+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for EI benefits

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I live in Calgary and my girlfriend in Toronto. After long distance dating for a year, we have decided to live together in Toronto.

According to my research the only way I can receive Employment Insurance benefits is if we plan to get married.

Do you know how is the process? Do we need to send Wedding Invitation Cards as a proof or what documents are they going to ask or it’s just my declaration enough?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I live in Calgary and my girlfriend in Toronto. After long distance dating for a year, we have decided to live together in Toronto.

According to my research the only way I can receive Employment Insurance benefits is if we plan to get married.

Do you know how is the process? Do we need to send Wedding Invitation Cards as a proof or what documents are they going to ask or it’s just my declaration enough?
How are you eligible for EI? You are voluntarily leaving your job to move to where you spouse lives. Your future spouse is not being transferred to Toronto.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/quit-job.html

Last edited:

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Show what they are asking - proof that you cannot meet the alternatives and have to quit your job. You will want to show you resignation letter stating that you are leaving because moving and marriage, wedding invitation, where you are living in Ontario. You need to prove you are moving to Ontario so you need proof of residence.

Last edited:

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Show what they are asking - proof that you cannot meet the alternatives and have to quit your job. You will want to show you resignation letter stating that you are leaving because moving and marriage, wedding invitation, where you are living in Ontario. You need to prove you are moving to Ontario so you need proof of residence.
Yes, I have all related to my employer who refused to accomodate me.
I just wanted to know what specific documents need EI to prove that we may be getting married.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I have all related to my employer who refused to accomodate me.
I just wanted to know what specific documents need EI to prove that we may be getting married.
Wedding invitations, booked and paid deposits for venues, anything paid for and ordered - photographers. Proof that you are moving - lease, moving costs. It is not just enough to show getting married.

See the act's reference - obligation to accompany a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child to another residence,

I claimed EI when my spouse was transferred to another province. I needed letters from my employer, and proof of residence in new province, I could not claim until I moved. You may have to be living in Ontario before your claim is accepted.

Last edited: