

2. What can be the best course options for person like me who has completed his graduation ( Bachelor in Arts) and working in retail field.

3. Is it advisable to try for study permit in 38 years of age? Off course i need to be optimistic, however experience of you guys can add lot of value in my decision.

4. Is it possible to accompany my family with me while i plan myself on student visa? I am married and having a son.

5. What would you guys recommend me to focus in terms of some prearrangements for January intake?

Regards

binnareyn

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
1. [University and Program] You have to find this out for yourself.
[Low Refusal Rate] You should be admitted to DLIs. Designated Learning Institutes. [Please google.]
2. Same as above.
3. You will know only after you apply. Each individual case is different. You have to convince the visa officer that studies is your primary objective; and you will leave the country after your studies.
4. Yes, as per canada.ca. You need to show proof of funds for all the people accompanying you.
a) IELTS Academic (6.0 in all, 7.5 overall) or French Test.
b) Make a list of programs and universities you want to apply; and talk to the admissions offices.
It should be directly related to your current work and your previous degree or any certifications thereafter.
c) Start applying for "September 2021" intake. Applications close by December 2020.

Is studies your primary objective or migration?

Other options:
1. Express Entry
2. Provincial Nominations
3. You spouse can apply for study visa; you can accompany.

MonRup

Sep 12, 2020
1. [University and Program] You have to find this out for yourself.
[Low Refusal Rate] You should be admitted to DLIs. Designated Learning Institutes. [Please google.]
2. Same as above.
3. You will know only after you apply. Each individual case is different. You have to convince the visa officer that studies is your primary objective; and you will leave the country after your studies.
4. Yes, as per canada.ca. You need to show proof of funds for all the people accompanying you.
a) IELTS Academic (6.0 in all, 7.5 overall) or French Test.
b) Make a list of programs and universities you want to apply; and talk to the admissions offices.
It should be directly related to your current work and your previous degree or any certifications thereafter.
c) Start applying for "September 2021" intake. Applications close by December 2020.

Is studies your primary objective or migration?

Other options:
1. Express Entry
2. Provincial Nominations
3. You spouse can apply for study visa; you can accompany.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a few additional pieces of information. Yiu need a school to be more than a DLI. You need ro find a school that is a DLI that also qualifies for PGWP. In general I would stay way from private schools. In order to get a permit you will need to show that your choice of study makes sense based on youe previous education and work history and thst the degree will lead to career advancement. It also must appear to make sense at your age to leave your job to return to school and pay high fees. Living in a 3rd country creates difficulties because you must show strong ties to your home country and that you'll return home after your studies. Families of international students are not guarantees visas/permits. You can apply gor them but it is around 50/50. Advanced degrees like masters and PhDs seem to have their families approved more easily. One of the things you will need yo show is that you can financially support your family in addition to your stuides even if you don't find employment in Canada. You you are attempting to study in January you must start applying asap.

RehanaS

Star Member
Sep 7, 2020
Just a few additional pieces of information. Yiu need a school to be more than a DLI. You need ro find a school that is a DLI that also qualifies for PGWP. In general I would stay way from private schools. In order to get a permit you will need to show that your choice of study makes sense based on youe previous education and work history and thst the degree will lead to career advancement. It also must appear to make sense at your age to leave your job to return to school and pay high fees. Living in a 3rd country creates difficulties because you must show strong ties to your home country and that you'll return home after your studies. Families of international students are not guarantees visas/permits. You can apply gor them but it is around 50/50. Advanced degrees like masters and PhDs seem to have their families approved more easily. One of the things you will need yo show is that you can financially support your family in addition to your stuides even if you don't find employment in Canada. You you are attempting to study in January you must start applying asap.
Kindly comment if all DLI Schools aren't eligible for PGWP?

RehanaS

Star Member
Sep 7, 2020
Thanks for the help, mine is in list too, I was so scared to read your comment. I didn't know earlier that, I thought all are eligible for work permit which are DLI.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Hi,

Wishing a very good day to all.

I am very new to these forums and recently started to explore about international students category in Canada. I have done my bachelors in year 2003 and since then working in retail sector and now on managerial profile in middle east.

I will appreciate if some of you can guide me on following -

1. Which university can be the best options to get acceptance letter and also having low refusal rate for study permits.

2. What can be the best course options for person like me who has completed his graduation ( Bachelor in Arts) and working in retail field.

3. Is it advisable to try for study permit in 38 years of age? Off course i need to be optimistic, however experience of you guys can add lot of value in my decision.

4. Is it possible to accompany my family with me while i plan myself on student visa? I am married and having a son.

5. What would you guys recommend me to focus in terms of some prearrangements for January intake?

Regards
- Try for Master's program in Management or MBA ( Yes, they are expensive).
- Do not apply with Family initially, apply for self and have it approved and later plan for family
- You need to have solid funds for your education in Canada as well as you also have to show funds for family's livelyhood.
- You have to work on a solid study plan ( Why this program? Why Canada What are your educational Goals? And so on)
- Have clear hometies ( Properties in home country, family in home country and so on)

If you are able to put everything in proper order and present your case to VO then you may have a shot.

Reactions: MonRup

MonRup

Sep 12, 2020
Thanks a ton!! I am getting the feel what exactly i have to do to minimize the risk of rejection.

To avoid some other mind disturbing confusions, which are some of the filtered best options for institutes which offering MBA program. List is so big in many provinces and i must explore them, google them but just in case some are having ideas on it.

Its a great place, thanks for ongoing guidance.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks a ton!! I am getting the feel what exactly i have to do to minimize the risk of rejection.

To avoid some other mind disturbing confusions, which are some of the filtered best options for institutes which offering MBA program. List is so big in many provinces and i must explore them, google them but just in case some are having ideas on it.

Its a great place, thanks for ongoing guidance.
Check my signature for business programs, I have done the research for you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Also recommned you look at McGill's new MiM in Retailing program. Sounds like it would align with your background.
If OP is going to be approved for a study permit at their age then they definitely will need to apply for a top tier master's program in business/retail at McGill, UofT, UBC, Western, etc.

Reactions: MonRup

MonRup

Sep 12, 2020
If OP is going to be approved for a study permit at their age then they definitely will need to apply for a top tier master's program in business/retail at McGill, UofT, UBC, Western, etc.
Thanks!! What is OP btw? I am sorry, just a newbie here and not familiar with these abbreviations.