+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CSQ(English category) while on work permit

KosmaMore

Sep 16, 2018
Hi,

I entered Canada(Montreal) on work-permit from my employer(Intra company transfer on Special Knowledge category) a year back. Now I have become eligible for applying for CSQ.

When I checked with my company they told that I need to go through Labour market check, they need to post a job offer and need to wait for a month if they can get a candidate who can do my job with 1 year of training.

Now I have experience of 5 years with my current employer and my background is IT and my primary skill set is software development(Java, DB, Linux) along with the business domain knowledge from my current company.

However I read here http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/employeurs/embaucher-permanent/demande/index.html that

"
Recruitment procedures
If the candidate you wish to hire on a permanent basis is already employed and has a valid work permit , you are not required to take steps to fill the position by the local workforce before submit your application, and you do not need to provide evidence of it."

so as per above I get an exemption from Labour market impact, so I can apply in English category through my employer's validated job offer.

I'm asked to learn French right now, and honestly till my complete life I have learned English, now it will take me time to learn French considering other things in day to day life.

Can someone please guide if based on above I can suggest my company to file my PR as there is no labour market impact assessment is needed?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi,

I entered Canada(Montreal) on work-permit from my employer(Intra company transfer on Special Knowledge category) a year back. Now I have become eligible for applying for CSQ.

When I checked with my company they told that I need to go through Labour market check, they need to post a job offer and need to wait for a month if they can get a candidate who can do my job with 1 year of training.

Now I have experience of 5 years with my current employer and my background is IT and my primary skill set is software development(Java, DB, Linux) along with the business domain knowledge from my current company.

However I read here http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/employeurs/embaucher-permanent/demande/index.html that

"
Recruitment procedures
If the candidate you wish to hire on a permanent basis is already employed and has a valid work permit , you are not required to take steps to fill the position by the local workforce before submit your application, and you do not need to provide evidence of it."

so as per above I get an exemption from Labour market impact, so I can apply in English category through my employer's validated job offer.

I'm asked to learn French right now, and honestly till my complete life I have learned English, now it will take me time to learn French considering other things in day to day life.

Can someone please guide if based on above I can suggest my company to file my PR as there is no labour market impact assessment is needed?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks
Are you sure you want to stay in Quebec and apply for CSQ ? Do a search in forums with "CSQ delays" and see for yourself if you are making the right decision.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Can you please clarify my doubt above?

> If the candidate you wish to hire on a permanent basis is already employed and has a valid work permit , you are not required to take steps to fill the position by the local workforce before submit your application, and you do not need to provide evidence of it.

This means your employer need not show advertising and recruitment efforts. It doesn't mean your employer is exempt from LMIA or CAQ. Your software engineer profession is not exempt from LMIA. Your company has to apply for "Simplified LMIA" and CAQ to extend your work permit. Since software engineers are in high demand category, the only exemption is that your employer do not have to show advertising and recruitment efforts to hire citizens and your employer can apply for simplified process since software profession is in high wage and demand.

> so I can apply in English category through my employer's validated job offer.

A job offer from your employer is not the same as "validated job offer". To get a validated job offer from MIDI, you and your employer have to apply for it through MIDI, wait for an unknown amount of time
and MIDI will give you a validated job offer document, that is if you are lucky to get through their legendary bureaucracy.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/formulaires/formulaire-titre/validation-emploi-permanent.html
Once you get your validated job offer, you can apply for CSQ which might give you "supposedly priority" than normal CSQ.​

Simplified LMIA steps

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/obtaining-authorizations/worker-high-wage/steps-employer.html

List of professions eligible for simplified LMIA

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/employeurs/embaucher-temporaire/recrutement-haut-salaire/liste-professions-2017/index.html

Now if you are applying to extend your work permit through Global Talent Stream, that's a different game.

I am giving a little piece of advice, do not apply CSQ. Inland CSQ software engineer applicants are waiting for more than 2 years without an end in sight. Quebec immigration is not keen of keeping or attracting high skilled talents. A cab driver who speaks French from their French colonies have better chances than you for getting a CSQ.

You best path to PR is to gain 1 year of Canadian work experience, quit job and move out Quebec and apply Express Entry in CEC class from Ontario. You will get your residency in 4-6 months. If you apply CSQ, current wait time is 32 months for CSQ , then Federal 19 months, so a total of 4.25 years in a happy path. You will be citizen by then if you apply for Express Entry.

Qwerty092

Apr 18, 2018
I agree with cherti. Please take his advice serious tho, or you’ll regret your choice. Don’t suffer the samething as we do. You can apply outside quebec and then live in quebec after you become pr.