+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Federal Skilled worker - Wife have leukemia

jam3s

Mar 29, 2013
Good day,

Hi. I would just like to ask about my situation. I am qualified to apply for federal skilled worker program. I have a wife and 1 son. My wife has a leukemia. Will it affect the processing especially on medical examination? is there a possibilities that she cant be approve for visa? I was thinking its better to know more about this before pushing through my applications for immigration...

Thank You and hoping for your kind response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your wife currently has leukemia - then I think there it's pretty much definite she will be found inadmissible to Canada. If CIC believes someone will be a burden on the health care system - then this will result in a refusal. Also, if your wife is refused, then you and your son will be refused as well.

I would wait until your wife is healthy before you submit the sponsorship application. I don't see how your wife will pass the medical given her current condition.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Firstly let me say to the OP that I am very sorry to hear of your wife's condition.

However, I believe that medicals with regards a Canada immigration application are not as black and white as pass/fail.

CIC are concerned medically with 3 things before admitting a new immigrant to Canada:

1) That they do not pose a threat to public safety (e.g. alcohol or drugs problems)
2) That they do not pose a threat to public health (e.g. serious contagious disease such as HIV or syphillis)
3) That they will not pose an excessive financial strain on the welfare system.

Since I do not believe leukemia is in any way contagious then it would seem only 3) above applies. I think rather than outright fail the application they may write to you and ask you to show how you can finance any excessive medical fees which might be incurred with your wife's condition.

If you can prove to them adequately that you will not present an excessive strain because of health insurance etc already in place, then it may still not be a problem.

If your wife's treatment is expected to lead to a full recovery then it may certainly be simpler to wait until the recovery has happened, but then again you may lose a chance to apply through FSWP if you are eligible now.

For further advice you may wish to send an email to the visa office you intend to apply through, thoroughly explaining the situation, and see how they would assess this should you apply.

Best of luck,
Wayne.