+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for FSW while employed in Canada

angelangel

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Hi

My friend doesn't qualify under CEC as she just has 11 months work experience.

So she is currently working in Ontario and applying under FSW.

Is she required to show her financials if she has a full-time paid job in Canada? She doesn't have $ 12300. Can she take it as a gift from her parents?

She will be applying in November, if her parents transfer the amount in her account this month, is it ok?

Kindly suggest a way.

Thanks

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi

Is she required to show her financials if she has a full-time paid job in Canada? She doesn't have $ 12300. Can she take it as a gift from her parents?

She will be applying in November, if her parents transfer the amount in her account this month, is it ok?

Kindly suggest a way.

Thanks
As long as she gets a Gift Deed for the amount transferred from her parents, this will be fine. If she applies under FSW, she will need to show proof of funds unless she has a VALID offer of employment for Canada. Please note though, that not every job offer qualifies as a VALID job offer, for Express Entry purposes. See below from IRCC's website to see if your friend's job qualifies as 'valid':

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

Offer of employment: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
If you have a job offer (offer of arranged employment), you need to update your Express Entry profile in your account with the :

Your job offer must:

• be in writing
  • not be from an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada
  • set out details of the job they’re offering you, such as:
    • your pay and deductions
    • your job duties
    • conditions of employment, like your hours of work
A work permit on its own is not a job offer, even if it is an open work permit.

Your job offer must also meet other criteria to be valid under the Express Entry program you qualify for below.
Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class
A valid job offer has to be:

• made by one employer
  • continuous
  • paid
  • full-time (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
    • not seasonal
    • not on a contract basis
  • in a job that is NOC:
    • Skill Type 0 or
    • Skill Levels A or B
It also must be made :

• by an employer with a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
  • if you’re currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on an LMIA, and:
    • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
    • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
    • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident OR
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
Federal Skilled Trades workers
A valid job offer has to be:

• made by up to two employers
  • for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year
  • in a skilled trade occupation (jobs with 2011 NOC codes that start with 72, 73, 82, 92 as well as 632 and 633)
It also must be made:

• by employer(s) who have a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
  • if you’re currently working in Canada in a skilled trade job a work permit that was issued based on a positive LMIA, and:
    • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
    • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued
    • your current employer(s) offered you a full-time job if you’re accepted as a permanent resident, in a job that is in the same three digit level of the NOC as your current job, for at least one year OR
  • you have a valid work permit for one of the listed skilled trade occupation and it’s exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for the employer(s) on your work permit who is making the offer and
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
Examples of a valid and non-valid job offer
In both examples, the LMIA supports the job offer as set out above, or is exempt from needing an LMIA.

Example 1
Two companies hire a heavy equipment operator. The LMIA lists both. Each employer is offering 16 hours of work per week for a minimum of one year.

This job offer is valid.

Example 2
A construction company offers a plumber a position for 25 hours per week. It’s on a non-contract basis.

This job offer isn’t valid. A job must be for at least 30 hours a week to be full -time.

Jobs exempt from needing an LMIA
There are only two reasons the employer making you the offer doesn’t need to get a new LMIA:

1. if you’re already working for them with a work permit based on that LMIA
  2. if you work in a job that doesn’t need an LMIA
Find out more about jobs that are exempt.

Your employer must get a new LMIA if:

• your work permit has expired
  • you’re working on an open work permit
  • you have a job offer from an employer not listed on your work permit
Can you do the job?
Our officers must be convinced that you will:

• be capable of doing the work you’re offered
  • likely qualify to be licensed or certified by the relevant regulatory body once you’re in Canada ( if the job is regulated in Canada)
Provinces and territories are responsible for designating professions and trades in their jurisdiction. Designation and certification requirements vary by province. Get more information on licensing and regulatory requirements for specific professions or contact the relevant body in the province/territory where you plan to live.

Dipinderk

Sep 9, 2019
Hi

Kindly suggest a way.

Thanks
I am in the same situation. Could you help me with answering what approach did she follow?

Tom0712

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
I am in the same situation. Could you help me with answering what approach did she follow?
I am working in Canada, applied under FSW, not CEC. I had to show POF, it is mandatory unless you got a job offer as mentioned above. So, it is most likely a must to you.

Hope this helps you

Reactions: Dipinderk

Mykematt

Star Member
Dec 6, 2020
I am working in Canada, applied under FSW, not CEC. I had to show POF, it is mandatory unless you got a job offer as mentioned above. So, it is most likely a must to you.

Hope this helps you
May I ask how long you've been in Canada before you apply?

I am anticipating a postdoc. So I am planning on entering Canada on work permit then applying under the FSW as soon as I settle down. So my question is whether there is a minimum time one must be in Canada before he or she can apply under the FSW-Inland scheme?

Mykematt

Star Member
Dec 6, 2020
May I ask how long you've been in Canada before you apply?

I am anticipating a postdoc. So I am planning on entering Canada on work permit then applying under the FSW as soon as I settle down. So my question is whether there is a minimum time one must be in Canada before he or she can apply under the FSW-Inland scheme?

Reactions: Shahnavazkhan

theseeker19

May 15, 2022
Is the case also the same for someone who is working on a LMIA approved work permit. Do we still need to show proof of funds?
also, the LMIA and job offer for my current job, can that be used for the additional points in FSW?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is the case also the same for someone who is working on a LMIA approved work permit. Do we still need to show proof of funds?
also, the LMIA and job offer for my current job, can that be used for the additional points in FSW?
Is your permit LMIA exempt? If so, not until you have one Canadian experience.

theseeker19

May 15, 2022
Thanks! I am trying to create my new profile because the older one expired. So I can use my job(with LMIA and work permit) for getting the points.
I will look at the requirements on the website.