+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Indian Tourist Visa on a Canadian PP, without surrendering Indian PP

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
You can travel to India without surrender. In fact, you can go to a passport office in India and there you can apply for Surrender cert and get it in 1-2 days. The latter is 2nd hand info, but worth trying IMO.

Reactions: immigrate2017

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Honestly you should be set with the info I provided here - but message me on this forum if there's any other questions. I applied 3 weeks before flying (and had to change my flights because it didn't come in time). Expect the processing time to take between 3-4 weeks based on caseload.
Hello! I am in the process of applying for my tourist visa and am unsure what to say for "Previous Visa/Currently Valid Visa Details".
This question comes into play when I check on "Yes" for "Have you visited India before?" I've always lived in India until 8 years ago and travelled on my Indian Passport. There is no option to select Indian passport or citizenship here, just the different visa options.

I'd appreciate your response!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hello! I am in the process of applying for my tourist visa and am unsure what to say for "Previous Visa/Currently Valid Visa Details".
This question comes into play when I check on "Yes" for "Have you visited India before?" I've always lived in India until 8 years ago and travelled on my Indian Passport. There is no option to select Indian passport or citizenship here, just the different visa options.

I'd appreciate your response!
the answer would be No as you have not travelled to india on a prior visa. also i want to know why you are applying for tourist visa
when you can go for entry visa (as a prior indian citizen). you get it sooner and provided for longer duration

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
the answer would be No as you have not travelled to india on a prior visa. also i want to know why you are applying for tourist visa
when you can go for entry visa (as a prior indian citizen). you get it sooner and provided for longer duration
Thank you!
I am not applying for an entry visa because I don't have a surrender certificate yet. I haven't surrendered my passport yet, so want to travel soon in the next few weeks. Once I'm back, I'll apply to surrender and get my OCI.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Thank you!
I am not applying for an entry visa because I don't have a surrender certificate yet. I haven't surrendered my passport yet, so want to travel soon in the next few weeks. Once I'm back, I'll apply to surrender and get my OCI.
You do not need a surrender certificate to apply for a entry visa as well. You just need the acknowledgement that you have surrendered your Indian passport . ie you can do surrender and apply for visa at same time if you want to. Processing time for entry visa is less than a week in toronto consulate

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
You do not need a surrender certificate to apply for a entry visa as well. You just need the acknowledgement that you have surrendered your Indian passport . ie you can do surrender and apply for visa at same time if you want to. Processing time for entry visa is less than a week in toronto consulate
OK great! Thanks for the info! I have already filled out all the paper work for Tourist visa, so I'll go ahead this time. My appointment is on Saturday this weekend. Is there any downfall in applying for tourist visa? I know our entries are limited and takes about 3 weeks, but I'm planning to get my OCI anyways in the next few months, so does it matter?

Reactions: delray55

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
OK great! Thanks for the info! I have already filled out all the paper work for Tourist visa, so I'll go ahead this time. My appointment is on Saturday this weekend. Is there any downfall in applying for tourist visa? I know our entries are limited and takes about 3 weeks, but I'm planning to get my OCI anyways in the next few months, so does it matter?
Nothing other than you have mentioned already that i know. All the best with your appointment

Reactions: immigrate2017

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Nothing other than you have mentioned already that i know. All the best with your appointment
So in the application, they ask for Passport Details. First you enter all Indian passport details (like shown in the sample).

Next they ask if we have another valid passport/identity? The sample form says we should enter details of the other passport (in my case Canadian passport) if we hold dual citizenship. Does this apply to me now? We are not allowed to hold dual citizenship as Indians.

Reactions: delray55

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
So in the application, they ask for Passport Details. First you enter all Indian passport details (like shown in the sample).

Next they ask if we have another valid passport/identity? The sample form says we should enter details of the other passport (in my case Canadian passport) if we hold dual citizenship. Does this apply to me now? We are not allowed to hold dual citizenship as Indians.
you can say "No"

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
So my application was apparently incorrect so they sent me back. I’m refilling it out and will go back. I forgot to ask them if I had to bring a paid courier package with me? It’s not specified anywhere so wondering how and when they’ll ship the passport back?
thanks!

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
So my application was apparently incorrect so they sent me back. I’m refilling it out and will go back. I forgot to ask them if I had to bring a paid courier package with me? It’s not specified anywhere so wondering how and when they’ll ship the passport back?
thanks!
Were you able to find out why they said it was incorrect? Was it because you didn't have a surrender certificate?