+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for first PR card

kaxyp1

Jun 17, 2015
I am trying to apply for my Permanent Resident card but am unsure about some of the questions asked on the application.
One, the date I became a permanent resident. Is that the day I first came to Canada?
Two, I do not have an IMM 5292 or a document given to me when I entered the country. What I do have is a form extending my tourist visa.
Any help appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you only have a tourist visa, you are not eligible for a PR card.

kaxyp1

Jun 17, 2015
Sorry, not a visa, it is a temporary resident status. I have also recently married my common law husband. He is Canadian.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaxyp1 said:
Sorry, not a visa, it is a temporary resident status. I have also recently married my common law husband. He is Canadian.
First you have to apply for PR status. Your husband can sponsor you.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaxyp1 said:
Yes, that is what I am trying to do. But unsure of a few questions on the application.
Then it seems you are filling in wrong application.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
kaxyp1 said:
I am trying to apply for my Permanent Resident card but am unsure about some of the questions asked on the application.
One, the date I became a permanent resident. Is that the day I first came to Canada?
Two, I do not have an IMM 5292 or a document given to me when I entered the country. What I do have is a form extending my tourist visa.
Any help appreciated.
In case you are on a tourist visa (trv) and your spouse is Canadian citizen then to get a permanent residence status your spouse has to sponsor you. there are 2 options for you:-

1) to submit an inland spousal sponsorship application:
if you choose to submit an inland application you will be able to live in canada with your spouse through out the process and you may also get a work permit which will authorize you to work in canada. the only disadvantage of inland sponsorship is that the process is very long (it may take 2-3 years) and you cannot leave canada during the application process. if you leave canada your application will be abandoned and you have to start from scratch.

2) to submit an Out-land spousal sponsorship application
you can also submit an outland application while living in canada as a visitor (with tourist visa). the advantage of outland is that it is fast and you wont have any restrictions to live in canada (however you can still live in canada by applying extension to stay)

you read more about the above type of sponsorship and requirements visit these links
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

So concluding you cannot directly apply for a PR card. you first have to apply for a permanent residence status as a spouse of a Canadian citizen (i.e through sponsorship). once your sponsorship application is completed successfully you will get a PR card.

i hope it helps